jettah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Wilderness-ish questions

Post by jettah » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:41 pm

I know we have quite a few "outdoors-people" among the ranks and was hoping for some input on something.

I am currently very unhappy in my job situation and I am looking at moving back to Virginia and getting a job that does more outdoors. I am toying between some ideas and I have a bit of a background that might support some of these ideas.
I was previously a EMT and then a Paramedic, I changed careers and let that lapse. I am looking at getting my EMT back and learned a little about the opportunity as a Wilderness EMT. I was also a boyscout, quit during my Eagle project, and interned at a Boyscout camp for a few weeks.

I am curious what experience, if any, that any of you have had with wilderness jobs, wilderness EMT's and outdoor camp work?
I have never done any search and rescue, but not opposed to trying it out. I have seen that some of you do search and rescue and outdoor guides. Would love to hear your thoughts/opinions.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys!

M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Wilderness-ish questions

Post by M's » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:36 pm

Have you given thought to working in this field http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/law-enforc ... ecruiting/

ADevilishPotato
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by ADevilishPotato » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:43 pm

Well search and rescue has the same high stress that comes with normal EMT work, only an added wrinkle of no man's land added in. You also have to be in pretty darn good shape to go trekking up mountains with all your safety and rescue gear on.

Outdoor guides can be really fun, esp if you have a real passion for a certain sport (rock climbing, skiing, river rafting, etc.) but the major downside is that these are usually seasonal jobs. That is really the biggest issue with a lot of "outdoor work" however (firefighting, trail crews, guiding...they only need people when there is high demand, and that is usually only part of the year).
WARPATH Cup '12- [WARPATH] We are running past all the heavies
The Ville Cup '12- (DYD) Dirty Dan's Double D's
Dust Bowl loves Warpath '13- (CD-i) Chokepoints and Demomen- international (Champions!)
The Ville Cup '13- [T^5] Tuber's Truly Terrifying Tator Tots
The Ville Cup '14- GCI_ Guild of Calamitous Intent

jettah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by jettah » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:59 pm

mlite, I had only previously looked at Park Ranger positions. I will add the conservation officer to my list of possibles.
My familiarity with firearms is still pretty limited. I only own 1 pistol, and have randomly shot a 22 rifle and a shotgun once.
Never went hunting. Does sound interesting though.

ADP, the seasonal part of it seems to be a recurring theme. I was looking into an outdoor camp position, but that is only work for 6 months out of the year. I figure a wilderness medic would be an asset to search and rescue teams. I also think that most search and rescue teams are comprised of a lot of volunteers. Not sure how many paid positions might exist.

kkpyro
USV Leadership
USV Leadership

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by kkpyro » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:19 pm

ADevilishPotato wrote:Well search and rescue has the same high stress that comes with normal EMT work, only an added wrinkle of no man's land added in. You also have to be in pretty darn good shape to go trekking up mountains with all your safety and rescue gear on.

Outdoor guides can be really fun, esp if you have a real passion for a certain sport (rock climbing, skiing, river rafting, etc.) but the major downside is that these are usually seasonal jobs. That is really the biggest issue with a lot of "outdoor work" however (firefighting, trail crews, guiding...they only need people when there is high demand, and that is usually only part of the year).
I have a bro-in-law who is a paramedic on a helicopter. He also does a lot of search and rescue especially in winter.
Tater is right, you have to be in amazing shape. He trains with a weighted pack and trains often.
But, he loves his job. It's essentially his dream job.

Best of luck to you, Jettah, in whatever you choose to do. :)

Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire
The Ville Cup 2012- [SOLTAN] Solis Tanquam
Dustbowl loves Warpath 2013-CDi
The Ville Cup 2013- [T^5] Tuber's Truly Terrifying Tater Tots
The Ville Cup 2014- <gTa> Goat Theft Anonymous

Soup Nazi
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Soup Nazi » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:36 pm

Soup reporting in. You'll definitely need to take either a wilderness first responder or wilderness EMT course if you want to do SAR work. If I recall correctly, my WFR was around $650 but they can run up to a grand for the EMT course. I HIGHLY recommend taking at least a WFR course if you are considering any outdoor fields or even if you're just into lots of recreational activities.

As far as being a guide, there's a certain level of familiarity that goes into joining up with a guide group. Most of the times it's a local group of people that know each quite well (depending on the activity). It took me over a year to find a good rappel/canyoneering group in my area that would accept me. Finding good associations is key.

As far as guiding, there's a pretty fine line between finding a niche and becoming too specialized. Having a good base in 2-3 different areas is recommended, particularly in ones that are good for different seasons. For instance, Canyoneering is my big deal, and I guide in the fall and spring. Summer I sometimes join a rafting company (I'm trying to improve my whitewater kayaking enough so I can earn more from that) or work for a lifeguarding/swim lesson school. But as everyone has said earlier, everything is seasonal. If having money fluctuations worries you, this might not work out well. That being said, I'd love to help get you into our world! Enjoy the granola!
=USV= [BB] [IV] [WARPATH] [USAHB] :TIME: :TOOL:

Soup Nazi
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Soup Nazi » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:39 pm

ADevilishPotato wrote:That is really the biggest issue with a lot of "outdoor work" however (firefighting, trail crews, guiding...they only need people when there is high demand, and that is usually only part of the year).
Side note: Do you have any contacts in the BLM/parks management in AZ potato?

M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by M's » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:51 pm

jettah wrote:mlite, I had only previously looked at Park Ranger positions. I will add the conservation officer to my list of possibles.
My familiarity with firearms is still pretty limited. I only own 1 pistol, and have randomly shot a 22 rifle and a shotgun once.
They will teach you everything you need to know about firearms. And your background in EMT is a plus.

jettah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by jettah » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:07 pm

Awesome, thanks for all of the info so far guys. So much great info that I would have a hard time finding out about otherwise.

I am leaning less toward the guide portion of it until I have some more experience with a wilderness area.

Soup, I have looked at EMT classes out here in Cali and they are going for around 1000. If I get back to Virginia and get shacked up with my Volunteer Rescue Squad again, they will front the cost of my EMT class. REI out here offers wilderness FA classes that run around 250ish. I am an REI member, so theres a small discount with that, and it only takes a weekend I think.

More input still welcome if you guys have any. Particularly interested in things to avoid, bad organizations, or things that I should def look out for when getting into these areas (certifications, trainings, etc).

ADevilishPotato
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by ADevilishPotato » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:38 pm

Soup Nazi wrote:
ADevilishPotato wrote:That is really the biggest issue with a lot of "outdoor work" however (firefighting, trail crews, guiding...they only need people when there is high demand, and that is usually only part of the year).
not really, more like a chain of contacts to a contact, but that doesn't really work for you :(
WARPATH Cup '12- [WARPATH] We are running past all the heavies
The Ville Cup '12- (DYD) Dirty Dan's Double D's
Dust Bowl loves Warpath '13- (CD-i) Chokepoints and Demomen- international (Champions!)
The Ville Cup '13- [T^5] Tuber's Truly Terrifying Tator Tots
The Ville Cup '14- GCI_ Guild of Calamitous Intent

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:40 pm

I did Search and Rescue for four years with a major volunteer unit; Pierce County Explorer Search and Rescue, out of Tacoma, Washington. The paid professional positions tend to be the liaisons from the local sheriff or police department, while pretty much every bit of the SAR part itself is volunteers. We would field a ratio of 50:1, 100:1, or more volunteers to paid people for any given hunt, with targets ranging from lost children to bullet casings to missing hikers to high profile murder victims. Even the mountain rescue teams and motorized units were volunteer. Excepting perhaps the Coast Guard, where it's still just one of many duties, professional SAR is generally a collateral duty within some other job - typically law enforcement for wilderness incidents, or fire departments for urban or technical rescue.

If you did want to do SAR, your medical skills would be extremely useful, but I think you'd likely have to work for a locally-based paramedic company and volunteer on the side if you aren't looking to be a LEO or firefighter. The park service is another option (though usually LEO as well) - they're the biggest repository I'm familiar with of year-round wilderness professionals with that sort of focus - check USAJobs.gov for listings. Many are seasonal or PT-NTE, but there are also full-time ones regularly available in various places.

One thing to consider is that you should probably choose the career you want to pursue before deciding where to move. The west is much more active with jobs and activities in wilderness fields (especially volunteer SAR work!) than the east.
-Boss Llama

Soup Nazi
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Soup Nazi » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:02 pm

ADevilishPotato wrote:
Soup Nazi wrote:
not really, more like a chain of contacts to a contact, but that doesn't really work for you :(
Darn.. haha I'm having quite a time trying to get access to probably the best canyon in the superstition wilderness, but it's technically trespassing to get there, unless you get a written letter permitting you.

jettah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by jettah » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:34 pm

Great info on Search and Rescue Alizee.

I am moving back to VA to be closer to family. I am out here completely on my own in San Diego. I would love a chance to get up to the Northwest, but its not currently in the cards. I have a girlfriend and her career to consider as well (to add more chaos to the mix). She was born and raised in San Diego and absolutely loves my hometown (we have been back for Xmas 3 times). So she really wants to move back there with me.
Roanoke, Va is smack dab in the middle of the Blue Ridge Mountains and the Appalachian Trail runs right through town. Seems to have some decent outdoor opportunities.

Love the great info, thanks again guys!