M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Childhood memories............

Post by M's » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:16 am

Lets hear your stories
I'll Start, but remember I grew up in a different time and place. So don't Judge and everything here is true.

Growing up me and my brother was raised by our momma and granny. And were taught some valuable lessons in life like.

1. If you ever call S.C.A.N.( suspected child abuse and neglect) When the time they get here. There'll be a reason for them to be here.

2. Or driving down the interstate and all of a sudden momma cross 2 lanes of traffic and the car comes screeching to a stop on the shoulder. I knew either me or my brother was about to be beat. For something 1 of said or did.

3. Never try to sign a note from the principal, trying to pass it off as mommas, when he called to let ther know he sent it home.

4. Show disrespect to an adult at anytime. And if you did 1 thing was for sure, you ain't gonna sit right for a while.

5. Graduate Highschool and present her with a bouquet of roses for raising you right. And then watching her cry for the first time in your life.

kkpyro
USV Leadership
USV Leadership

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Childhood memories............

Post by kkpyro » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:28 pm

Ahh...Mlite, you were raised in the South. I was born in Mississippi and I recognize a good Southern Momma anywhere.

My father was from the UK, became and American citizen and joined the Navy. We traveled to 12 different states
before I was 6. At which time my dad was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer. We moved to California to be close
to his mom before he died. He lived until I was 14, many years after the doctors said he would.

What did I learn? Lots of things come and go, but family is always there. Everyday, my dad said he loved us.
In what could have been an unstable childhood, knowing that grounded my sister and I.

Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire
The Ville Cup 2012- [SOLTAN] Solis Tanquam
Dustbowl loves Warpath 2013-CDi
The Ville Cup 2013- [T^5] Tuber's Truly Terrifying Tater Tots
The Ville Cup 2014- <gTa> Goat Theft Anonymous

MasterChef
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MasterChef » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:31 pm

My Dad was in the Air Force while i was growing up. So I got to spend 12 years overseas. 4 years in Japan and then 8 years in Germany. I don't remember all that much from living in Japan, just a few memories here and there. I do remember waking up for my 5th birthday because my parents were taking me to Tokyo Disney land.

I remember quite a bit more from living in Germany. I got the chance to travel all over Europe as a kid and I know young me never really appreciated that as much as I should have. Looking back at things, it was so great that we got to travel Europe in a not normal touristy fashion. Some things would be a matter of just packing the car and driving somewhere. And going to other places involved us traveling around to go to various motorcycle rallies. Going to all the different rallies I got to visit places like, Sweden, Czech Republic, Austria, and Italy. So I spent a good portion of my youth with drunk bikers.

I don't know if I really have any sort of life lessons from all of that, other than just wishing I had appreciated it more back then.

M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by M's » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:32 pm

KK you're correct. Chef with what I've read, you've come to appreciate things in a different light do to your experience.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:24 pm

Hmm, good topic. Here are some non-sequitur musings on things I think shaped me as a kid:

I grew up with professors for parents - one an American historian, the other a music historian. As a result, while we didn't have lots of money, we did have lots of books. Books were the primary decoration in our house, a trend that continues for me (and both of them) today. Any time I had a question about the world, the answer would be "let's look that up!" followed by a trip to the appropriate book shelf for references on everything from presidents to Agincourt. While there wasn't much of a sorting system visible, both my parents could immediately put their finger on the correct tome out of the thousands they have. They wouldn't simply look it up themselves and tell me the answer - they would show me how to use the reference, and then ask me what I had found out. I practically collect reference books today, and it is one of my dreams to own the unabridged OED, as well as a complete Encyclopedia Brittanica. The room I spend the most time thinking about designing in a theoretical future house is the library (it will be two stories, with a grand gallery, shelf walls made of cherry wood, and a big cushy reading chair/couch on the mezzanine in front of a bay window).

All of my family beyond my mom, dad, and brother lived thousands of miles away, so I'm used to the idea of not seeing loved ones frequently, but making the most of it when I do. Every couple years or so when we'd saved up, we would make the pilgrimage from the pacific northwest to the northeast, where we would visit relatives in New York, Pennsylvania, Maine, Vermont, and occasionally other states over the course of a couple weeks. While I don't love being outdoors, I do love the sense of space, proximity to nature, and sheer greenness of the northwest. With an enormous mountain visible out the window, and the scent of my home town's deep water ocean port always in the air (and the associated risks of both earthquake-triggered tsunamis and volcanic eruptions), I became subconsciously attached to having interesting terrain around, and a worldview that assumed some sort of symbiotic existence with natural forces. I've found that I'm not entirely comfortable in extremely flat areas like the Midwest, nor old, overly urbanized cities of the east - they just don't seem quite right.

I loved elementary school, hated middle school, and loved high school after finding theater second semester of freshman year and embracing my nerdiness as a good thing. Undergrad was likewise amazing after sorting through my first semester or two. I was fortunate to have an elementary school that was full of dedicated teachers and a principal who really loved his job and was good at it. It is telling that when he died last year, word spread around on social networks amongst many of us who hadn't spoken in 20 years, and his memorial page on the local newspaper website filled up with memories and comments from students decades ago describing how he had shaped their lives with his caring and calm demeanor. Combining that with my parents' professions, I have a deep and abiding respect for the work educators do, the challenges they face, and I firmly believe that good education and careful tutelage can forever shape peoples' lives.

I never really developed a taste for socialization as a kid, at least not in the way most folks do it. My parents were both of the watchful variety, so I certainly wouldn't have ever been allowed to go to wild parties or anything, but while I chafed at that a bit in high school, I never really felt a reason to do that anyway. I would much rather stay home than go hang out with large groups of my peers. I had a couple close friends of a similar mind, and we'd hang out, ride our bikes, etc just like anybody else, but at the end of the day, I was basically an independent child who was happy on my own. That continues to this day, and I pretty much have to be reminded to socialize. I enjoy myself fully when I'm with our group - it just doesn't usually occur to me that people might feel the need to go out and do stuff unless I'm reminded. The world is at my fingertips by opening a book or going online, so I feel little need to go looking for it. Thankfully, as a kid, my brother and father got me to join the boy scouts, so I picked up good outdoor and community experiences with them (Eagle scout, 4 palms). From there I also went and did search and rescue work, which was rewarding.

Yay, text walls!
-Boss Llama

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:39 pm

I mostly remember clouds and weightlessness as my childhood consisted of descending from my mountain fortress, fully grown and superior, to live among the masses. Other than that it was completely uneventful.

All that being said, the childhood I fabricated to tell the teeming horde, consists of me being wholly from the DC area, my Dad being an analyst for the Office of Naval Intelligence, my Mom being a foreign language teacher. Every summer we took a trip somewhere, so that I pretty much have every state except North Dakota and Alaska checked off.

To me the nonsense that surrounds the DMV area is completely normal, be it politics, traffic or what have you. The town I grew up in is an interesting mix of DC urbania and southern farmland so much so that I easily relate to any demographic having experiences that fit into both ranging from violent crime to southern hospitality...in my neighborhood the SWAT team responding to some violent crime in the house next door/across the way etc was just as common as the kids playing outside and going to the other houses for a snack...I even had to miss a baseball game because SWAT had blockaded my street...I was very upset because it meant I had to do homework...but I did get to hang out with some of the officers...and my mom offered them some tea.

In high school the same story, we had every demographic...and I could relate with every demographic, I was a Jazz/Symphonic Band Trumpeter, Football Defensive End and JROTC CSM...so I had friends of every background and as such feeling like you don't belong is a very foreign concept to me

Also death is a very familiar thing to me, be it all my grandparents or other family members, neighbors...some in situations above, to classmates...almost every year I lost a classmate or friend...ranging from various diseases to my best friend in football who I played to the left of every day getting run down by a car...that is why i have a very "meh" attitude...shite happens dont dwell too much...which is why my friends below (which I seem to be keeping the trend going from my childhood) I dont dwell...just add another name to the list and move on (in fact I had to make the executive decision and just put down line of service deaths...I have had to remove non service related ones due to space...but i am missing one CO and and few pilot/crew member friends)
Last edited by Cpt._Keyes on Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
CG6505 CPT Nelson LCDR Wischmeier AST1 Skimin AMT2 Nichols-4SEP08
CG1705 LCDR Barnes LT Bryant AMTC Seidman AET2 Grigonis AET2 Beacham AMT2 Moletzsky AMT3 Kreder-29OCT09
CG6017 LT Krueger AMT1 Hoke AMT2 Banks-07JUL10
CG6535 LCDR Taylor LTjg Cameron ASTC Jorge AET3 Knight-29FEB12
WPB87340-2 BMC Terrell Horne-2Dec12
WMSL751 BM3 Obendorf-18DEC13

NerevarineKing
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by NerevarineKing » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:20 pm

Alizée Fan wrote:I never really developed a taste for socialization as a kid, at least not in the way most folks do it. My parents were both of the watchful variety, so I certainly wouldn't have ever been allowed to go to wild parties or anything, but while I chafed at that a bit in high school, I never really felt a reason to do that anyway. I would much rather stay home than go hang out with large groups of my peers. I had a couple close friends of a similar mind, and we'd hang out, ride our bikes, etc just like anybody else, but at the end of the day, I was basically an independent child who was happy on my own. That continues to this day, and I pretty much have to be reminded to socialize. I enjoy myself fully when I'm with our group - it just doesn't usually occur to me that people might feel the need to go out and do stuff unless I'm reminded.
This sums me up pretty well actually ^
Warpath Cup '12- [ICU] Inner Children Unleashed (Champions!)
Villympics '12- [USAHB] USA Handbrake
The Ville Cup '12- [SOLTAN] Solis Tanquam
Warpath Loves Dustbowl '13- \SOBAD/
The Ville Cup '14- GCI| Guild of Calamitous Intent

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:02 pm

The biggest realization I had when I became an adult was this:

In elementry and middleschool, you'd come back from summer break and everyone would share their stories.

(from CA) One kid went to Hawaii, one to New York, one to Florida, Englad, France, etc.

I've still never been to any of those. However, not until recently I realized this. I had dirt bikes, jet skis, vacation house, boats. Went on shooting trips, backpacking/hiking, boy scout summer camps.

No other kid had these. No other kid got to spend a month at the lake. No other kid got to go on a week long backpack trip. Go skiing, wakeboarding, ride dirtbikes every weekend.

My family couldn't afford to take us to Hawaii because we were already spoiled.

jettah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by jettah » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:03 pm

My parents divorced when I was in 4th grade. After that happened I associate memories more with landmarks in my life than with the actual year it happened. I grew up as the middle child of 3 boys. My childhood was spent watching the mistakes of my older brother and learning quickly how to not do the same thing.
I was the smarter, quieter one. My older brother the outgoing and social butterfly, and my younger bro is a wonderful combination of us both.

My childhood socially was a lot like Alizee's I kept to my same group of friends for the majority of it, never went out to big parties and never got drunk till I was in college. We spent most of our High School weekends playing Super Smash bros on N64, eating Mexican food at our favorite local spot, going to the arcade at the mall, and seeing occasional movies at the theater.

My parents passed down a wonderful ability in me to be self reliant and self sufficient. Being a latch-key kid has that effect...

Not peeing on the toilet seat seemed to be a constant theme...as well as picking up after yourself, and why its important. I also learned very well how to hold a flashlight while my dad built and fixed things. Sadly, I was never really taught how to actually build or fix things, just the light holding...

I was also given a great deal of personal freedom to figure out things for myself, form my own opinions and make my own way in the world. I was never pressured into anything, and I was always given the option to not do things as well. I am really thankful for the way I grew up.

Also, I sucked my thumb until I was 10. It took breaking my thumb in PE class and getting a cast for me to break the habit.

Enjoy your day!

Perfect Villain
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Perfect Villain » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:29 pm

Everything was good in my childhood until i hit 7 or 8 then alot of fighting came up between my mom and dad constant bickering, going to sleep to get up for school the next day only to be kept up by throwing and breaking of many objects due to my mother and father... Then my mom and soon to be stepdad taking me and my brother from florida to north carolina.... My dad ended up getting a lawyer and such but nothing was ever done. My dad supposedly paid child support but me and my brother never saw it( later came to find out from my father that he was paying we just never saw it).. I hate growing up in the country due to the stuff i endured at school and stuff, it made me a tougher person but i often wonder what could and would of happened has it been different from that.... well i hit 14 and in march of 2000 i ended up nearly dying and was told i should of been dead as i got up for the morning and couldn't see or barely walk even clutching on the wall went to eat and couldn't keep anything down well my mom drove me to the hospital and i passed out in a wheelchair as soon as we arrived they ended up having to air transport me to a specialty hospital... and i woke up like 24-48 hours later told im diabetic and how i was seconds from slipping into a coma with a blood sugar of over 1200...Well that only made my life harder, I ended up at 16 getting a job working with and training horses and doing landscaping and many other things, i worked alongside my step-dad. I got to 18 and decided i wented something more and threatened to kick the tar out of my step-dad(because he tried to act like he was my real father and often said he knew he wasn't yet all the things he did made it seem like he thought he was) and my mom said i had to go, so i moved back to florida and got a job with Publix and been doing my own thing ever since.
Thanks Sparky

ADevilishPotato
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by ADevilishPotato » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:13 pm

NerevarineKing wrote:
Alizée Fan wrote:I never really developed a taste for socialization as a kid, at least not in the way most folks do it. My parents were both of the watchful variety, so I certainly wouldn't have ever been allowed to go to wild parties or anything, but while I chafed at that a bit in high school, I never really felt a reason to do that anyway. I would much rather stay home than go hang out with large groups of my peers. I had a couple close friends of a similar mind, and we'd hang out, ride our bikes, etc just like anybody else, but at the end of the day, I was basically an independent child who was happy on my own. That continues to this day, and I pretty much have to be reminded to socialize. I enjoy myself fully when I'm with our group - it just doesn't usually occur to me that people might feel the need to go out and do stuff unless I'm reminded.
Ditto :P
WARPATH Cup '12- [WARPATH] We are running past all the heavies
The Ville Cup '12- (DYD) Dirty Dan's Double D's
Dust Bowl loves Warpath '13- (CD-i) Chokepoints and Demomen- international (Champions!)
The Ville Cup '13- [T^5] Tuber's Truly Terrifying Tator Tots
The Ville Cup '14- GCI_ Guild of Calamitous Intent

Inner
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Inner » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:02 pm

ADevilishPotato wrote:
NerevarineKing wrote:
Ditto :P
Triple Ditto. 8)

My wife makes me go socialize from time to time. I'm okay with socialization, I'm also fine with public speaking and stage acting. But I'm really fine by myself too and generally prefer it. Gotta lota stuff to do!

Peahats
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Peahats » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:02 pm

MasterChef wrote:My Dad was in the Air Force while i was growing up. So I got to spend 12 years overseas. 4 years in Japan and then 8 years in Germany.
Air Force kid here too! Except I only spent three years in Germany and never went to Japan. Unfortunately, I was three years old when i was in Europe, so I don't remember much. My dad left the Air Force and joined the airline, we lived in New Hampshire for a while before moving to Virginia, and I've stayed their ever since.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:04 am

I was practically born and raised on video games. Helps when you have older brothers who were also in on it. We have a pretty sizable collection of games for older consoles and there was a point where we had all the big ones (Sony, Sega, and Nintendo, and whoever made the TurboGrafix-16). I took after the games and, like others, never took the time to develop good socialization skills. When I go through all of the games I've played through my childhood, there's one game that stands out to me that I consider the main reason why I became so interested in gaming.

Tetris Attack

I don't remember how old I was, but I remember we had just gotten a rather small TV to hook up in the bedroom. Needless to say we hooked up the Super Nintendo to it at one point. I found myself playing Tetris Attack one night and this is one of the earliest cases that I can remember where, after I began playing, several hours had passed between each look at the clock. I was hooked on this game and to this day I still load it up and play it from time to time. I don't have the cartridge on hand anymore, my brother has it for safekeeping along with the rest of the old games, but I keep a ROM of it handy. I also happen to have the ROM for Pokemon Puzzle League on N64 (the one based on the Pokemon Anime, but with improved gameplay from the original Tetris Attack), as well as the Wii Virtual Console version, and Puzzle League Express on my 3DS. I can play it whenever and wherever I want and often do from time to time. Still, I remember that first time I hit 50,000 points (it wasn't until years later that I discovered there was actually a score cap at 99,999), the first time I hit speed level 40 and found it difficult to keep up and the first time I landed an x9 skill-chain. I remember discovering the no-stop code and clearing Hard Vs without losing. Tetris Attack was my childhood.

I don't have a whole lot else, my childhood was pretty uninteresting. I was big on old cartoons. I remember being fanatically devoted to Pokemon at one point. I followed the anime to the letter up until they introduced the Gold/Silver mons to the show (so basically, up through the Orange Islands arcs). I had a bunch of the toys and even an 8" tall Pikachu stuffed animal. Don't even mention the trading card game, you should see all the stuff I have up through Neo (that said, my Mom has the full Southern Island Japanese promo set). Sadly I missed out on other great cartoons, being born shortly after their time. I didn't catch a whole lot of the great Disney cartoons, but I spent a fair amount of time watching Looney Tunes, Animaniacs, and Tom & Jerry whenever they were on. My favorites were the Road Runner episodes, never got tired of them.

The only other memorable thing I can think of, my 3rd grade class, myself included, got to hold the ribbon during the grand opening ceremony of a McDonalds in my hometown. I still have the shirt from that event, but it's several sizes too small to wear anymore.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

MasterChef
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MasterChef » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:00 am

Peahats wrote:
MasterChef wrote:My Dad was in the Air Force while i was growing up. So I got to spend 12 years overseas. 4 years in Japan and then 8 years in Germany.
Air Force kid here too! Except I only spent three years in Germany and never went to Japan. Unfortunately, I was three years old when i was in Europe, so I don't remember much. My dad left the Air Force and joined the airline, we lived in New Hampshire for a while before moving to Virginia, and I've stayed their ever since.
It's a shame you live near that other Virginia college though...