If your post doesn't fit any other boards subject, then post it here
John Doe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: 2015 Advent Calendar

Post by John Doe » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:17 pm

Well, I didnt try the Blueberry Maple Ale as of yet, I am still afraid of it and I read a review by someone else that has scared me :)

This morning I opened the door for the 15th and discovered my first lite beer of the calendar....zero calories what so ever...... Ya, there was no beer there for the 15th....I sliced the damned thing open to see if it had rolled underneath or something but thats not the case, there just wasnt a beer there for today....... It must have been really bad that they pulled it and didnt tell anyone ;-P

I guess we will see what tomorrow brings.

JD

John Doe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by John Doe » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:18 pm

Oh, here is the review by another person more knowledgeable on beer than I (that doesnt take much, I have met stumps that know more about beer than I do )

http://beerwinnipeg.com/2015/12/15/day- ... ple-stout/

And, he had a beer on the 15th to review, as I said in the last post I didnt.

JD

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:22 pm

Curses! Sorry to hear you got stiffed on a beer, and aren't interested in the other. Something about artificial blueberry syrup just didn't seem appealing, eh? I don't blame ya! Here's to another, better, beer soon :-D
-Boss Llama

John Doe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by John Doe » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:48 pm

Tonights selection is called a Baltic Porter from the Duck Rabbit Brewing Company.

This was an enjoyable beer, dark in color, hardly any carbonation, deep rich flavor, chocolatelyish but not in a bad way, malty, an enjoyable beer.

Yes, that blueberry maple is still in the fridge, I will save it for the weekend. Its interesting, the beer for yesterday according to the other blog I linked to I have in a different slot on my advent calendar, and it sounds like he didnt care for it much at all. We shall see once I get to whatever date its under.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:35 pm

Duck-Rabbit! They're a good one. Glad to hear you enjoyed it :-D
-Boss Llama

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:10 pm

That's the first (brewery) that I've had before. I'm pretty sure it was the Duck-Rabbit Milk Stout (which I remember being pretty good).

Coriander is pretty common to find in Summer-ish ales and lagers, I've never found it to be a strong or obvious flavor in any beer I've had with it. I think Blue Moon is one that features it.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

John Doe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by John Doe » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:24 am

Well I tried the Blueberry Maple Ale last night since I forgot to take yesterdays beer out and put it into the fridge. The beer btw was a sour cherry stout if I recall, I am guessing that I wont like it.

Well, once I had the Blueberry Maple Ale poured I wasnt in a hurry to try it, It didnt really smell strongly of anything which I thought was a good thing. Once I tried my first sip I knew I didnt like the beer, it had a dark, earthy flavor, that didnt remind me of blueberry or maple but it was a flavor that I did not like at all.

A few more sips confirmed that I didnt like it, I couldnt taste a heavy sweetness that the other blogger reported and it didnt taste particularly sweet to me, again just a deep, earthy flavor that I didnt find that enjoyable.

Ah well, we shall see what fridays brew brings to the table

John Doe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by John Doe » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:46 pm

Sorry folks I pretty much dropped the ball on posting here about the beers.

I have not been feeling all that well as of late so theres been more than a few nights where I didnt feel like trying the beer for the day, and after falling so far behind I just lost my enthusiasm for trying to keep on top of the posts.

I do have pics of many of the beers and I do remember my thoughts on most. I have 2 left in the fridge, both chocolate ales that I have not had the interest in trying as of yet, and today when I went to toss out the empty box I found the missing beer from earlier in the month.

I've pretty much reached the conclusion that an advent calendar with different offerings from may smaller breweries was a neat idea, I am just not thrilled with the many Christmas themed beers that they put in it. I would be much more interested if they included the #1 offerings from the various breweries, and if they didnt stray into less traditional flavors, ah well the only way to learn was to try right?

I will get some pics up later today if all goes as planned.

Cheers all.

JD