Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Resturant Menu Feedback Needed

Post by Boss Llama » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:27 pm

Here's my feedback on it, which comes from the perspective of a potential diner with no professional cooking training, and very finicky tastes.

Salad - Is it only Spinach and Bacon, or are those just the main elements? If there's anything else included, list those things, including dressing, oil & vinegar, etc. Vegetarians won't be pleased that the salad has bacon in it - if they omit that, is it simply a bowl of spinach? As a non-entree salad, there are probably some non-meats that would make it more flexible and less faddish (bacon is a huge fad right now, as we all know, but will it last?).

Soup - Sounds good.

Bread - This is the important one to me. Pretty much everybody in my family judges restaurants on the bread, and remembers them the same way. I can more readily describe the bread I had at a dozen fancy sit-downs than I can the entrees. A quality seasoned foccacia, olive bread, or soft twisted loaf will earn high marks. If you do classic dinner rolls, make sure they are damn good.

Vegetable - I'm not qualified to speak here, as I don't eat nearly any veggies, but anything in olive oil and garlic can't be bad.

Starch - There are many preparations of Pilaf, with various ingredients and consistencies. Like with the salad, be as descriptive as possible. I like to know the components of a dish before I order it, and having it in writing saves trouble for everybody.

Dessert - Sounds good.

Beef Entree - Tuscan grilled sirloin is awesome - ditch the egg though! This isn't breakfast, I don't want an egg on my steak. A good steak will stand quite well by itself, though I certainly approve of the cheese (I like cheese on pretty much anything). Dice up that egg and add it to the pilaf, or hardboil it for the salad or something.

Chicken Entree - Sounds good, but don't forget the accent over the e in Suprême. Supreme sauce is what you get at a fast food joint, Suprême sauce is what you get in French cuisine.

Seafood Entree - Though I don't like shrimp personally, the preparation sounds delicious. My only concern is that the Asian-inspired flavors may not mesh well with the rest of the menu, which feels like a tour of the Mediterranean.

Vegetarian Entree - I looks tasty to me, though I've heard from vegetarians that they get tired of basic pasta options. You could keep with the pasta staple and the Mediterranean theme, but perhaps spice it up a bit, by doing something like a vegetable couscous dish. I'm out of my league on specifics here, but that's probably what I'd try to aim for in your position.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Hope they're useful!
-Boss Llama

Clay Pigeon
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Clay Pigeon » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:26 pm

Alizée Fan wrote:
Beef Entree - Tuscan grilled sirloin is awesome - ditch the egg though! This isn't breakfast, I don't want an egg on my steak. A good steak will stand quite well by itself, though I certainly approve of the cheese (I like cheese on pretty much anything). Dice up that egg and add it to the pilaf, or hardboil it for the salad or something.
I must disagree with you. One of the best suppers I ever had was pork belly with root vegetable spaetzle and a sunny-side up egg on top.

If you've ever had a bandeja paisa you'd know that egg goes excellently with steak. As does avocado and grilled onions. Now I'm hungry...

/I don't do accent marks of umlauts.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power tyrants and dictators cannot stand." - The prophet G'Kar

Bakuryu
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Post by Bakuryu » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:32 pm

Instead of a regular bread roll, go with something like a crostini. You can use just about anything as a topping - and you can get more out of less, as crostini tend to be simple to prepare, but often are much more attractive presentation-wise, resulting in something you can charge a lot for a little.
I will find you...and I will kill you

Pain in the @&^% TF'er since 2000.

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:18 pm

MrBlah wrote:
The Spanish Inquisition wrote:People will ask for substitutions or something stupid like instead of frying the egg, they want it scrambled. No. It comes as is described on the menu; "the Denny's restaurant is down the street you undeserving peasant."
They will also want things omitted from the recipe because they might be allergic to them.

Salad - spinach leaves with cherry tomatoes, cucumber, and lemon vinaigrette dressing.

Customer: "I would like the salad without tomatoes please."
server: "Sorry I can't do that"
Customer: "Fine, won't get a salad on top of the rest of what I was going to get" (You just lost money, not only from a customer not ordering more, but also that you would have the advantage of a greater profit with no tomatoes) ... server also won't get a good tip for saying something like that.
this isnt chili's, the menu...is the menu... allergic or not...and the price is for the whole meal...you will pay the 16 bucks for a steak dinner even if all you eat in the thing is the egg topped on the steak

Also an idea for the vegie...whenever I cook for vegies...I made a chicken dish...and then replace chicken with artichoke...it actually serves as a very good chicken replacement (chicken alfredo, chicken and mushroom etc)

my main complaint however is the "classic dinner roll" I'm having a horrendous thought of you reaching into a plastic bag of rolls and plunking it down on the plate...the bread needs to be rethought...and use oil vice butter
CG6505 CPT Nelson LCDR Wischmeier AST1 Skimin AMT2 Nichols-4SEP08
CG1705 LCDR Barnes LT Bryant AMTC Seidman AET2 Grigonis AET2 Beacham AMT2 Moletzsky AMT3 Kreder-29OCT09
CG6017 LT Krueger AMT1 Hoke AMT2 Banks-07JUL10
CG6535 LCDR Taylor LTjg Cameron ASTC Jorge AET3 Knight-29FEB12
WPB87340-2 BMC Terrell Horne-2Dec12
WMSL751 BM3 Obendorf-18DEC13

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:10 pm

At less than 20 bucks for a full meal, it may not be Chili's or Denny's, but it ain't the Taj Mahal. While it's fine not to allow substitutions, the idea of not allowing omissions is absurd. Unless the requested omission is an actual mixed component of something that cannot be unmixed, there is no reason but ego to insist on adding it if the diner requests otherwise. People want what they like, and if a person requests that some component be kept off, keep it off.
-Boss Llama

bullet4o1
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by bullet4o1 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:34 pm

I was sold when you said Bacon.
Intel I7 860 | Intel Board | 8GB DDR3 PC1600 | MSI HD5770 Juniper XT | 32 GB SSD | 4.25 TB's and counting!!

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:51 pm

Alizée Fan wrote:At less than 20 bucks for a full meal, it may not be Chili's or Denny's, but it ain't the Taj Mahal. While it's fine not to allow substitutions, the idea of not allowing omissions is absurd. Unless the requested omission is an actual mixed component of something that cannot be unmixed, there is no reason but ego to insist on adding it if the diner requests otherwise. People want what they like, and if a person requests that some component be kept off, keep it off.
the price though has nothing to do with it...*generally* that's the menu...and that's what is in the kitchen ...to keep overhead down and freshness up

if you are talking about just removal of an item...that's fine but dont expect to substitute...or a price reduction
CG6505 CPT Nelson LCDR Wischmeier AST1 Skimin AMT2 Nichols-4SEP08
CG1705 LCDR Barnes LT Bryant AMTC Seidman AET2 Grigonis AET2 Beacham AMT2 Moletzsky AMT3 Kreder-29OCT09
CG6017 LT Krueger AMT1 Hoke AMT2 Banks-07JUL10
CG6535 LCDR Taylor LTjg Cameron ASTC Jorge AET3 Knight-29FEB12
WPB87340-2 BMC Terrell Horne-2Dec12
WMSL751 BM3 Obendorf-18DEC13

LadeeeDuke
USV Leadership
USV Leadership

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by LadeeeDuke » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:31 pm

Sounds good individually. The only thing that you may want to consider is mixing lighter fair with the heavier fair. I keep seeing cheese, butter, and other fat ladden things and my stomach moans a little. Loka's idea about the cucumber is true. In addition, I've found that salads are wonderful way to bring color and texture to a menu . . . if done well.
Also, if a chef has a ton of sauces on everything, it tells me the quality of the food is lacking and he is probably trying to cover up for what is lacking. Fewer ingredients done very well is also very appealing.

Larry
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Larry » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:37 pm

coming from a person that eats Ramen noodles and frozen pizzas 4 days a week, everything sounds good, but to improve the salad add shredded cheese. I don't even know what the rest of those are lol, ill have to google them.
edit: Fried potatoes are the best, put those in there somewhere, and that menu will blow your mind.
Thanks to Seagreens for the spiffy banner!
VIEW CONTENT:
RIP Mr. Laptop 5/21/13
USAHB-Team Hand Brake 2012 Villy-Stuff
#HL3 TVC '13
FAIL Warpath Cup 2012-Proud to FAIL
Heck's Kitchen 2011

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:02 pm

Cpt._Keyes wrote:if you are talking about just removal of an item...that's fine but dont expect to substitute...or a price reduction
Aye, that's all I'm talking about; removing something without replacing it. Sounded a bit like some folks were suggesting that shouldn't be allowed.
-Boss Llama

BlackHawk
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BlackHawk » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:20 pm

I like Soup Nazi's idea, if I did that I would probably change the goat cheese on the steak to Feta. I am still consdering doing a classic wedge salad. Chef Alford did one for a chef's dinner and it came out great. Add in he did radish roses, which he has taught me how to make, and it made the dish look very high end

As for the sauce there is only one dish that uses a sauce directly, that is the chicken. I did that because I could not find a good price for chicken breast with skin on, which is great when the skin is nice and crispy. Since I could not get skin on, I added the spreme sauce (and I know there is supposed to be an accent) to bring a little more flavor

I may have to change the seafood dish. When I did the menu in class it was right before shrimp prices went through the roof.

I am not happy with the pasta myself. I have yet to find a stricktly vegetarian pasta I like. I am on a 6 hour car ride tomorrow (for an ice carving competition) with the chef who used to teach the class, so I may talk to him about ideas.

The bread will be made not store bought. I would like to change it but I may not have it in my budget. They do taste great though, I make them for events already and they are quickly grabbed up.

I am really good with rice pilaf, and I add a few more tweaks like saffron and diced roasted red pepper. I actuall have had times where I have had to make it for the food prep II class because no one in the calss could make it right (Food prep II runs the kitchen for lunch when it is open to the public)

I do know I am heavy on the olive oil, and need to find a acid to cut it with.

But over all the bigest issue is that I am on a tight budget. I have do do everything for $6.78 or less while still providing full service white table cloth level food. It's not an easy thing to do.

As for removal of items, that can be done. Subs is a little more difficult depending on what they want to sub, but we are taught to work with the customers on this
“I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.”
― W.C. Fields

The Spanish Inquisition
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by The Spanish Inquisition » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:51 pm

The reason for not allowing subs in school restaurant is because everyone is learning. If you are allergic to tomatoes and tell the waiter you don't want tomatoes, there is a very good chance that the guy making salads doesn't understand tomato allergies and that you can't even get a drop of tomato juice on anything. Salad guy most likely has already prepared a few salads ready to go and then just picks off the tomatoes.

It's only through experience that you learn to not get burned on things like this and the school setting is just not the place to test your luck.
Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquisition!

BlackHawk
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BlackHawk » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:54 pm

That is true in a highschool level class, but this is an advanced college level class, and food safety, including allergen awarness, is part of the grade. We treat this like a real world resturant, the only thing is we can not be fired, though we can be failed
“I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.”
― W.C. Fields

Soup Nazi
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Soup Nazi » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:18 pm

BlackHawk wrote:I like Soup Nazi's idea.
:dance: Thats the first time I've heard that in a while! XP

As a foodie myself (and also my name sake here), I enjoy good foods and appreciate the care and hard work it takes to make something that much more special. I commend you for trying your luck at such a demanding profession. Such as it is, I still find that being a real chef would be too hard for me. I can make a great meal for myself and a few friends and family, but I wouldn't be able to take the heartache of having people eat my art all the time XP

What are some of the available types of seafood you have to work with? Same thing with veggies! I'm sure you know, local ingredients is often cheaper and fresher.
=USV= [BB] [IV] [WARPATH] [USAHB] :TIME: :TOOL:

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:00 pm

Impressive challenges you're working with, BlackHawk.

Another fun pasta to work with if you're still considering stuff for the vegetarian plate is Orzo. I don't think you'd ever do it with a rice pilaf, but IIRC you said the vegetarian dish didn't need to have a starch accompaniment. Stir-fry it instead of just boiling, and add whatever you like (I'm sure you know better than I do). It does taste good with a bit of lemon or other citrus in it, which might help with the acid side you're hunting.

Feta is definitely great with sirloin. Good choice (imo).
-Boss Llama