Checkm8
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Scary

Post by Checkm8 » Fri May 25, 2012 9:21 am

I am sitting at work today and no one is really here due to the holiday weekend. It reminds me of a ghost town. Next, I thought man... ghosts are scary but so are hostile aliens. Which one scares you more?

Supreveio
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Minecraft name: Supreveio
Blizzard tag: Supreveio#1728

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: Scary

Post by Supreveio » Fri May 25, 2012 9:49 am

Ghosts, man. Hostile aliens always have some stupid weakness like water or earth bacteria, which makes them less of a threat.

And even if they don't have some dumb mundane weakness, you can still shoot them. You can't shoot ghosts.
"So what have you been up to, man? Haven't seen you in so long!"
"Ah, you know how it is. Doin' a lot of side projects, some consulting, maybe a little freelance... Those are words that people say when they haven't actually been doing anything, right?"

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Fri May 25, 2012 9:51 am

I'm going with the aliens. Supreveio's right about aliens probably having weaknesses, but aliens would also be able to shoot back. Ghosts wouldn't be able to do that.
-Boss Llama

Fraulein Arztin
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Fraulein Arztin » Fri May 25, 2012 10:04 am

Well, I've never been scared of ghosts really. Shows like Ghost Hunters have really dulled down my scared-ness towards them.

Aliens on the other hand, scare the living bejesus out of me. My dad would watch X-Files all the time when I was young, so I associated the theme song music with creepy aliens. I still get chills down my back whenever I hear that tune, because I trick myself thinking that aliens are coming. lol
Also, I'm a girl. Being scared of aliens doesn't need reasoning. They're just plain creepy.

M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by M's » Fri May 25, 2012 10:09 am

I'd take on an alien any day, as I can see and track their movements.
Can't do that with a ghost.

Tungsten
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Tungsten » Fri May 25, 2012 10:12 am

Alizée Fan wrote:I'm going with the aliens. Supreveio's right about aliens probably having weaknesses, but aliens would also be able to shoot back. Ghosts wouldn't be able to do that.
What if it's a Civil War ghost who swore revenge against the man who slept with his wife and killed his brother? But he didn't know what the other man looked like, so he wandered the world killing men with the gun his wife gave him before he left to fight in the war. He wandered until he died, trying to find this man who took so much from him, and continued his search in the afterlife...shooting people with his ghost pistol.

The twist is, the brother is the one who slept with his wife...and his wife killed the brother to cover it up.

THE Flying chihuahua
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by THE Flying chihuahua » Fri May 25, 2012 11:05 am

Ghosts, They can posses you. Look at the guy in my avatar for what happens when you get possessed.
Last edited by THE Flying chihuahua on Fri May 25, 2012 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Imagepeahats made this because he is awesome.
Any semblance of wit is accidental, imagined, or medication related.
Minecraft ID is scatzilla99

TTHREAZ
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TTHREAZ » Fri May 25, 2012 11:15 am

Fraulein Arztin wrote:I still get chills down my back whenever I hear that tune
Boo!
VIEW CONTENT:

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Fri May 25, 2012 11:36 am

Tungsten wrote:
Alizée Fan wrote:I'm going with the aliens. Supreveio's right about aliens probably having weaknesses, but aliens would also be able to shoot back. Ghosts wouldn't be able to do that.
What if it's a Civil War ghost who swore revenge against the man who slept with his wife and killed his brother? But he didn't know what the other man looked like, so he wandered the world killing men with the gun his wife gave him before he left to fight in the war. He wandered until he died, trying to find this man who took so much from him, and continued his search in the afterlife...shooting people with his ghost pistol.

The twist is, the brother is the one who slept with his wife...and his wife killed the brother to cover it up.
Ghost bullets aren't exactly scary. Bullets kill by transferral of physical forces, so an incorporeal one is as harmless as, well, anything else that's completely harmless.

To bring a bit of logic in to it (which I realize isn't the intent of this poll, but I'm gonna do it anyway), it is my considered opinion that ghosts and other such supernatural things do not exist. They tend to show up where there's profit to be made (television, books, interviews), or conditions are conducive to overactive imagaination or mis-remembering (isolation, fear, disorientation). Extra-terrestrial life on the other hand, even intelligent extra-terrestrial life, is almost 100% certain to exist. It takes what I would call a certain arrogance (or perhaps a desperate ego) to think Earth is the only planet out of billions to sustain life, and that as humans, we are the only life out there. Now then, I don't have any belief that Earth ever has been, or ever will be, visited by intelligent aliens, but I consider the infinitesimally tiny chance of that to still be more likely than that there are port-mortum spirits of some kind that can interact with or harm us. Ergo, I have no fear of ghosts, and a microscopic fear of potentially hostile aliens. Aliens win.
-Boss Llama

MrBlah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MrBlah » Fri May 25, 2012 12:27 pm

What about the disgruntled ghosts of hostile aliens?
Eater of Potatoes, since 2008.

I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Fri May 25, 2012 2:10 pm

MrBlah wrote:What about the disgruntled ghosts of hostile aliens?
Well...humans are alien to earth...and we have ghosts! blah is correct!
CG6505 CPT Nelson LCDR Wischmeier AST1 Skimin AMT2 Nichols-4SEP08
CG1705 LCDR Barnes LT Bryant AMTC Seidman AET2 Grigonis AET2 Beacham AMT2 Moletzsky AMT3 Kreder-29OCT09
CG6017 LT Krueger AMT1 Hoke AMT2 Banks-07JUL10
CG6535 LCDR Taylor LTjg Cameron ASTC Jorge AET3 Knight-29FEB12
WPB87340-2 BMC Terrell Horne-2Dec12
WMSL751 BM3 Obendorf-18DEC13

BETTEH
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BETTEH » Fri May 25, 2012 6:13 pm

You may not believe in them Al, but there was no money to be made when I was growing up living in a haunted house. My family moved into an old three story house in New England, the third floor would have objects randomly moved and placed in awkward places. My parents were sure it was me, I assured them it was not. Later on they began to hang pictures and mirrors on the walls only to have them smashed on the floor. We could hear them being tossed upstairs one at a time. We had a security system installed, police patrols. I still live with that, growing up and being terrified just to go home after school. I don't speak of it often, as most people cast aside what they don't know and instill their own sense of reason on the matter. I lived it, I know it, I feared it.

tl;dr Ghosts
2004 DOD Ville Cup Champs - Hobo Strike Squad
Fanciful Unicorn! 2011 Warpath Cup + Villympics Champs.

Stevo
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun
Minecraft name: StevoTVR
Uplay name: StevoTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Stevo » Fri May 25, 2012 7:46 pm

BETTEH wrote:You may not believe in them Al, but there was no money to be made when I was growing up living in a haunted house. My family moved into an old three story house in New England, the third floor would have objects randomly moved and placed in awkward places. My parents were sure it was me, I assured them it was not. Later on they began to hang pictures and mirrors on the walls only to have them smashed on the floor. We could hear them being tossed upstairs one at a time. We had a security system installed, police patrols. I still live with that, growing up and being terrified just to go home after school. I don't speak of it often, as most people cast aside what they don't know and instill their own sense of reason on the matter. I lived it, I know it, I feared it.

tl;dr Ghosts
How did you determine that ghosts caused these events? How do you know it wasn't aliens?

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Fri May 25, 2012 8:04 pm

I honestly think that ghosts make for much better stories. Aliens are overdone and hokey to me at this point; there's just nothing inherently scary about outer-space creatures. While the same can be said about ghosts for other people, I personally find that there's a much higher fright factor in something which started out as something familiar, then turned into a hostile and unfamiliar entity (ghosts) than something altogether unfamiliar that just shows up out of the sky with no clear motivation (aliens).

I think there is a possibility of both ghosts and aliens. I also think that, if there are ghosts, not all are hostile. Some people/things just stick around for whatever reason without any hostile intent.

MateoTheBold!
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by MateoTheBold! » Fri May 25, 2012 9:05 pm

Zookie had something happen to her when she was younger (Jr Highish) that leaves her convinced to this day that ghosts exist. It's a rather creepy story I admit, and its a little hard to punch any logical holes in it. I won't steal her thunder by spoiling the beans, though.

Warpath Cup- FU-2011, FAIL 2012
Villeympics- BB 2011, USAHB 2012
Ville Cup- HK 2011, SNES 2012, :TIME: 2013, CTB 2014