BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

I need a new chair...

Post by BigBiker05 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:29 pm

So my old chair broke, and I bought a new one. $65, cheapest one at staples or whatever office store is by my house. The chair is a peice of crap. In under a month one of the arms is already breaking, the cushion is flat and hard as a rock, the headrest doesn't go high enough so it's only a headrest for a 4 foot tall person, and the seat isn't even wide enough to sit crosslegged (which I often do while gaming).

So here's your task villuns. Find a me a chair: office store or online. I don't care about the price, as long as I'm paying extra for the quality. If there are any deals or sales that's awesome. Black is preferred.

Thanks!

OldMan
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: I need a new chair...

Post by OldMan » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:42 pm

Might I offer a bit of an unusual suggestion? You might be interested in doing what I've done. I use a car seat. I've built myself a cockpit type of computer area. Where my car seat is mounted so that I may slide it back and forth and adjust it, just like it's in a car. It's very comfortable with all the adjustments it allows. It also makes for a lot of fun during racing games, and flight games. Simple construction skills is all you need and a bit of wood and finish. The result is much more comfortable than any office chair I've owned. I chose a cloth seat that I found on craigslist from a guy parting out a smashed up vehicle. The seat was brand new, and when I watch movies at my "desk", it reclines and lets me stretch out.

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:42 pm

My brother actually has a really nice chair in his garage he said I could have. However, I have a fairly tall desk and would need a decent job to get the height. I like having adjustable height chairs.

One_Medic_Army
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by One_Medic_Army » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:53 pm

Costco. I got one there half a year ago for less than $50 and it's still going strong.
ImageImage
VIEW CONTENT:

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:42 pm

A $65 Staples chair is sure to fail after a short amount of time. I typically go for the $100+ Staples chair (nothing too expensive, $100 is the usual range). Their life expectancy isn't great, but the last two i've bought have lasted two years each before having to be replaced, and that's only once I absolutely had to. The last one I had was replaced because the pneumatics failed and forced the chair to be used at it's lowest height (which I jury-rigged by melting a rope to the dang thing at it's max height to support it), not to mention one of the bolts holding up an arm rest literally rusted so much that it broke in half.

If you're going through Staples, try and look for mislabeled prices. They're hard to catch, but if a nice looking chair rings up for more than the price tag, you are only entitled to pay whatever the price tag says. Oddly enough, the last chair I bought (my current chair) rang up for $25 less than what I thought I was going to pay for it, so I wasn't complaining.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:51 pm

I'll check out costco, they sent out a coupon book a few days ago but I haven't made it all the way through yet.

My first chair was at an office store, I thought for about $60. I had it for about 6 or 7 years then the arm finally broke. What happens is the plastic arms hold the back to the seat. My new chair have the same problem except it started within a month.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:09 pm

BigBiker05 wrote:My new chair have the same problem except it started within a month.
They don't make 'em like they used to.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

Soltan
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Soltan » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:25 pm

I used to have an Aeron. Finally updgraded to the Embody last year. While not cheap it's the most comfortable chair I've ever had: http://www.officedesigns.com/product-ex ... body_Chair

M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by M's » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:03 pm

OldMan wrote:Might I offer a bit of an unusual suggestion? You might be interested in doing what I've done. I use a car seat. I've built myself a cockpit type of computer area. Where my car seat is mounted so that I may slide it back and forth and adjust it, just like it's in a car. It's very comfortable with all the adjustments it allows. It also makes for a lot of fun during racing games, and flight games. Simple construction skills is all you need and a bit of wood and finish. The result is much more comfortable than any office chair I've owned. I chose a cloth seat that I found on craigslist from a guy parting out a smashed up vehicle. The seat was brand new, and when I watch movies at my "desk", it reclines and lets me stretch out.
Oldman I would like a picture of your setup, chair and all.

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:36 pm

Soltan wrote:I used to have an Aeron. Finally updgraded to the Embody last year. While not cheap it's the most comfortable chair I've ever had: http://www.officedesigns.com/product-ex ... body_Chair
Is that supposed to be a thousand dollar chair?

somedude
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by somedude » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:55 am

I've had one of these for about 4 years. Since I primarily work on the computer and game I do a lot of sitting, so I did a lot of research. I liked the Herman Miller chairs primarily for the mesh, but did not care for the way they would lean back, so started looking at alternatives and came across these. I'm a big guy and the chair has held up extremely well. It still looks and feels new. The mesh is very durable and also breathes well as compared to leather or foam. I liked it so much I got 1 for the wife a month later and have never regretted either purchase.
My backpack holler if you see something you would like to trade for.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."

— Bertrand Russell (1872-1970)

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:47 am

Okay, some of these chairs are incredible but I had no idea chairs could cost that much. I'm gonna add ~$200 top price.

Flaming Cheese Wheel
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flaming Cheese Wheel » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:54 pm

Yeah, the good office stuff is not inexpensive. If I could make my kit work with OldMan's idea I would though.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:09 pm

Aye, I swear chairs are the most expensive piece of basic furniture out there. There was a not overly large conference room at my old workplace, had $25,000 worth of chairs in it.
-Boss Llama

ketchuo
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by ketchuo » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:06 pm

Yeah most good chairs can cost 100$ or higher, I think I got mines for 20-40 bucks