BlackHawk
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Resturant Menu Feedback Needed

Post by BlackHawk » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:28 pm

This semester I have a class called resturant ops. Each week a different student creates a menu and runs the Crystal Room Restuarant like it is their own restuarant. I would like some feed back on my menu. Each entree comes with Soup, Salad, Bread, Entree, Vegetable, Starch (except pasta), and dessert. Here is mine -

Salad Course - Spinach Salad with Bacon

Soup - Spicy Tomato and Blue Cheese

Bread - Classic Dinner Rolls

Vegetable - Green Beans with Red Onions Sauteed in Olive Oil and Garlic

Starch - Rice Pilaf

Dessert - Strawberry Mousse in a edible chocolate cup garnished with a vanilla tuile cookie

Beef Entree - 8oz Tuscan Grilled Sirloin Steak topped with a fried egg and goat cheese - $16.95

Chicken Entree - 8oz Mushroom Stuffed Chicken Breast topped with a supreme sauce - $15.95

Seafood Entree - Grilled Shrimp Scampi with soy sauce, fresh ginger, and farlic - $16.59

Vegetarian Entree - Pesto Penne - Penne Pasta with a pesto sauce and crushed cherry tomatoes - $13.95
“I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.”
― W.C. Fields

MrBlah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Resturant Menu Feedback Needed

Post by MrBlah » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:32 pm

It is my personal opinion that your Salad, soup, and bread could use some improvement. More things in the salad, add cucumber and tomato? Dunno about the soup, so maybe it doesn't need improvement, and I like the small sliced loaf of bread idea better than dinner rolls. All the rest looks pretty good actually.
Eater of Potatoes, since 2008.

I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

BlackHawk
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BlackHawk » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:38 pm

the issue I run into is that I am limited to a total cost of $6.78 and max I can charge is $16.95
― W.C. Fields

BlackHawk
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BlackHawk » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:45 pm

I am also thinking about doing a classic wedge salad. Since I know how to carve vegetables I can really make it look good with little cost. I have dones the soup at work and it went over extremely well. As for the bread, if I have the extra money I would think about doing flavored butters. Three small rolls with three different butters
― W.C. Fields

loka
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by loka » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:39 pm

cucumber salad for your salad. it's cheap and delicious.
ImageImage
BLS DoD 1.3 '06 Ville Cup Winner
Death Dealers DoD 1.3 '07 Ville Cup Winner

Checkm8
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Checkm8 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:45 pm

BlackHawk wrote:This semester I have a class called resturant ops. Each week a different student creates a menu and runs the Crystal Room Restuarant like it is their own restuarant. I would like some feed back on my menu. Each entree comes with Soup, Salad, Bread, Entree, Vegetable, Starch (except pasta), and dessert. Here is mine -

Salad Course - Bacon

Starch - Rice Pilaf

Dessert - Strawberry Mousse in a edible chocolate cup garnished with a vanilla tuile cookie

Beef Entree - 8oz Tuscan Grilled Sirloin Steak topped with a fried egg and goat cheese - $16.95
enough for me.

Jesus_Faction
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Jesus_Faction » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:19 pm

now im hungry

One_Medic_Army
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by One_Medic_Army » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:48 pm

I think the biggest thing is to know your audience, especially whoever is going to be grading this.
Personally I'll go for blue cheese/garlic on everything, but some people have more subtle tastes.

The main courses and soup look good, but the complexity there makes the bread, salad, and starch seem a little plain in comparison.

It all sounds good enough to make me hungry though, good luck :)
ImageImage
VIEW CONTENT:

The Spanish Inquisition
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by The Spanish Inquisition » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:59 am

BlackHawk wrote:This semester I have a class called resturant ops. Each week a different student creates a menu and runs the Crystal Room Restuarant like it is their own restuarant. I would like some feed back on my menu. Each entree comes with Soup, Salad, Bread, Entree, Vegetable, Starch (except pasta), and dessert. Here is mine -

Salad Course - Spinach Salad with Bacon

Starch - Rice Pilaf

Chicken Entree - 8oz Mushroom Stuffed Chicken Breast topped with a supreme sauce - $15.95

Seafood Entree - Grilled Shrimp Scampi with soy sauce, fresh ginger, and farlic - $16.59

Vegetarian Entree - Pesto Penne - Penne Pasta with a pesto sauce and crushed cherry tomatoes - $13.95
I had to do something similar when I was in cooking school. Basically we were running a real fine dining room for the rest of the college faculty and students(who could afford it.)

Salad: Spinach and bacon is boring. Add crushed pistachios and toss with a bacon-raspberry dressing (no seeds please.)

Bread: I've been baking my own bread for a long time now. One thing I do is buy a bouqet garni pack of poultry herbs and finely chop a little bit an then add that to my regular bread dough. The rest I use in a chicken dish usually. I'll make little dinner rolls or braid a loaf for pulling apart. brush with olive oil lightly before baking. Focaccia bread is also a good choice with spinach.

Soup: Spicy tomato and bleu cheese sounds good. Gorganzola is also good. Try experimenting with a dollop of sourcream and float a splash of good dry vermouth in the middle.

Vegies: Green beans and red onions are good but I've recently been turned on to 'red onion jam' which is basically just red onions carmelized in sugar. It's great on burgers and anywhere else you might put red onions.

Rice pilaf is hard to get right or more importantly keep right. Have your best rice pilaf guy making it. Sometimes chefs will leave the lid off and it gets a dryed out layer quickly. Even though they stir it up before dishing it, you can tell.

The menu wording could be flowered up a bit. Also, waiters must be told or shown or force fed exactly what you are serving. People will ask for substitutions or something stupid like instead of frying the egg, they want it scrambled. No. It comes as is described on the menu; "the Denny's restaurant is down the street you undeserving peasant."
Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquisition!

MrBlah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MrBlah » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:08 am

The Spanish Inquisition wrote:People will ask for substitutions or something stupid like instead of frying the egg, they want it scrambled. No. It comes as is described on the menu; "the Denny's restaurant is down the street you undeserving peasant."
They will also want things omitted from the recipe because they might be allergic to them.

Salad - spinach leaves with cherry tomatoes, cucumber, and lemon vinaigrette dressing.

Customer: "I would like the salad without tomatoes please."
server: "Sorry I can't do that"
Customer: "Fine, won't get a salad on top of the rest of what I was going to get" (You just lost money, not only from a customer not ordering more, but also that you would have the advantage of a greater profit with no tomatoes) ... server also won't get a good tip for saying something like that.
Eater of Potatoes, since 2008.

I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Clay Pigeon
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Clay Pigeon » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:39 am

I like your menu. You appear to have a typo in your seafood entree's price.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power tyrants and dictators cannot stand." - The prophet G'Kar

M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by M's » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:49 am

Sounds and good; another cost cutting measure you can do is to serve a 4 oz slice of beef. Which by the way is a serving size.

And I would have to agree that the salad seems plain in comparison.

Clay Pigeon
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Clay Pigeon » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:36 am

Are you using some sort of oil and vinegar mixture with the salad, or is it only bacon and spinach?
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power tyrants and dictators cannot stand." - The prophet G'Kar

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:50 am

Do you have to maintain one starch for everything? Rice pilaf looks like a good accompaniment for the chicken and beef, but not the seafood.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

Soup Nazi
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Soup Nazi » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:22 pm

If going with a spinach salad, I find that taking a Mediterranean twist is a good accompaniment for seafood. 4 basic components: Spinach, crumbled feta, crasians (partially dried cranberries), and a light cranberry-based dressing. Done right, it tastes very good, but not overpowering.

As for soup.... don’t get me started XP
=USV= [BB] [IV] [WARPATH] [USAHB] :TIME: :TOOL: