DeafOfficeWorker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Progress Report on 2/20/09 Patch

Post by DeafOfficeWorker » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:05 am

From the AoC website:

"Hey Guys, things are super busy for the team lately, so the preview thursday's have come to an end. Right now we're in our revamp, polish and bugfix stage. At this point pretty much all of the developers and testers can't wait to release and we're all very anxious and excited to see what you guys think of all our work over the past few months.

As a team we know how important some little things can be, and that's why this week i wanted to let you guys in on some of the smaller changes in terms of workload we've made, but these little tweaks can have a huge impact on gameplay and we believe we've got a winning combination here and that you should see the servers a little fuller after CR1 ;).

A large portion of time has been spent optimizing previous and new maps to make them play smoother and try to lower the demand level of our maps, we've actually managed to produce significant FPS improvements on the vast majority of our maps and we're really excited about this so anyone who was having issues with the game before should defiantly give us another shot and should see some improvements there.

We've also made the standard movement in the game faster, you will get across the map faster and have some more freedom in your evasion tactics and we've worked out a system that should see a lot more variety in terms of how different people move and fight ingame. Another little thing we've done is called "traveling time", what this means is that after first spawning you will be able to sprint for a period of time at no stamina cost- getting you to the battle faster and not forcing you to rest before engaging.

We've tried to eliminate some of the less natural aspects of the game that seemed popular as well, you will note that in various situations you will no longer be able to bunny hop and do these sneaky little jump or crouching things to avoid your opponents swings because that's not what we want our combat to be about so we've made it a whole lot harder to abuse the combat and movement system in that regard which should come as a relief to many players.

A big change we've also made is parrying speed, its now much more a reflex game because your actions respond faster to your commands, so you have to make split second decisions on your toes to stay alive and it makes it very exciting. Additionally we have made all the parry speeds the same time, and the result is incredible, before it was only truly possible to have duels when you met another player of a similar class, now in CR1 you see epic duels taking place everywhere, between all the different classes and its a much more enjoyable experience.

The biggest change that's been clear to us in the combat is that the overheads and stabs now play a crucial role, weapons such as the halberd and spear have devastating stabs and can no longer rely on their slash to do near as much damage, so you have to be smart with these types of weapons. Basically on the field now weapons and classes play different, distinct roles and it has added a lot of flavour and variety to the game that we are very pleased with and hope you will be too!

The next week or two might be pretty silent from our side but we have a few things lined up for the future to keep you guys up to date with the progress so hopefully you've all got a big red circle around the 20th of February on your calendars and are as excited about this release as we are!"

Discuss. :)
[img]http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s68/pootleshooter/kpsdow.gif[/img]

Stevo
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun
Minecraft name: StevoTVR
Uplay name: StevoTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Stevo » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:41 pm

Cool. :)

CastleDoctrine
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Progress Report on 2/20/09 Patch

Post by CastleDoctrine » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:45 pm

The "traveling time" change seems to strike at one of my chief complaints about current AoC gameplay: movement speed. Compared to other Source Mods (PVKII for example), it can be painfully slow (even for lightly armored classes). This will help after spawning, and we shall see how much faster each class is after the spawn boost wears off.

Curbing "bunny hop" and crouch combat should be an improvement, but will depend heavily on how the hit detection system has been changed.

The standardization of parrying is a welcome change. It should increase the skill required to parry, giving experienced players an advantage.
I've never had much success with overhead attacks. Perhaps the changes made to them will make them more useful, at least to me. :lol:
Last edited by CastleDoctrine on Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeafOfficeWorker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by DeafOfficeWorker » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:46 pm

[quote="Stevo";p="151353"]Cool. :)[/quote]

Succinct and to the point. :P

Anyone else?

I like the fact that the overhead and stabbing attacks are getting a much needed nerf. It just didn't make sense to use any other attack than the slash with the present build.

Additionally, the improvements on speed, combat mechanics and optimizing the maps (thank gawd!) should speed up game play.

The most common complaint I've heard is, "I like the game but it's sooooo sloooowwwwww."

I'm really looking forward to this patch. :)

CastleDoctrine
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by CastleDoctrine » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:53 pm

[quote="DeafOfficeWorker";p="151356"]I like the fact that the overhead and stabbing attacks are getting a much needed nerf. It just didn't make sense to use any other attack than the slash with the present build.[/quote] :? Perhaps I'm reading the update news wrong. Are they nerfing the overhead and stabbing attacks or the slash?
[quote="DeafOfficeWorker";p="151356"]I'm really looking forward to this patch. :)[/quote]Me too.

DeafOfficeWorker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by DeafOfficeWorker » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:58 pm

[quote="CastleDoctrine";p="151357"] :? Perhaps I'm reading the update news wrong. Are they nerfing the overhead and stabbing attacks or the slash?
[/quote]

Whichever is getting tweaked, it appears to me that halberds are going to do more damage with a stab or overhead chop instead of a slash (which is how it should be, IMO).

Realistically, that's how my favorite weapon should work. ;)

CastleDoctrine
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by CastleDoctrine » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:17 pm

[quote="DeafOfficeWorker";p="151358"]Whichever is getting tweaked, it appears to me that halberds are going to do more damage with a stab or overhead chop instead of a slash (which is how it should be, IMO).

Realistically, that's how my favorite weapon should work. ;)[/quote]Agreed!

JohnCarterofMars
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun

Ville Awards

Post by JohnCarterofMars » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:56 pm

well I hope they don't nerf the stab attack on the spear!

as to the parry standardization, thank goodness! jeez, after being used to gaming with Oblivion style melee, and PVK style, where the parry goes something like this:

[flash width=425 height=344]http://www.youtube.com/v/33si26-orZM&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

OOPs! not that part! the part when daffy uses his buck and a quarter staff... turn parry dodge...

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:50 pm

[quote="CastleDoctrine";p="151357"][quote="DeafOfficeWorker";p="151356"]I like the fact that the overhead and stabbing attacks are getting a much needed nerf. It just didn't make sense to use any other attack than the slash with the present build.[/quote] :? Perhaps I'm reading the update news wrong. Are they nerfing the overhead and stabbing attacks or the slash?
[quote="DeafOfficeWorker";p="151356"]I'm really looking forward to this patch. :)[/quote]Me too.[/quote]

some weapons are getting nerfed with overhead some are getting buffed with over head... i cant wait to charge with my 2h sword and swing a crushing overhead

btw after some searching i found this

http://www.age-of-chivalry.com/media/aocsoundupdate.wav

i like the new sounds!
CG6505 CPT Nelson LCDR Wischmeier AST1 Skimin AMT2 Nichols-4SEP08
CG1705 LCDR Barnes LT Bryant AMTC Seidman AET2 Grigonis AET2 Beacham AMT2 Moletzsky AMT3 Kreder-29OCT09
CG6017 LT Krueger AMT1 Hoke AMT2 Banks-07JUL10
CG6535 LCDR Taylor LTjg Cameron ASTC Jorge AET3 Knight-29FEB12
WPB87340-2 BMC Terrell Horne-2Dec12
WMSL751 BM3 Obendorf-18DEC13

DeafOfficeWorker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by DeafOfficeWorker » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:49 pm

I feel like Daffy...er Robin Hood...when I play AoC sometimes. :oops: