Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Signing up for Steam Hardware Beta, without a gamepad

Post by Boss Llama » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:07 pm

Hey there.

Did you notice that new "Steam Hardware Beta Candidate" badge? Did you notice that in order to sign up, you are required to launch a game in big picture, using a gamepad?

As I've said recently, I scorn gamepads/controllers, and have no interest in using them. I certainly don't own one. That doesn't mean I don't want to sign up for the tiny chance of being a hardware beta-tester though! By way of telling Valve to suck an egg, and in order to sign up without wasting money on a paperweight, here's what ya do:

1. Download and install VJOY virtual joystick driver - this will emulate a gamepad: (http://headsoft.com.au/download/pc/VJoySetup.exe)
2. Launch the program - nothing will appear, but it will load in your system tray
3. Right click it in your system tray, and select "Open"
4. On the settings screen that opens, select any key (for example, "Right Shift") as "button 2"
5. In the upper left of that same screen, check the "enabled" box (You might also have to check "block keys")
6. Open big picture with your mouse, and navigate to a game you have installed (TF2 works). Put your mouse above the "play / launch game" button. Do not click the mouse.
7. Now press the button you've bound to "button 2" and that will launch the game and fulfill the requirement

Note: If it doesn't work, go to windows control panel, USB game controllers, settings, and select to use VJoy. There are 2 VJoy's you can select; if one doesn't work, try the other.

That done, you can uninstall VJoy and go on your merry way.
-Boss Llama

black_and_blue
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Signing up for Steam Hardware Beta, without a gamepad

Post by black_and_blue » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:20 pm

lol sounds like fun.

I hate big picture.
:D

Jesus_Faction
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Jesus_Faction » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:36 pm

Don't be a hater. Gamepads are the way to go for some games

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Minecraft name: FlashTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flash » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:40 pm

I spent about an hour trying that based on those instructions form the Steam forums with no success:
http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/f ... 9943137000

He doesn't have anything about the Control Panel switch so I wonder if that would have fixed it.

Eventually I just used a Wii remote and got it done in about 5 minutes! :doh:

chaffe[seagreens]
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by chaffe[seagreens] » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:50 pm

ali, thanks for the help. did your walkthru. how do i know if i completed it correctly. where do i find the 'badge'?

Peahats
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Peahats » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:05 am

chaffe[seagreens] wrote:ali, thanks for the help. did your walkthru. how do i know if i completed it correctly. where do i find the 'badge'?
You should be able to find it under "Your steam name" -> "badges" The icon looks like a CD with the steam logo in it.

I've also found that you don't have to get the gamepad to work, you just have to have it plugged in when you play a game in big picture.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:25 am

chaffe[seagreens] wrote:ali, thanks for the help. did your walkthru. how do i know if i completed it correctly. where do i find the 'badge'?
You have - I checked your profile :-D

To check specifically, open your profile in the Steam interface, mouse over your name at the top, and select "Badges" from the menu that pops up. That will list all badges you can potentially get, and the requirements needed for each. Badges you have are listed at the bottom, with completion info.
-Boss Llama

NerevarineKing
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by NerevarineKing » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:02 am

Thanks, it worked perfectly! If I had bluetooth support on my computer I would have just used a wiimote.
Warpath Cup '12- [ICU] Inner Children Unleashed (Champions!)
Villympics '12- [USAHB] USA Handbrake
The Ville Cup '12- [SOLTAN] Solis Tanquam
Warpath Loves Dustbowl '13- \SOBAD/
The Ville Cup '14- GCI| Guild of Calamitous Intent

Stevo
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun
Minecraft name: StevoTVR
Uplay name: StevoTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Stevo » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:55 am

Isn't this explaining how to cheat your way into the hardware beta? I think it's clear that Valve are looking for candidates with a working gamepad.

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Minecraft name: FlashTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flash » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:05 am

Stevo wrote:Isn't this explaining how to cheat your way into the hardware beta? I think it's clear that Valve are looking for candidates with a working gamepad.
Yes that is accurate, but I assume most are just doing it to get the Steam Badge and associated XP. That was my motivation.

But since Valve can track how long you've played using a controller they'll probably focus on those with more than 2 minutes of controller gaming. :wink:

There is also speculation that they'll also be announcing a controller to go alone with the Steam Machine, which would probably be included in the beta. All that said, they are going to give away 300 units and in the first 24 hours of the month long sign-up period there are already over 100K candidates.

lyn
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by lyn » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:54 pm

Thank you! Worked great

MrBlah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MrBlah » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:36 pm

I actually like Big Picture mode. Albeit, it's benefit is very much so for the use of a large television in a living room. What would make it work best is if it simply works with both PS3 and XBOX360 controllers.

Another thing here, is that the whole point of this product is that it is supposed to be used with a controller. So, circumventing the method of playing a game with a controller doesn't really help them or us at all, unless you are actually going to buy a controller for this.
Eater of Potatoes, since 2008.

I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:51 pm

Stevo wrote:Isn't this explaining how to cheat your way into the hardware beta? I think it's clear that Valve are looking for candidates with a working gamepad.
If they'd actually said anywhere that a requirement of beta participation is that you be an active controller-using player, then yeah, perhaps. It isn't a requirement though, just an achievement. You fill out the application and submit your info, and then you have to go earn some achievements. One includes using a controller in Big Picture. Other required achievements include things like having 10 friends on your friends list, and having a public community profile. In the past they've had achievements like linking your account to a Facebook profile, using your real name, and connecting via mobile. It's all just marketing stuff. They regularly reward/validate people who bypass the obvious intentions of what they present - they have no reason to do otherwise here.

In the unlikely event that I were selected for one of the tests, *and* they required players to test using a controller, I'd buy one and do as they asked. I think they would be foolish to hamstring their tests by only testing usage of their new OS with one input type though, which many potential end users won't use. I feel fully qualified to test honestly and extensively, and provide valid feedback - this is nothing but a hurdle to jump on the way. They've already announced publicly that beta testers will be allowed to change the hardware and put on a different OS if they want. Input device is just another thing that can be changed.
MrBlah wrote:Another thing here, is that the whole point of this product is that it is supposed to be used with a controller. So, circumventing the method of playing a game with a controller doesn't really help them or us at all, unless you are actually going to buy a controller for this.
I disagree that the whole point is to be used with a controller. The whole point is to compete with things that require controllers - namely consoles. While it is a valid assumption that controller compatibility will help pull console players who are intimidated by or uncomfortable with a keyboard and mouse, the product itself is meant for playing computer games on a different screen than usual. Computer games frequently require computer inputs - many games are not playable with controller, or have limited functionality. The Steam Box is not going to be controller limited, and would offer just as inferior an experience using a controller in many games as plugging that controller straight in to your PC would. Why? Because it's the same experience, just streamed from your monitor to your TV.
-Boss Llama

Perfect Villain
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Perfect Villain » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:25 pm

doesn't work for me either and i dont see it in my control panel anywhere either
Thanks Sparky

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:45 pm

overyourlimit wrote:doesn't work for me either and i dont see it in my control panel anywhere either
Where in the process is it not working?

Double check that the "enabled" box is checked on the settings screen, and that the key you set it to is what you're clicking - "button 2" should act pretty much like a mouse click.
-Boss Llama