If your post doesn't fit any other boards subject, then post it here
M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

New scam trick.

Post by M's » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:45 pm

This happened while I was seeding tv6 today around 330 pm vst.
VERY IMPORTANT LINE BELOW

So please tell your parents and others who are not "tech" savy to be on the watch for that phone call, And please tell Them Do Not give any information to them at all.

Phone rings RINGGGGGGGGGG!
Me: Hello, hello, HELLO!
Bob from India: My name is ............ Bob I have no good news for you,
Knowing from the start this is a scam/telemarketer
Me: Whats wrong Bob?
Bob from India: I have level 1 support on other line say you call and have virus on computer.
Me: Hows that? I'm on my computer now and don't seem to be having any issues.
Bob from India: Yes sir, they is say you are not able to view screen.
Me: I don't know Bob, it seems to be working fine, I'm on it right now playing a game of TF2.
Bob from India: You need to go to http://www.******.id and D/L the virus remove tool.
Me: If your lvl 1 support said I can't view anything on my monitor, how can I go to that site?
Bob from India: Sir if you will give me your billing information and CC number we can remote the virus from her.
Me: Well Bob, here's how it is. (I lied to this guy just to see what he'd do) I write code, and I also write programs; therefore I know I do not have a virus or any other malicious items on my computer. So you can take your scam trick and shove it Bob.
Bob from India: click bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Me: Bob are you still there? Hello Bob. Oh well.

The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: New scam trick.

Post by The Domer » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:59 pm

That's the most transparent phishing attempt I've heard of... but good to point out nonetheless. Remember, in almost every situation, a legit company will never ask for your personal info (such as passwords, credit card numbers, etc.).

Also, on sites where you have to log in and give your info, make sure you look for the https to ensure it's a secured log-in.

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:14 pm

This is not new at all, I'm afraid. I work at a call center and get these every once in a while looking for the company I'm answering for and when I tell them I'm a separate company, guess what? The virus is on my computer now.
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

ketchuo
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by ketchuo » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:52 pm

I've gotten this at least two times but the second time happen after tf2 froze my computer

Cat Square
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cat Square » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:41 pm

Wow that's blatant.

I work at a computer shop and we get some hilarious emails, but I've never gotten a spam call from an actual human.

Crusty Juggler
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Crusty Juggler » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:58 pm

Ah yes. This started up a few years back, but has become much more popular recently.

These guys are the worst. They actually call up people, request (and sometime get) remote access in the guise of removing some virus. They just call out-of-the blue and say "I've detected a virus on your machine".

Usually they claim to be from Microsoft. I'm surprised Bob didn't say he was from MS. Anyway, they install some ridiculous rogue anti-virus software on your machine or some other nasties. The profit comes when they attempt to make you pay to remove the crap they just installed remotely.

What's sad is that these guys are calling people's moms and grandparents and so forth. People who are totally computer illiterate and would give a stranger remote access during a cold call. That ain't right!
  • The Ville Cup 2012 Champions - [SNES] Superflous Nipples Equals Success - Captain
    Dustbowl<3Warpath Champions- Team CDi- Captain

black_and_blue
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by black_and_blue » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:59 pm

There's actually a far more convincing one where they actually get you to bring up Windows Event Viewer and show you scary things in it to convince you that it's real. I actually got a call where someone tried to talk me into this, we didn't get as far as opening the program before I hung up.

Here's the story of someone who fell for it, at least as far as allowing the caller to remote desktop into his computer: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/prot ... d3900154c3

MateoTheBold!
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by MateoTheBold! » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:45 pm

<eVa>mlite wrote:This happened while I was seeding tv6 today around 330 pm vst.
VERY IMPORTANT LINE BELOW

So please tell your parents and others who are not "tech" savy to be on the watch for that phone call, And please tell Them Do Not give any information to them at all.

Phone rings RINGGGGGGGGGG!
Me: Hello, hello, HELLO!
Bob from India: My name is ............ Bob I have no good news for you,
Knowing from the start this is a scam/telemarketer
Me: Whats wrong Bob?
Bob from India: I have level 1 support on other line say you call and have virus on computer.
Me: Hows that? I'm on my computer now and don't seem to be having any issues.
Bob from India: Yes sir, they is say you are not able to view screen.
Me: I don't know Bob, it seems to be working fine, I'm on it right now playing a game of TF2.
Bob from India: You need to go to http://www.******.id and D/L the virus remove tool.
Me: If your lvl 1 support said I can't view anything on my monitor, how can I go to that site?
Bob from India: Sir if you will give me your billing information and CC number we can remote the virus from her.
Me: Well Bob, here's how it is. (I lied to this guy just to see what he'd do) I write code, and I also write programs; therefore I know I do not have a virus or any other malicious items on my computer. So you can take your scam trick and shove it Bob.
Bob from India: click bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Me: Bob are you still there? Hello Bob. Oh well.

So.....did you ever get the virus removed? :angel:

Warpath Cup- FU-2011, FAIL 2012
Villeympics- BB 2011, USAHB 2012
Ville Cup- HK 2011, SNES 2012, :TIME: 2013, CTB 2014

Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dog » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:52 pm

I kept one of them on the phone, a month ago, for half an hour.

I agree to do everything they say, but keep doing it incorrectly.
They ask me to click on the start button, I say "What does that look like?"
They ask me for my credit card, I give them a wrong number, apologizing that it's my wife's credit card and I'm not sure if it works.
I asked them to carefully say the URL because I have to write it down. The fact that it takes me 10 minutes to get the URL down is unfortunate.
Once the file is 'downloaded', then we spend 10 minutes looking for it.
He asks to control the machine, I happily agree but can't even do that correctly.

The guy I had last month ended up screaming at me down the phone.

I love Indian antivirus sellers. They keep me entertained.

El_Hefe
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by El_Hefe » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:56 pm

I'm still waiting to hear back from that Nigerian prince that needed my money.... in order to get his money...

kkpyro
USV Leadership
USV Leadership

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by kkpyro » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:16 pm

Dog wrote:I kept one of them on the phone, a month ago, for half an hour.

I agree to do everything they say, but keep doing it incorrectly.
They ask me to click on the start button, I say "What does that look like?"
They ask me for my credit card, I give them a wrong number, apologizing that it's my wife's credit card and I'm not sure if it works.
I asked them to carefully say the URL because I have to write it down. The fact that it takes me 10 minutes to get the URL down is unfortunate.
Once the file is 'downloaded', then we spend 10 minutes looking for it.
He asks to control the machine, I happily agree but can't even do that correctly.

The guy I had last month ended up screaming at me down the phone.

I love Indian antivirus sellers. They keep me entertained.
This is awesome

Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire
The Ville Cup 2012- [SOLTAN] Solis Tanquam
Dustbowl loves Warpath 2013-CDi
The Ville Cup 2013- [T^5] Tuber's Truly Terrifying Tater Tots
The Ville Cup 2014- <gTa> Goat Theft Anonymous

dredfox
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by dredfox » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:37 am

I've never had a call from these guys, but several of my elderly clients have. I have everything set up in case they ever do though.

I have a virtual machine image of Windows XP. I also have a program that initiates a connection to a listening VNC client. Basically it allows me to take remote control of a Windows computer after a double click of an icon (very handy for helping extremely clueless clients). I keep it on the desktop of the VM in a file named "credit cards.doc.exe"

Sadly they never call.