If your post doesn't fit any other boards subject, then post it here
v.o.c
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

tis warm in there

Post by v.o.c » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:06 pm

Well i made a video to prove to mrs carrot why im knackered when i get home from work. She did'nt believe that 1 of the things i do on a daily basis involved malt that can take your skin off if your not careful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdIylYG0Tnc

warning there is a couple of language slips by my colleague who is filming, but nothing major.
Hey you Would'nt you like to be a vicious orange carrot too?

STEAM a Bi Product of tea.

BETTEH
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: tis warm in there

Post by BETTEH » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:23 pm

Looks like fun, I have to help out the hot end operators at the plant sometimes. Our melters run at 3000F, and I have to wear a reflective suit. You would swear I jumped in a swimming pool by the time I leave. I hate the heat and working down at that end, but at least I don't have to do it daily. I don't envy you man.
2004 DOD Ville Cup Champs - Hobo Strike Squad
Fanciful Unicorn! 2011 Warpath Cup + Villympics Champs.

v.o.c
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by v.o.c » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:09 pm

3000 Fahrenheit, wow a tad warm there. The Malt i shovel is around 156 Fahrenheit and cools very quickly once the surface is broken (hence all the steam). If i was to jump into the Tun from the steps side, it would burn me. yet once the malt as been chucked through the door into the skip you can pick it up without gloves. Its a case of it holds the steam which is hot, release the steam and the temp drops to around 80 Fahrenheit. We do have to soak the floor with cold water to crawl through the door though the metal is bloody hot. Also while digging if your feet get buried they get hot very quick, that is why we are always scraping it off the floor. But it is a damn good cure for a cold :)

crimsonshootingstar
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by crimsonshootingstar » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:59 pm

The closest I can come to that is working inside our baler compactor (about a 3'x3'x6' box) on a hot day or stepping outside the tent in Kuwait at mid day.

"A shooting star doesn't have a past. It burns like a flame and then is gone before your eyes. That's my kind of life."

ADevilishPotato
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by ADevilishPotato » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:12 pm

BETTEH wrote:Looks like fun, I have to help out the hot end operators at the plant sometimes. Our melters run at 3000F, and I have to wear a reflective suit. You would swear I jumped in a swimming pool by the time I leave. I hate the heat and working down at that end, but at least I don't have to do it daily. I don't envy you man.
Yeah that reminds me of when I'm in ceramics and firing the high temp gas kiln. It gets up to about 2900 and I have to wear protective gear around it...also glad I have to deal with it only twice a school quarter
WARPATH Cup '12- [WARPATH] We are running past all the heavies
The Ville Cup '12- (DYD) Dirty Dan's Double D's
Dust Bowl loves Warpath '13- (CD-i) Chokepoints and Demomen- international (Champions!)
The Ville Cup '13- [T^5] Tuber's Truly Terrifying Tator Tots
The Ville Cup '14- GCI_ Guild of Calamitous Intent

flyingdutchman
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by flyingdutchman » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:32 pm

All I can think of is all of the lovely beer that was made from all the scraped-up barley. What happens to all of the sparged barley anyway?

v.o.c
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by v.o.c » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:54 am

flyingdutchman wrote:All I can think of is all of the lovely beer that was made from all the scraped-up barley. What happens to all of the sparged barley anyway?
a farmer feeds his pigs onit.

Flaming Cheese Wheel
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flaming Cheese Wheel » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:07 pm

The room that my computer is in is warmer than I would like. Not so much for me, but for the computer.

Still doesn't compare to the college dorm where we had the windows open in February because our heating plant was destroying small planets in order to warm us.

booner
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by booner » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:50 pm

BETTEH wrote:Looks like fun, I have to help out the hot end operators at the plant sometimes. Our melters run at 3000F, and I have to wear a reflective suit. You would swear I jumped in a swimming pool by the time I leave. I hate the heat and working down at that end, but at least I don't have to do it daily. I don't envy you man.
WAT