ShiftyDevil
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Your Almost Death Experience

Post by ShiftyDevil » Sun May 12, 2013 8:50 pm

I electrocuted the bejesus out of myself once

That was exciting, thought my elbow was going to explode.

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Mon May 13, 2013 5:07 pm

Cpt._Keyes wrote:wrecked doing 110, rolled it 5 times...but i crawled out dusted off and did a tadaa to the traffic I just shot through. Had a gearbox..."catastrophically fail" on one of my engines while flying, had a generator "catastrophically fail" on one of my engines while flying, had a a prop hub "catastrophically fail" on one of my engines while flying, had a bird "catastrophically enter our wing" while flying
VIEW CONTENT:
ImageImageImage
during landing got picked up by a storm, twisted 45 degrees, dropped back down on the runway, blew out some tires, caught the nose gear, skidded 90 degrees the other direction, then 45 degrees back to front, broke the wing tanks which also started dumping fuel. Had the the auto pilot suddenly fail...in flight...which caused the plane to enter a dive...at 1k feet. Got vectored into a target, we come barreling in through the clouds...only to find out our tacon never told us about other assets on scene...we found out about them when we come out of the clouds and head on into an AWAC... I can continue on and on...and on.....and.....on...
I just seem to be the lucky one...otherwise I wouldn't be able to add the names below

one of my favorites though is we were doing a reverse cycle patrol, "somewhere" "around" the border between two countries in south america, next thing we know the jungle erupts around us as FARC starts shooting at someone/something...this was around 2007 time period... Another is we were in San Salvador enjoying the fare provided by a pretty nice taco stand, we then decided to enjoy the entertainment at a nearby establishment of late night entertainment, as we start leaving the tco stand, MS-13 decided they no longer liked the food there...and proceeded to explode it

This one is done on purpose but it was ridiculously dangerous, we were at a known launch point of one of our targets...and was at night, completely blacked out...the only issue is it was in a bay surrounded by cliffs...with no light...and it was a new moon...so we had to fly using only our radar (which we had to keep angled down so we could watch the shore line) giving us only about 30 seconds warning before we hit a cliff wall
CG6505 CPT Nelson LCDR Wischmeier AST1 Skimin AMT2 Nichols-4SEP08
CG1705 LCDR Barnes LT Bryant AMTC Seidman AET2 Grigonis AET2 Beacham AMT2 Moletzsky AMT3 Kreder-29OCT09
CG6017 LT Krueger AMT1 Hoke AMT2 Banks-07JUL10
CG6535 LCDR Taylor LTjg Cameron ASTC Jorge AET3 Knight-29FEB12
WPB87340-2 BMC Terrell Horne-2Dec12
WMSL751 BM3 Obendorf-18DEC13

YoullNeverWalkAlone
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by YoullNeverWalkAlone » Mon May 13, 2013 8:15 pm

I teach teenagers.
Thanks Sparky for the sig picture!

Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
And You'll Never Walk Alone,
You'll Never Walk Alone

The Truth--Justice--Remember the Hillsborough 96

jim beam
TVR Leadership
TVR Leadership

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by jim beam » Mon May 13, 2013 8:44 pm

You'llNeverWalkAlone wrote:I teach teenagers.
I do this in a shop setting every day is an adventure.
I would say the scariest one was when a kid was using a cutting torch and was stupid and left the hose under what he was cutting and dont you know the damn hose caught fire. Thank the lord for a blow back preventer cause I other wise a good portion of the school would not be around and a good portion of me would be all over the place. Needless to say that kid had book work the rest of the year and we didnt go in the shop for 6 weeks.
Founder and Overlord of the IBG nation

Larry
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Larry » Mon May 13, 2013 9:35 pm

I broke my pinkie finger warming up for a highschool wrestling match. Coach told me I "sprained" it even though I watched it jack-knife into itself. X ray the next day shows i broke the growth plate clean in half. Doc said my pinkie might never be the same size as the other one.

Not as cool as planes and fires, but Im a safe person and that's my worst injury yet.
Thanks to Seagreens for the spiffy banner!
VIEW CONTENT:
RIP Mr. Laptop 5/21/13
USAHB-Team Hand Brake 2012 Villy-Stuff
#HL3 TVC '13
FAIL Warpath Cup 2012-Proud to FAIL
Heck's Kitchen 2011

Inner
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Inner » Mon May 13, 2013 9:58 pm

My girlfriend and I were in a car wreck outside of Disney in Orlando, in the rain. We're in the left lane, guy in a pickup in the middle lane almost behind us. He decides he wants to be in the left lane...right now! So he veers left and slams into our rear passenger side. That hit sent us into the wet grass median, spinning with zero traction. Yep, we kept going right into the oncoming 3 lanes of traffic. Fortunately my gf had already hit her head and was out cold, I got to watch the headlights coming right at us as we were hit multiple times. One of those guys hitting us did die. (I wish he'd been wearing his seatbelt--ALWAYS wear your seatbelt.) We were pretty banged up and spent some time in the hospital. After surviveing that, we got married...and still are today, decades later.

On another note. A long time ago when I was in Uncle Sam's Canoe Club, we were at sea minding our own business. Cleaning is a popular pastime (lol) ... in fact instead of Strategic Deterent Patrols, we'd call them Strategic Detergent Patrols. Anyway, some young mess cook was cleaning behind the microwave with a wet cloth. Don't ask me why but he decided he wanted to open and clean the electrical panel behind it which he really couldn't see well. Bad, bad choice. The wet rag passing over live 440 volt contacts made for an excellent conductor of electricty. He did not die, but he may have wished he did. His fingers looked like black, burnt hotdogs at a picnic. Split open and nasty. He got a special helicopter ride to a land-based hospital.

That is all.

LadeeeDuke
USV Leadership
USV Leadership

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by LadeeeDuke » Mon May 13, 2013 10:17 pm

Which time? I think it would be easier for me to tell you about the time I had absolutely nothing go on and I didn't almost die. My life has been one near death situation after another until about 5 years ago or so. I think the latest experience was having a teenager who just got his license run a stop sign and plow into my Isuzu Trooper and sending me flipping like crazy. Oddly, I was pretty calm until I stopped. Being the roller coaster junkie I am, I don't know that it phased me till I sat there still upside down trying to reassure a pack of teenagers and passerbys that I was, indeed, alive and okay.

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Mon May 13, 2013 10:28 pm

I"m currently studying in Australia

Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dog » Mon May 13, 2013 10:41 pm

I got hit by a marshmallow, once.
It was pretty scary. Spent four weeks recovering with a beer in the back yard.

crimsonshootingstar
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by crimsonshootingstar » Tue May 14, 2013 12:34 am

While i have been under mortar attack what really made my life flash before my eyes was friendly outgoing. Walking down the street minding my own business then BOOOOM! The loudest sound i have ever heard in my life. I hadn't even realized the battery was on the other side of the fence. trust me by the time I crawled back out of the drainage ditch and dusted myself off I was glad I wasn't on the receiving end of that one.

"A shooting star doesn't have a past. It burns like a flame and then is gone before your eyes. That's my kind of life."

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Tue May 14, 2013 1:06 am

crimsonshootingstar wrote:While i have been under mortar attack what really made my life flash before my eyes was friendly outgoing. Walking down the street minding my own business then BOOOOM! The loudest sound i have ever heard in my life. I hadn't even realized the battery was on the other side of the fence. trust me by the time I crawled back out of the drainage ditch and dusted myself off I was glad I wasn't on the receiving end of that one.
Paladin?

I have been on the Giving end of m119's those things are quite loud(I happend to be at FT. A.P. Hill when they were doing range work) ...luckly the only recieving I have been on, they werent aimed at us...that was another FARC encounter...and we just happened to fly into the crossfire...shells on their ballistic arc dont care that you arent involved in that engagement
CG6505 CPT Nelson LCDR Wischmeier AST1 Skimin AMT2 Nichols-4SEP08
CG1705 LCDR Barnes LT Bryant AMTC Seidman AET2 Grigonis AET2 Beacham AMT2 Moletzsky AMT3 Kreder-29OCT09
CG6017 LT Krueger AMT1 Hoke AMT2 Banks-07JUL10
CG6535 LCDR Taylor LTjg Cameron ASTC Jorge AET3 Knight-29FEB12
WPB87340-2 BMC Terrell Horne-2Dec12
WMSL751 BM3 Obendorf-18DEC13

Archon
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Archon » Tue May 14, 2013 1:47 am

cancer, lymphoma. was somewhat unpleasant.
USER, n.: The word computer professionals use when they mean 'idiot.'

crimsonshootingstar
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by crimsonshootingstar » Tue May 14, 2013 8:49 am

Cpt._Keyes wrote:
crimsonshootingstar wrote:While i have been under mortar attack what really made my life flash before my eyes was friendly outgoing. Walking down the street minding my own business then BOOOOM! The loudest sound i have ever heard in my life. I hadn't even realized the battery was on the other side of the fence. trust me by the time I crawled back out of the drainage ditch and dusted myself off I was glad I wasn't on the receiving end of that one.
Paladin?

I have been on the Giving end of m119's those things are quite loud(I happend to be at FT. A.P. Hill when they were doing range work) ...luckly the only recieving I have been on, they werent aimed at us...that was another FARC encounter...and we just happened to fly into the crossfire...shells on their ballistic arc dont care that you arent involved in that engagement
I never actually saw the artillery piece in question but seeing as this was Afghanistan it was likely a smaller weapon like a towed gun. We didn't have any armor on our post at all unless you count the MRAPs.

"A shooting star doesn't have a past. It burns like a flame and then is gone before your eyes. That's my kind of life."

M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by M's » Tue May 14, 2013 10:48 am

Been there before, at Taji we had all types of incoming indirect and direct fire. And we a crap load of Arty everything from 20mm - 120mm Mortars. And every type of wheeled and self propelled arty.
Loved looking at the night sky as a 155 round went flying through the night.

Soltan
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Soltan » Tue May 14, 2013 10:52 am

Rear-ended by a dump truck (10-wheeler).

Snorkled with a fresh, bleeding leg wound in Hawaii (fortunately no sharks took an active interest).

Run over by a Jeep. I was launched in the air and knocked unconscious according to the police report (I have no memory of the impact). I escaped with relatively minor injuries.