Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Name Your Favorite Sporting Moment

Post by bluntspoon » Sat May 17, 2014 10:13 pm

This is mine.

1994 Caribbean Cup
Grenada went into the match with a superior goal difference, meaning that Barbados needed to win by two goals to progress to the finals. The trouble was caused by two things. First, unlike most group stages in football competitions, the organizers had deemed that all games must have a winner. All games drawn over 90 minutes would go to sudden death extra time. Secondly and most importantly, there was an unusual rule which stated that in the event of a game going to sudden death extra time the goal would count double, meaning that the winner would be awarded a two goal victory.

Barbados was leading 2-0 until the 83rd minute, when Grenada scored, making it 2-1. Approaching the dying moments, the Barbadians realized they had little chance of scoring past Grenada's mass defense in the time available, so they deliberately scored an own goal to tie the game at 2-2. This would send the game into extra time and give them another half hour to break down the defense. The Grenadians realized what was happening and attempted to score an own goal as well, which would put Barbados back in front by one goal and would eliminate Barbados from the competition.
However, the Barbados players started defending their opposition's goal to prevent them from doing this, and during the game's last five minutes, the fans were treated to the incredible sight of Grenada trying to score in either goal while Barbados defended both ends of the pitch. Barbados successfully held off Grenada for the final five minutes, sending the game into extra time. In extra time, Barbados notched the game-winner, and, according to the rules, was awarded a 4-2 victory, which put them through to the next round.

c4ridw3n
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Name Your Favorite Sporting Moment

Post by c4ridw3n » Sat May 17, 2014 10:34 pm

When people run nude across the sports field! That always cracks me up.

Ok, really, when I was young- watching football with "the refrigerator Perry" crushing and leaping and hulk smashing people really made an impact.

Daryldime
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Daryldime » Sun May 18, 2014 5:36 am

I actually have that on tape somewhere blunt. It was hilarious. If I recall something similar happened a while back where a ref mass a bad call, so in protest, the team just started racking up own goals to give the lesser team a goal difference of somewhere around +50

: it was +149
You’re probably wondering how a soccer team could be so bad that they let 149 goals be scored, but the truth is it was a form of protest. The event occurred in 2002 after a 2-2 draw between rival teams Stade Olympique de L’emyrne, or SOE, and AS Adema of Madagascar, which resulted in the referees awarding a penalty causing SOE to lose the game.

As a form of protest for being robbed of the title because of a penalty, the players purposefully scored 149 goals into their own net at the next game as spectators stormed the ticket booths demanding refunds. Besides being very confused at first, the opposing team eventually stood around in good humor at the planned stunt.
Warpath Cup 2011 Spy for Hades Babies - 2nd Place
Warpath Cup 2012 Spy for Inner Children Unleashed - Champions

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Sun May 18, 2014 10:27 am

October 8th 1995, game 5 of the ALDS Mariners versus Yankees.

Since their creation 19 years prior, the Mariners had never made the play-offs. This season, they were back by 13 games, but went on an incredible late-season win-streak and clawed their way to tie, generating the slogan "Refuse to Lose" in the process. They then won a one-game tie-breaker, and went to the ALDS against the New York Yankees. They lost both the first two games, which were at Yankee stadium, where the Yankees fans acted horribly, throwing thousands of (mostly full) beer cups, as well as trash, batteries, and other missiles, at Mariners fielders. When the series moved to Seattle, the M's won the next two, and game 5 came along, with the series in the balance.

The game was tied 4-4 in the 8th, and stayed that way through the 9th and the 10th. In the top of the 11th, the Yankees got a run, and things were looking bad. Coming up for the Mariners, however, were Joey Cora, Ken Griffey Jr., and Edgar Martinez.

The look on Griffey's face at 4:49 will always stay with me. I was watching that game live with my brother (as we had all the others), and I think we were as happy as he was.
-Boss Llama

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Sun May 18, 2014 1:51 pm

I typically don't watch sports, not a big fan of sitting to watch and I tend to hate how passionate people around me get about them. The only thing that really comes to mind for me is a case a couple years ago in NASCAR where, on a free lap during a caution flag, something on someone's car (I forget who) broke and caused the vehicle to careen into one of the maintenance vehicles cleaning up the recent accident, resulting in a fairly sizable jet-fuel fire on the back end of the track. Not necessarily a favorite or a fun moment, but I generally don't cling to sports and that's really one of the few things I really recall, simply for the reasoning that it happened and was a little different than your average NASCAR accident.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

Larry
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Larry » Sun May 18, 2014 2:32 pm

One of my favorite would be Jordan Westerkamp's catch to win the game against Northwestern. I was at the LANfest 26 at some place in Omaha, since it was somewhere in Nebraska, the football game was on. After a long game of mess ups, there was about 4 seconds left and we had our backup QB for the last play. Now, I think there was 300 something people there, but the place was quiet as a crypt. He throws the ball up, Westerkamp catches it, and the place went nuts for a solid 10 minutes. Not the most spectacular play, but I'll remember it.

Thanks to Seagreens for the spiffy banner!
VIEW CONTENT:
RIP Mr. Laptop 5/21/13
USAHB-Team Hand Brake 2012 Villy-Stuff
#HL3 TVC '13
FAIL Warpath Cup 2012-Proud to FAIL
Heck's Kitchen 2011

BETTEH
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BETTEH » Sun May 18, 2014 2:46 pm

4 Days In October

2004 DOD Ville Cup Champs - Hobo Strike Squad
Fanciful Unicorn! 2011 Warpath Cup + Villympics Champs.

bluntspoon
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by bluntspoon » Sun May 18, 2014 9:29 pm

BETTEH wrote:4 Days In October

From Wikipedia.

Four Days in October is a baseball documentary produced by Gary Waksman,[1] ESPN and MLB Productions. It chronicles the last four games of the 2004 American League Championship Series between the Boston Red Sox and the New York Yankees. The series become famous when the Red Sox — who lost the first three games of the series to the Yankees — became the first team in Major League Baseball history[2] win a best of 7 playoff series after falling behind 3–0.

The documentary begins with few highlights of the Yankees–Red Sox rivalry over the years and then some highlights from Game 3 which was won by the Yankees 19–8 at Fenway Park. The show's narrative begins with Game 4. The Yankees stood three outs away from sweeping the Red Sox at Fenway and advancing to their 40th World Series appearance. The series turned when the Red Sox rallied to tie the game in the 9th inning. They would win it on a home run by David Ortiz and keep the series alive. The ninth inning rally proved to be the turning point of the series as the Red Sox would win the next three games, clinching the series at Yankees Stadium.[3]

The Red Sox would go on to sweep the St. Louis Cardinals and win their first World Series championship in 86 years a week later, ending the 2004 postseason on an 8 game winning streak.

The Yankees eventually did go back to the World Series in 2009, defeating the Philadelphia Phillies in 6 games to capture their 27th championship at their new ballpark, also called Yankee Stadium.

Deslock
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Deslock » Fri May 23, 2014 9:10 am

Da Bears!

It had just started to snow before this play, and I still believe that Papa Bear was giving his blessing.

Dog isn't Evil, he's Canadian. There's a difference. :lol:
CV 6 USS Enterprise 12 May 1938 - 17 February 1947
CVN 65 USS Enterprise 25 November 1961 - 1 December 2012
CVN 80 USS Enterprise 2025

Gizanked
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Gizanked » Fri May 23, 2014 12:19 pm