If your post doesn't fit any other boards subject, then post it here
nancy
New Villun
New Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Re: SteamPipe Conversion

Post by nancy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:33 pm

Took about a half hour to get through the conversion window's process, and now it's stuck at 99% for missing files. Been this way for about ten minutes. I just want to play.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:37 pm

What's this conversion that people are talking about? I don't see anything going on with my client or games.
EDIT: Nevermind, it came up when I tried to launch TF2.
EDIT AGAIN: Took about 10 minutes to convert, having TF2 on an SSD may have helped. Missing about 5% of the game after it did that though.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

eumoria
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun
Blizzard tag: eumoria#1944

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by eumoria » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:08 pm

Mine updated but it broke my HUD. Then I tried to re-install the hud and then when I would open TF2 it would show the initial loading screen then crash back to desktop when it should have displayed the menu. (note: -novid -console are in launch options)

I use PVHUD
PVHUD: http://ozfortress.com/showthread.php?t=42719

The steampipe update changes the extracted game files from <email>\* to Steam\Common like for left4dead or 3rd party games.

When I initially opened TF2 it loaded fine but without the HUD mod (PVHUD changes the menu into the older text menu style like in initial release or TFC) I found it had moved the game files to this new location so I figured that was the problem.

I then re-installed the PVHUD files then tried to open TF2 that's when this crashing back to desktop thing started to happen. Awful part is that removing the files didn't fix the problem :eh:

Going through the steampipe reconfiguring again and maybe I'll just forget the hud for now. Anyone else having problems?

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Minecraft name: FlashTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Snooze

Post by Flash » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:32 pm

At least they fixed it now so that SteamPipe clients can play on non-SteamPipe servers. This should allow all the hosts more time to get things sorted out and result in less hassle for Dog and Stevo on the back end I'd assume.

The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by The Domer » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:52 pm

I was also having some CTD issues. I deleted my custom HUD (omphud) but that didn't seem to fix the problem. Eventually, I decided to verify the game cache, which seemed to work! I'm leery about reinstalling any HUDs at the moment regardless though, until they've been updated.

OldMan
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by OldMan » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:59 pm

I don't run any custom HUD or anything crazy, no scripts, no nuthin, the most vanilla TF2 configuration ever. During the SteamPipe conversion I got this error message.

"(buildbot_winslave4_steam_steam_rel_client_32@winslave04) is not responding"

The conversion has terminated. I have restarted Steam, second attempt had same results.

Quick look at the Steam support forums has turned up a big fat zero.

What ya think? Just delete the whole TF2 shebang and redownload?

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:07 pm

I had that issue. The solution was to keep terminating and restarting Steam until it worked. After the 12th or so try, it went through without any problems.

prang
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by prang » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:38 pm

For anyone having issues with their HUDs: you need to create a new folder in the Steam/steamapps/common/teamfortress/tf folder. Call it whatever you like. Copy or download your resource and scripts stuff into there. I'm still working on config stuff, I havnt got that all figured out but fixing your hud just requires having a new folder in there called HUD, customstuff, or whatever you like and dumping your files back into it.

Refuel
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Refuel » Wed May 01, 2013 12:24 am

When i tried to do the conversion it said i didn't have enough hard drive space so i cleared about 10 gig. then i tried the conversion again and it said i didn't have enough disk space but now my drive is 100% full. can't do nothing.

MateoTheBold!
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by MateoTheBold! » Wed May 01, 2013 8:50 am

Refuel wrote:When i tried to do the conversion it said i didn't have enough hard drive space so i cleared about 10 gig. then i tried the conversion again and it said i didn't have enough disk space but now my drive is 100% full. can't do nothing.

I had to clear 15g to do mine.

Warpath Cup- FU-2011, FAIL 2012
Villeympics- BB 2011, USAHB 2012
Ville Cup- HK 2011, SNES 2012, :TIME: 2013, CTB 2014

Refuel
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Refuel » Wed May 01, 2013 10:42 am

Originally before the attempt to do this tf2 converstion I had 5 gig left. 5 Gigs. Then i did the tf2 conversion. It ran for a time but came back and said I was out of hard drive space. The thing is though that it partially did the process and left me with i kid you not 3 megs of available space on my hard drive. Even after a painfully slow reboot it still showed 3 megs of space available. I uninstalled BL2 and freed up 6.5 gigs. My hard drive showed 6.5 gig free so I tried the tf2 conversion again. It tried and again said it couldnt complete because I was out of space. After this second attempt againit showed my hard drive space went from 6.5 gig free down to 10 megs. I moved about 2 gig of pictures onto an external archive drive and with this space the tf2 conversion was finally able to complete. Still though this confuses me in that before this all started I had 5 gigs on my system free for the last month or so. Then I convert tf2, remove borderlands2 (6.5 gigs of space freed up) and moved two gigs of pictures which is about 8.5 gigs removed from my main drive. Why then do i now have over 30 gigs available after this conversion? it is confusing the heck out of me. Did the conversion significantly shrink the amount of space tf2 uses?

MateoTheBold!
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by MateoTheBold! » Wed May 01, 2013 11:38 am

Refuel wrote:Originally before the attempt to do this tf2 converstion I had 5 gig left. 5 Gigs. Then i did the tf2 conversion. It ran for a time but came back and said I was out of hard drive space. The thing is though that it partially did the process and left me with i kid you not 3 megs of available space on my hard drive. Even after a painfully slow reboot it still showed 3 megs of space available. I uninstalled BL2 and freed up 6.5 gigs. My hard drive showed 6.5 gig free so I tried the tf2 conversion again. It tried and again said it couldnt complete because I was out of space. After this second attempt againit showed my hard drive space went from 6.5 gig free down to 10 megs. I moved about 2 gig of pictures onto an external archive drive and with this space the tf2 conversion was finally able to complete. Still though this confuses me in that before this all started I had 5 gigs on my system free for the last month or so. Then I convert tf2, remove borderlands2 (6.5 gigs of space freed up) and moved two gigs of pictures which is about 8.5 gigs removed from my main drive. Why then do i now have over 30 gigs available after this conversion? it is confusing the heck out of me. Did the conversion significantly shrink the amount of space tf2 uses?
The game essentially kept the original files to use in creating a new installation configured using steampipe. When done, it deletes the original files. I do wish valve did a better job of warning us. Using an old intel 120GB SSD, I was in the same boat us you refuel.

Warpath Cup- FU-2011, FAIL 2012
Villeympics- BB 2011, USAHB 2012
Ville Cup- HK 2011, SNES 2012, :TIME: 2013, CTB 2014

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Minecraft name: FlashTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Snooze

Post by Flash » Wed May 01, 2013 11:55 am

MateoTheBold! wrote:I do wish valve did a better job of warning us. Using an old intel 120GB SSD, I was in the same boat us you refuel.
I hate to say it, but the instructions did spell out that you would need double the space of your TF2 installation for the conversation to complete. 8)
You should expect your computer to do a lot of disk work, and you will need enough free hard drive space for about two full copies of the game. (For TF, around 15GB free is recommended.)
Glad you guys are up and running now!

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Wed May 01, 2013 11:56 am

They did warn everyone....
From the Support Article:
Q. Will I have to download the entire game again?

No. A one-time conversion process will occur, which will take a bit longer than the usual download. You should expect your computer to do a lot of disk work, and you will need enough free hard drive space for about two full copies of the game. (For TF, around 15GB free is recommended.)
With SteamPipe, the shared Source engine files are no longer shared between games. So if you have multiple Source engine games installed, the size of disk will increase by a few GB.
I'm just glad I can move TF2 off my SSD now that it's on SteamPipe.
I am the 1%!

ketchuo
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by ketchuo » Wed May 01, 2013 12:03 pm

I'm with masa on this one, seems people didn't read the fine print.