jim beam
TVR Leadership
TVR Leadership

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Head phone question

Post by jim beam » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:52 pm

So its christmas shopping time again. My nephew is big into music plays a bunch of instruments(bass, guitar and drums). He lives with me 2-4 days a week and I dont want to hear the noise as much. We got him an electric drum set last year and I can deal with the tapping noise but not when he has it plugged into the amp. I am looking for a good pair of head phones to get him because he has broken like 5 pairs of mine from over the ear to the in the ear type.

I dont know music stuff much and am looking for something that is durable and has good quality sound for him. I am looking upto the $250 mark for this. I have already been told the Dr Dray ones suck so any suggestions would be great from you kids who know this stuff.

All help is appreciated!
Founder and Overlord of the IBG nation

bluntspoon
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Head phone question

Post by bluntspoon » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:03 pm

I would buy two headphones. One cheap piece of crap and one really nice one. Let him listen to them both. He only gets the nice ones in three months if he doesn't break the cheap ones. He clearly has a problem taking care of these things, perhaps this would help.

http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-Crossfade- ... 395&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Headph ... 468&sr=1-2

Both of these would bring a smile to almost anyone's face.

InBOUND HD
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by InBOUND HD » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:04 pm

best one in my opinion is the audio technical m50, yet it seems that you can only find this either on the internet or in a guitar store. It isn't cheap, since it costs like 165 dollars.

I have a sony mdr v55 and in my opinion its worth the price (90-80). It's fairly cheap for an over-the-ear headphone and delivers the quality your paying for. Don't expect it to be the best, yet I think for now its the best headphones ive bought in a while because of its quality and price. There are so many more out there, like bose and dr dre, that are overpriced for the same quality ive mentioned. So be weary and choose what you think your nephew will like!

OldMan
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by OldMan » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:37 pm

I would stay away from the Dr. Dre headphones, I've listened to a fair amount of headphones in my many years, these are overpriced for the sound and build quality. Bluntspoon has a great idea. He needs to take care of his equipment before he gets the good stuff. A pair of headphones should last YEARS.

I would recommend the Sennheiser line as Bluntspoon did. Excellent sound quality from pretty much the whole line. They have phones in the sub $100 range up to some that are more than the last car I bought. For reference, I bought a used car for a friend for around $1200.

http://en-us.sennheiser.com/holidaysavi ... ital_river

Daryldime
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Daryldime » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:28 am

Lol the Dr. Dre headphones are regular headphones without the bass boost option. It's just always on lol
Warpath Cup 2011 Spy for Hades Babies - 2nd Place
Warpath Cup 2012 Spy for Inner Children Unleashed - Champions

eumoria
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun
Blizzard tag: eumoria#1944

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by eumoria » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:23 am

I'm a studio musician and a live sound engineer and I'm sure, with most certain agreement, that you cannot go wrong with Sennheiser. Make sure you get their real German designed line and not the recent 2005+ chinese designed knock offs.

A set of HD 558 will blow your mind and not your wallet.

A local music chain should have ones to try out and see for yourself... if you're inside that budget Sennheiser is the way to go 100%

EDIT!: A proper headphone amp also adds to the experience quite a bit the input level those are looking for is not what a pocket amp will give you but if he has a decent practice amp with a heaphone out that will do the trick and then some. His electronic drumset's heaphone out will be, also, the correct level to produce excellent quality.