Pine
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Your Almost Death Experience

Post by Pine » Tue May 14, 2013 11:27 am

One time a car almost drove into me head-on while it was going the wrong way on the freeway. Scary stuff.

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Tue May 14, 2013 11:44 am

crimsonshootingstar wrote:
Cpt._Keyes wrote:
crimsonshootingstar wrote:While i have been under mortar attack what really made my life flash before my eyes was friendly outgoing. Walking down the street minding my own business then BOOOOM! The loudest sound i have ever heard in my life. I hadn't even realized the battery was on the other side of the fence. trust me by the time I crawled back out of the drainage ditch and dusted myself off I was glad I wasn't on the receiving end of that one.
Paladin?

I have been on the Giving end of m119's those things are quite loud(I happend to be at FT. A.P. Hill when they were doing range work) ...luckly the only recieving I have been on, they werent aimed at us...that was another FARC encounter...and we just happened to fly into the crossfire...shells on their ballistic arc dont care that you arent involved in that engagement
I never actually saw the artillery piece in question but seeing as this was Afghanistan it was likely a smaller weapon like a towed gun. We didn't have any armor on our post at all unless you count the MRAPs.
all this time...i coulda sworn you were with an armor unit...i must be losing my mind...
CG6505 CPT Nelson LCDR Wischmeier AST1 Skimin AMT2 Nichols-4SEP08
CG1705 LCDR Barnes LT Bryant AMTC Seidman AET2 Grigonis AET2 Beacham AMT2 Moletzsky AMT3 Kreder-29OCT09
CG6017 LT Krueger AMT1 Hoke AMT2 Banks-07JUL10
CG6535 LCDR Taylor LTjg Cameron ASTC Jorge AET3 Knight-29FEB12
WPB87340-2 BMC Terrell Horne-2Dec12
WMSL751 BM3 Obendorf-18DEC13

crimsonshootingstar
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by crimsonshootingstar » Tue May 14, 2013 12:46 pm

Cpt._Keyes wrote:
all this time...i coulda sworn you were with an armor unit...i must be losing my mind...
An armored unit :lol: Where the heck did you get that Keyes?
I was in two maintenance companys and in Afghanistan I was with an Alabama national guard engineer unit. My MOS was 62B heavy construction equipment repair.

"A shooting star doesn't have a past. It burns like a flame and then is gone before your eyes. That's my kind of life."

Fingolfin
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Fingolfin » Wed May 15, 2013 5:47 am

Rip current. "Swim along the shore!" Hard to remember that when you're in that situation.
"...and all that beheld his onset fled in amaze, thinking that Oromë himself was come: for a great madness of rage was upon him, so that his eyes shone like the eyes of the Valar. Thus he came alone to Angband's gates, and challenged Morgoth to come forth to single combat. And Morgoth came."

MrBlah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MrBlah » Thu May 16, 2013 1:20 pm

Uhm, so, I was riding along in the passenger seat. It was dark, late at night. And all of the sudden. A wild horse. I wonder to myself, "A horse. Hey look! A horse?" Then, BAM! We hit the horse and it's head destroys the windsheild right in front of me. It's neck breaks around the A-pillar of the Toyota Prius I am in, and the horse dies, the A-pillar is unaffected and undented. It's butt hits the side of the car and we come to a stop shortly after. We find out that there is now horse poop in between the door handle and the bodywork of the car. Still have no idea how that happened.

After the state patrol came, we find out it was a young horse, no more than 500lbs, and if it were full grown, it probably would have killed me.
Eater of Potatoes, since 2008.

I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Fri May 17, 2013 5:40 am

Fingolfin wrote:Rip current. "Swim along the shore!" Hard to remember that when you're in that situation.
and I can vouch from 1600 hours of experience...the chances of you being found as a Person in the Water after being swept out to sea... minuscule, 1600 flight hours and years of duty officer experience and I can think of maybe 1 or 2 successful PIW searches
CG6505 CPT Nelson LCDR Wischmeier AST1 Skimin AMT2 Nichols-4SEP08
CG1705 LCDR Barnes LT Bryant AMTC Seidman AET2 Grigonis AET2 Beacham AMT2 Moletzsky AMT3 Kreder-29OCT09
CG6017 LT Krueger AMT1 Hoke AMT2 Banks-07JUL10
CG6535 LCDR Taylor LTjg Cameron ASTC Jorge AET3 Knight-29FEB12
WPB87340-2 BMC Terrell Horne-2Dec12
WMSL751 BM3 Obendorf-18DEC13

small502
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Post by small502 » Tue May 21, 2013 11:14 pm

Cpt._Keyes wrote:Another is we were in San Salvador enjoying the fare provided by a pretty nice taco stand
Oh man, i read this as Sao Salvador and almost freaked. :D I was down there a few years ago and saw a dude get backstabbed in Pelourinho, no one that was with me that day believes me though :? then there were moments of sporadic small arms fire down the main drag. It's.. ahh, gotten worse since we left.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/gavon/41-sad-ha ... -in-brazil
Other than that two fairly quick bouts with melanoma.

Crusty Juggler
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Crusty Juggler » Wed May 22, 2013 12:06 am

I had a pretty wild childhood, but never came close to getting killed.

However this thread has reminded me that several Villuns serve or have served in uniform. I'm not here to tell you thanks for your service, I'm telling you thanks for making the decision to serve.
  • The Ville Cup 2012 Champions - [SNES] Superflous Nipples Equals Success - Captain
    Dustbowl<3Warpath Champions- Team CDi- Captain

Knowing
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Knowing » Wed May 22, 2013 12:19 am

They are strong people to do that.
The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
- Salvador Dali (1904-1989)