Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Steam Community Beta

Post by Masakari » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:46 am

So yeah, it's pretty much Facebook.

Was one of the lucky people to get an invite. Really like the layout, but still kind of have mixed feelings about it right now.
I am the 1%!

BETTEH
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Steam Community Beta

Post by BETTEH » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:01 pm

You've probably never heard of it.
2004 DOD Ville Cup Champs - Hobo Strike Squad
Fanciful Unicorn! 2011 Warpath Cup + Villympics Champs.

Araris
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Post by Araris » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:36 pm

If someone would like to use it please pm me. I have one free guest pass to it. Please only pm me if you're already on my friends list and actually USE the Steam Community to begin with.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:36 pm

I did receive a pair of invites (probably intended as one for me and one to share), but it sounded an awful lot like Facebook, so I didn't try one. Masa's confirmation that that is indeed what it's emulating pretty much guarantees I will not voluntarily install the new interface. Facebook can die in a fire, or better yet, a massive stock collapse based on the continually evolving recognition of the fact that they are an evil company that has no respect for its users, regularly violates the law, and doesn't actually have much of a product.

/deep breath

So anyway, I have two invites I'll give away as well, if people are in to that sort of thing.
-Boss Llama

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:51 pm

I'm interested, if anyone wants to send me an invite. I've always wondered how long it would be before Valve would try to push Steam into a social sphere. If they'd done it three years ago they probably could have sold the company for $50 billion and then quit already.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:16 pm

Plinko wrote:I'm interested, if anyone wants to send me an invite. I've always wondered how long it would be before Valve would try to push Steam into a social sphere. If they'd done it three years ago they probably could have sold the company for $50 billion and then quit already.
Sent.
-Boss Llama

Refuel
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Refuel » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:19 pm

I have never and will never utilize any social networking sites. Hearing the word "facebook" in my daily travels by various people makes me cringe. The current steam format is fine with me.

Checkm8
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Checkm8 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:20 pm

I am on the same page as refuel even though I created a facebook profile back in 2007 when I was a day walker. Still, I never use it.

Instead of poking, they should let you backstab friends.

ketchuo
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by ketchuo » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:22 pm

Refuel wrote:I have never and will never utilize any social networking sites. Hearing the word "facebook" in my daily travels by various people makes me cringe. The current steam format is fine with me.
I hate almost all social websites, I only use facebook to check if my family is doing something

Refuel
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Refuel » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:36 pm

Mrs Refuel loves her facebook, but the sheer amount of conversations she starts with "so i found this old friend on facebook" confounds me. I for one have no interest in having conversations with people i knew 15 years ago.

Roirdan
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Roirdan » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:47 pm

If you still have a key, Alizee, I'm interested in checking it out.
Awesome sig by F13ND!

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:50 pm

Alizée Fan wrote:I did receive a pair of invites (probably intended as one for me and one to share), but it sounded an awful lot like Facebook, so I didn't try one. Masa's confirmation that that is indeed what it's emulating pretty much guarantees I will not voluntarily install the new interface. Facebook can die in a fire, or better yet, a massive stock collapse based on the continually evolving recognition of the fact that they are an evil company that has no respect for its users, regularly violates the law, and doesn't actually have much of a product.
Refuel wrote:I have never and will never utilize any social networking sites. Hearing the word "facebook" in my daily travels by various people makes me cringe. The current steam format is fine with me.
ketchuo wrote:I hate almost all social websites, I only use facebook to check if my family is doing something

Through Facebook I've been reunited with people I knew back in my old elementary school which is now.....three hometowns back, a friend today went on Facebook after a couple of years and started talking to a couple of people she hadn't talked to in a couple of years. They probably have the best IM client around for multiple client message syncing and general usability, and the principle of social networks is actually highly beneficial and useful when used properly. Any argument against that is simply ignorance.

Also, having a layout similar to Facebook ≠ being Facebook. After using the new Community Beta, it's actually really nice to be able to view screenshots, view videos, and comment directly from inside of a single page/feed.
I am the 1%!

THE Flying chihuahua
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by THE Flying chihuahua » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:55 pm

Masakari wrote: Image

Through Facebook I've been reunited with people I knew back in my old elementary school which is now.....three hometowns back, a friend today went on Facebook after a couple of years and started talking to a couple of people she hadn't talked to in a couple of years. They probably have the best IM client around for multiple client message syncing and general usability, and the principle of social networks is actually highly beneficial and useful when used properly. Any argument against that is simply ignorance.

Also, having a layout similar to Facebook ≠ being Facebook. After using the new Community Beta, it's actually really nice to be able to view screenshots, view videos, and comment directly from inside of a single page/feed.
But then you get the complete idiots and the really bad but more addicting than pure cocain games. Honestly, the only good things to come out of Facebook are Failbook (where we can laugh at said stupids for being stupids) and This.
Imagepeahats made this because he is awesome.
Any semblance of wit is accidental, imagined, or medication related.
Minecraft ID is scatzilla99

Uber!
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Uber! » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:09 pm

I have an invite if anyone wants it.
Weep not for roads untraveled
Weep not for sights unseen
May your love never end
And if you need a friend
There's a seat here alongside me

darklin0
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by darklin0 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:21 pm

I have two if anyone wants one. I plan to stay away from this as much as possible.
Queen of the We Hate Mateo Club. Co-Captain: Zookie
[NOS] // <CDi>
[USAHB] // (GOD)
CCCP