Perfect Villain
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Signing up for Steam Hardware Beta, without a gamepad

Post by Perfect Villain » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:49 pm

Yep i did it 3 different times and it didn't work.... rather when i press it even though its set on button 2 pressing it does nothing
Thanks Sparky

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:14 pm

Hmm. Did you do a system restart to allow the driver to fully install? Assuming you're on Windows, that it is often a necessary step.
-Boss Llama

Perfect Villain
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Perfect Villain » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:01 pm

actually i didnt but ill try that later
Thanks Sparky

ShiftyDevil
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by ShiftyDevil » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:36 pm

Alizée Fan wrote:Hey there.

Did you notice that new "Steam Hardware Beta Candidate" badge? Did you notice that in order to sign up, you are required to launch a game in big picture, using a gamepad?

As I've said recently, I scorn gamepads/controllers, and have no interest in using them. I certainly don't own one. That doesn't mean I don't want to sign up for the tiny chance of being a hardware beta-tester though! By way of telling Valve to suck an egg, and in order to sign up without wasting money on a paperweight, here's what ya do:

1. Download and install VJOY virtual joystick driver - this will emulate a gamepad: (http://headsoft.com.au/download/pc/VJoySetup.exe)
2. Launch the program - nothing will appear, but it will load in your system tray
3. Right click it in your system tray, and select "Open"
4. On the settings screen that opens, select any key (for example, "Right Shift") as "button 2"
5. In the upper left of that same screen, check the "enabled" box (You might also have to check "block keys")
6. Open big picture with your mouse, and navigate to a game you have installed (TF2 works). Put your mouse above the "play / launch game" button. Do not click the mouse.
7. Now press the button you've bound to "button 2" and that will launch the game and fulfill the requirement

Note: If it doesn't work, go to windows control panel, USB game controllers, settings, and select to use VJoy. There are 2 VJoy's you can select; if one doesn't work, try the other.

That done, you can uninstall VJoy and go on your merry way.
As some one that does Dev work from time to time, you are terrible.

ketchuo
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by ketchuo » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:07 pm

ShiftyDevil wrote:
Alizée Fan wrote:Hey there.

Did you notice that new "Steam Hardware Beta Candidate" badge? Did you notice that in order to sign up, you are required to launch a game in big picture, using a gamepad?

As I've said recently, I scorn gamepads/controllers, and have no interest in using them. I certainly don't own one. That doesn't mean I don't want to sign up for the tiny chance of being a hardware beta-tester though! By way of telling Valve to suck an egg, and in order to sign up without wasting money on a paperweight, here's what ya do:

1. Download and install VJOY virtual joystick driver - this will emulate a gamepad: (http://headsoft.com.au/download/pc/VJoySetup.exe)
2. Launch the program - nothing will appear, but it will load in your system tray
3. Right click it in your system tray, and select "Open"
4. On the settings screen that opens, select any key (for example, "Right Shift") as "button 2"
5. In the upper left of that same screen, check the "enabled" box (You might also have to check "block keys")
6. Open big picture with your mouse, and navigate to a game you have installed (TF2 works). Put your mouse above the "play / launch game" button. Do not click the mouse.
7. Now press the button you've bound to "button 2" and that will launch the game and fulfill the requirement

Note: If it doesn't work, go to windows control panel, USB game controllers, settings, and select to use VJoy. There are 2 VJoy's you can select; if one doesn't work, try the other.

That done, you can uninstall VJoy and go on your merry way.
As some one that does Dev work from time to time, you are terrible.
I'm with shifty on this one, you people make me sick.

Soltan
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Soltan » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:49 pm

I have an old logitech rumble pad that worked just fine. had to dig it out of storage.

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:08 pm

>wanting to try to get into a beta test involving a controller based console

>don't own a gamepad because you hate them so you spoof one to get eligable.

I am the 1%!

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:28 pm

Masakari wrote:>wanting to try to get into a beta test involving a controller based console

>don't own a gamepad because you hate them so you spoof one to get eligable.

You have put into words and pictures the very thought that I have spent the last few hours struggling to put into words and/or pictures.

I've never had much use for Big Picture myself, but I do think it's a cool idea. My one concern regarding the Steam Box is that this is another console entering the already crowded market, which I think needs thinning as it is. With the Wii, Wii U, 3DS, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, the dozens upon dozens of hardware options for running any of those last five, Ouya, and now the Steam Box, which itself is stated to have multiple variations, the choices are a tad overwhelming. The same thing (too many platforms to choose from) happened in 1983, and that was one of the major reasons why the American video game market crashed back then. Could it happen again?

Perfect Villain
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Perfect Villain » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:31 am

Yep even after restart still does not work i actually ordered a controller earlier yesterday due to the fact a few of my games are based off controllers so i guess its not a big deal
Thanks Sparky

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:33 am

While I know some of you get off on insulting people so you can feel morally superior, I suggest you acquaint yourself with Valve's public statements, rather than making assumptions.

Public statements (courtesy of BBC and Endgadget):

-Valve said that members of the public picked would receive a "high-performance prototype" designed for users who wanted "the most control possible" over their hardware.

-It added that those taking part would receive the boxes this year and could make changes to the hardware and software, including the installation of another operating system.

-In terms of using a mouse-and-keyboard setup in your living room, Valve says that's an option, but "we have some more to say very soon on the topic of input."

As far as that "more to say" - all that's been said so far:

-The company's founder, Gabe Newell, told the BBC in March that it was working on a way to use sensors to measure a gamer's body states.

Valve is looking for people who will test the thing like real end-users will - not yes-men who will hold out their arms like zombies and do only the most obvious thing.
-Boss Llama

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:14 am

And yet, you're intentionally bypassing an eligibility requirement to try and gain access.

Way to take the moral high ground on this one.
I am the 1%!

Stevo
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun
Minecraft name: StevoTVR
Uplay name: StevoTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Stevo » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:04 am

THE HARDWARE BETA ELIGIBILITY QUEST:
Before October 25, log in to Steam and then visit your quest page to track your current status towards beta test eligibility
1. Join the Steam Universe community group
2. Agree to the Steam Hardware Beta Terms and Conditions
3. Make 10 Steam friends (if you haven't already)
4. Create a public Steam Community profile (if you haven't already)
5. Play a game using a gamepad in Big Picture mode

You can complete the steps in any order. Once you’ve completed all of the steps, you’ll be awarded a special badge, and you’ll officially be among the pool of people from whom we’ll choose beta participants / hardware recipients.
I don't see how much clearer that can be. It's a rule that is being broken by following these instructions.

Checkm8
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Checkm8 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:45 am

You all are grumpy! Let the folks try to get their free steam box! We have all done something beneath the moral standards before. Whether it was first with napster or now torrenting... I don't see the harm in someone struggling to get the opportunity to be a beta tester for what could potentially be a fantastic product. If you disagree with what they are doing here, ignore the thread. I understand we all have strong feelings on some matters but there is no need to bicker over something such as policy for rewards.

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:21 pm

I didn't want to do it. You all made me do it.

Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

NerevarineKing
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by NerevarineKing » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:24 pm

Warpath Cup '12- [ICU] Inner Children Unleashed (Champions!)
Villympics '12- [USAHB] USA Handbrake
The Ville Cup '12- [SOLTAN] Solis Tanquam
Warpath Loves Dustbowl '13- \SOBAD/
The Ville Cup '14- GCI| Guild of Calamitous Intent