Tutorial or Senario

Poll ended at Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:45 am

I would rather a video show me how to play
21%
Let me run through a tutorial mission!
43%
LEFT MOUSE BUTTON SPAM!!!!!!!!
29%
What is this "Eh Oh See"? (see DoW's "How do I.." thread if you select this)
7%

Total votes: 14

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Dancing, er..Playing with the Devs

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:45 am

Last night we had two AoC devs online playing...and passing out pointers and tips (like always try to dodge to your opponents left...since their swing comes around from the right...i never thought of that) but they brought up some other things...

Would you feel if the game benefited from a tutorial video...or a 1 player mission for a tutorial? there is ALOT of finesse in the game that many people miss out on that make it a much much better game.

also please post up any other ideas or questions you have about this game, they like answering questions...and basically like talking about their mod, I will see to it they get those ideas or you get answered...

GET AOC!
CG6505 CPT Nelson LCDR Wischmeier AST1 Skimin AMT2 Nichols-4SEP08
CG1705 LCDR Barnes LT Bryant AMTC Seidman AET2 Grigonis AET2 Beacham AMT2 Moletzsky AMT3 Kreder-29OCT09
CG6017 LT Krueger AMT1 Hoke AMT2 Banks-07JUL10
CG6535 LCDR Taylor LTjg Cameron ASTC Jorge AET3 Knight-29FEB12
WPB87340-2 BMC Terrell Horne-2Dec12
WMSL751 BM3 Obendorf-18DEC13

Tarrock
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Tarrock » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:01 am

Did the lag ever get any better?Got fustrated and quit after that mass stair map ended because of the lag.

Prob needs to be a 1 player scenario or mini-campaign explaining objectives(like board gathering) and basic combat. From my experience, tutorial videos are really boring to watch. Keeps a player more intrested if they can interact with the tutorial.
[img]http://i509.photobucket.com/albums/s335/TopHatDesign/demoteam3Tarrock.png[/img]

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:37 pm

yeah the lag subsided...im actually glad we had that lag...showed me the server was at capacity!!

but come on people get me your questions and responses...dont waste an opportunity to talk to the devs...they are genuinely interested in any questions/comments you have...
CG6505 CPT Nelson LCDR Wischmeier AST1 Skimin AMT2 Nichols-4SEP08
CG1705 LCDR Barnes LT Bryant AMTC Seidman AET2 Grigonis AET2 Beacham AMT2 Moletzsky AMT3 Kreder-29OCT09
CG6017 LT Krueger AMT1 Hoke AMT2 Banks-07JUL10
CG6535 LCDR Taylor LTjg Cameron ASTC Jorge AET3 Knight-29FEB12
WPB87340-2 BMC Terrell Horne-2Dec12
WMSL751 BM3 Obendorf-18DEC13

Cephas
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cephas » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:52 am

LEFT MOUSE BUTTON SPAM!

Seriously, though, I'd like an opportunity to walk through a tutorial: once again, TheVille sets a steep learning curve.
Yay, target! Here to pad your stats!
VIEW CONTENT:
Also, house Medic for Fanciful Unicorns, Ocho Cup 2011 champions! (and my wife went into labor 6 hours after the final!)

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:15 am

A tutorial mission can be difficult to .script and develop. . . especially if they haven't written an AI so you can interact with others. . .

I would think some increased tooltips .scripted in game might be more useful and a lot easier to do, especially since each map seems to have pretty different situations.

Even before the update, it was tough to understand how the machinery worked or what you were supposed to do with it, having tooltips pop up would have gone a long way toward understanding what to do and when to do it. Also, players who know what to do and how things work can turn them off.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

MasterChef
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MasterChef » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:23 am

I'm not really big on tutorials. But I managed to sort of figure this game out.

Maybe they could have an option that when you die it could post some survival pointers/tips while you are waiting to spawn.

Something like...

"You died...try to dodge to your opponents left...since their swing comes around from the right"

But, I would want to be able to turn that option off since I'm awesome.

shimmybot
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by shimmybot » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:21 pm

:lol:

LadeeeDuke
USV Leadership
USV Leadership

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by LadeeeDuke » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:18 pm

[quote="Plinko";p="156503"]A tutorial mission can be difficult to .script and develop. . . especially if they haven't written an AI so you can interact with others. . .

I would think some increased tooltips .scripted in game might be more useful and a lot easier to do, especially since each map seems to have pretty different situations.

Even before the update, it was tough to understand how the machinery worked or what you were supposed to do with it, having tooltips pop up would have gone a long way toward understanding what to do and when to do it. Also, players who know what to do and how things work can turn them off.[/quote]

I really like this game. It's been alot of fun. The only difficulty has been:

a. Instinctually having to know how to use some of the tools like catapults, buckets, etc.

b. Being rather confused or lost on large objective maps. Too many task, too little direction as to what needs to be done.

c. Lastly, the large maps are full of neat perks, but it is really hard to defend so many objectives or to run to where the next objective is happening once you have lost the previous one. I love the scenery and the nooks and crannies though. That appeals to my curiosity.