Sports Test

If your post doesn't fit any other boards subject, then post it here

Do you think NASCAR drivers are athletes?

Poll ended at Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:36 pm

Yes
37%
No
63%

Total votes: 38

NerevarineKing
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Sports Test

Post by NerevarineKing » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:38 pm

Pine wrote:I'm the same way about people who say marching music is not a sport. I think a lot of people don't realize the athleticism required to do the activity and was almost going to make a whole new topic about it after this thread was started.
I used to carry the bass drum in parades during middle school, which was very hard for me because I'm not very athletic. I can still remember the back pains...

(Speaking to this thread as a whole) I think arguing whether an activity fits under a certain category is pointless. But that's just my opinion.
Warpath Cup '12- [ICU] Inner Children Unleashed (Champions!)
Villympics '12- [USAHB] USA Handbrake
The Ville Cup '12- [SOLTAN] Solis Tanquam
Warpath Loves Dustbowl '13- \SOBAD/
The Ville Cup '14- GCI| Guild of Calamitous Intent

CoyoteCreed
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by CoyoteCreed » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:13 pm

Pine wrote:I'm the same way about people who say marching music is not a sport. I think a lot of people don't realize the athleticism required to do the activity and was almost going to make a whole new topic about it after this thread was started.
I think competitive marching music is in the same category as synchronized swimming, ice dancing and rhythmic gymnastics. It requires athleticism and artistry, with the athleticism dominating the preparation and the artistry dominating the performance, which has to be subjectively (albeit rigorously) judged. That category deserves the same respect given to the category containing soccer, basketball, and such, but I personally think they're distinct. Calling it a sport or not is just semantics. It's similar to the way I feel about chess and poker; I firmly believe those are competitions, but not sports, and that is also a stance of distinction, not disrespect.
Banner by some other Villun

Warpath Cup '12 | Inner Children Unleashed | Champions
Villympics '12 | ACME Villympic Team (Captain) | Champions
VC '12 | Solis Tanquam
D<3W '13 | SOBAD
VC '13 | Ville Cuppin' Cakes (Captain)
VC '14 | Carpetbaggers | Champions

eVa

ShiftyDevil
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by ShiftyDevil » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:51 am

MasterChef wrote:
NerevarineKing wrote: But, it takes a lot of skill to do left turns for 4 hours!

I know you are being sarcastic...but it really does take a lot of skill to do this stuff. I don't care if people think it's boring, but to say that it doesn't require skill is just ignorant. Everything happens so fast in NASCAR that it all comes down to tenths of a second. It's not just a matter of going fast and turning left. Tracks can have different groves in them that are faster, how you enter a turn come in to effect. Add the fast that other cars are around you as well. Drivers have to adapt to their tires wearing, weather/heat conditions, the handling of their car itself.

I get that people think it's boring, I think plenty of other sports are boring as well. But I can at least appreciate the skill and talent it takes to do them. Just because we all drive cars, does not mean that we would be good at racing.

No, I'm not being sarcastic.

I was being quite literal in my feelings toward NASCAR. As far as automotive racing Formula One and Rally are a orders of magnitude more interesting to watch. In person Drag Racing is also significantly more interesting, or probably more apt, visceral.

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:29 am

ShiftyDevil wrote:
MasterChef wrote:
NerevarineKing wrote: But, it takes a lot of skill to do left turns for 4 hours!

I know you are being sarcastic...but it really does take a lot of skill to do this stuff. I don't care if people think it's boring, but to say that it doesn't require skill is just ignorant. Everything happens so fast in NASCAR that it all comes down to tenths of a second. It's not just a matter of going fast and turning left. Tracks can have different groves in them that are faster, how you enter a turn come in to effect. Add the fast that other cars are around you as well. Drivers have to adapt to their tires wearing, weather/heat conditions, the handling of their car itself.

I get that people think it's boring, I think plenty of other sports are boring as well. But I can at least appreciate the skill and talent it takes to do them. Just because we all drive cars, does not mean that we would be good at racing.

I was being quite literal in my feelings toward NASCAR. As far as automotive racing Formula One and Rally are a orders of magnitude more interesting to watch. In person Drag Racing is also significantly more interesting, or probably more apt, visceral.
using my psychic powers...Vettel wins...there...no need to watch any more

though anyone who is voting no...is just purely ignorant...by any definition of the term...all race car drivers are athletes...this isnt an opinion...by any measurable way, they are athletes, and voting no is just pure ignorance...

this is on the same line as the "will a plane take off if on a conveyor" argument we had some years back...or even "we didnt land on the moon" conspiracies...you can have your opinions and pseudo-reasons...but the fact is this...the plane will take off, we landed on the moon and race car drivers are athletes
CG6505 CPT Nelson LCDR Wischmeier AST1 Skimin AMT2 Nichols-4SEP08
CG1705 LCDR Barnes LT Bryant AMTC Seidman AET2 Grigonis AET2 Beacham AMT2 Moletzsky AMT3 Kreder-29OCT09
CG6017 LT Krueger AMT1 Hoke AMT2 Banks-07JUL10
CG6535 LCDR Taylor LTjg Cameron ASTC Jorge AET3 Knight-29FEB12
WPB87340-2 BMC Terrell Horne-2Dec12
WMSL751 BM3 Obendorf-18DEC13

MasterChef
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MasterChef » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:01 am

ShiftyDevil wrote:

I wasn't really calling you out at that time. You said they were athletes which is all that matters.

I was never trying to convince anyone to think that it was interesting or that they had to watch it. Just that the skill involved in racing NASCAR is much greater than just turning left. You could think donkey racing is more exciting to watch, and that is your right to think so and I could care less if that's what you like. Where I get annoyed is when the credit for being a professional race driver, of any series really, is not given.

As far as opinions go, I enjoy watching the technology of Formula 1, but really, the racing leaves something to be desired for me. It seems any time I watch it there is one or two cars that can win, and that's about it. I wish NASCAR had more road races though, they usually put on some of the best shows during the year.

Rally racing is pretty awesome though, I wish I watched more of it. If there is anything that requires having guts and no fear it's that.

Fingolfin
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Fingolfin » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:39 am

I'm always surprised by the strong opinions this topic brings out. I don't think it's a sport, but I can't point to a dictionary and tell you how it doesn't fit the definition. I have a vague concept of what a "sport" is and NASCAR doesn't just doesn't strike me as a sport. *shrugs*
"...and all that beheld his onset fled in amaze, thinking that Oromë himself was come: for a great madness of rage was upon him, so that his eyes shone like the eyes of the Valar. Thus he came alone to Angband's gates, and challenged Morgoth to come forth to single combat. And Morgoth came."

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:13 am

Aye, the arguments of "sports" and "athletes" always tend to focus on one side considering it an insult if they aren't included, and the other side arguing a semantic definition. Nobody denies the physical efforts related to various activities that get questioned, but that's usually what they get treated like they're doing.

In my mind, not all people who put in physical effort are athletes, and not all competitions are games. That doesn't diminish either of them, it just defines them. Others disagree and think it's insulting for some reason to say otherwise. Ultimately it's meaningless.
-Boss Llama

ShiftyDevil
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by ShiftyDevil » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:46 am

MasterChef wrote:
ShiftyDevil wrote:

I wasn't really calling you out at that time. You said they were athletes which is all that matters.

I was never trying to convince anyone to think that it was interesting or that they had to watch it. Just that the skill involved in racing NASCAR is much greater than just turning left. You could think donkey racing is more exciting to watch, and that is your right to think so and I could care less if that's what you like. Where I get annoyed is when the credit for being a professional race driver, of any series really, is not given.

As far as opinions go, I enjoy watching the technology of Formula 1, but really, the racing leaves something to be desired for me. It seems any time I watch it there is one or two cars that can win, and that's about it. I wish NASCAR had more road races though, they usually put on some of the best shows during the year.

Rally racing is pretty awesome though, I wish I watched more of it. If there is anything that requires having guts and no fear it's that.
There's nothing wrong with people liking different stuff (drives me nuts when the internet disallows this). I just never got NASCAR.

YoullNeverWalkAlone
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by YoullNeverWalkAlone » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:50 am

I don't coach it, so it can't be a sport.

There, that should settle it.

I'm with Domer on this (as dirty as that makes me feel, at least its not Mateo I'm agreeing with). Wasn't there a Supreme Court Justice who said "I don't know how to define sport, but I know it when I see it."?

Come to think of it, it might not have been sport he was talking about.
Thanks Sparky for the sig picture!

Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
And You'll Never Walk Alone,
You'll Never Walk Alone

The Truth--Justice--Remember the Hillsborough 96

Bronze Fox
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Bronze Fox » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:17 pm

This topic kind of exploded more than I expected. I will have to ask a more tame question next time.

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:48 pm

I am not even a big fan of racing...so it isnt like I feel slighted or excluded...I just hate ignorance
CG1705 LCDR Barnes LT Bryant AMTC Seidman AET2 Grigonis AET2 Beacham AMT2 Moletzsky AMT3 Kreder-29OCT09

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:11 pm

/thread

BETTEH
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BETTEH » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:49 pm

2004 DOD Ville Cup Champs - Hobo Strike Squad
Fanciful Unicorn! 2011 Warpath Cup + Villympics Champs.

Gizanked
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Gizanked » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:44 pm

but can we land a NASCAR on a conveyer belt on the moon?
http://www.tf2items.com/id/evagizanked
the artist formerly known as Replica

Buzzy Beetle
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Buzzy Beetle » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:27 pm

I proudly support Independent Developers, Local Businesses, and SNAILGOSH.