Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Adventures in Crap

Post by TheCarpe » Wed May 25, 2011 3:02 pm

No, this isn't the revival of the poop thread :P

I've been talking about this on the Shoutbox, but since it's probably going to be a developing story, I thought I'd make a post.

Some who know me might know I shop at Woot, a deal-a-day site who at random intervals runs what is called a Woot-Off, where multiple items come up rapid-fire. The treasured find of these Woot-Offs are the mysterious Bags of Crap. They're 3 dollars plus shipping and promise at least three random items. As per the name, most of it is crap, but some people find brand new routers or other nice things in their bags. They usually tend to sell out within a couple minutes and, often, crash the site with orders.

I'd won two before previously and got pretty crappy hauls in them.

My first Bag consisted of a T-Shirt, a collapsible picnic basket, a portable iPod speaker, and a High School Musical wall clock.

My second Bag consisted of three Would You Rather desk calendars, two High School Musical alarm clocks, a Pirates of the Caribbean accessory case, and a TV tuner card (no box, just loose, but with manuals.). Picture

So as you can see, for the most part, the Bag of Crap has lived up to it's name.

A couple weeks ago, I won a third one, it arrived today. Its contents were rather crappy. Two Wii-mote Nunchuk 2-packs, a book of wrestling poems written by Randy Savage's brother Lanny Poffo, and an 8x10 glossy photograph of San Antonio Spurs' David Robinson. Picture

On the back of the photo, was this. The fabled Woot Letter. A forum poster at the Woot Forums sums it up the best:
"The 'Letter' is a note/letter in a Bag of Crap that states that your Final item wouldn't fit in your box and will be arriving separately... This Final 'item' for people has been anything from a Big Screen TV to a Pallet of Coffee makers to a pallet of Action Figures to a pallet of Car Wax to a pallet of many random things...."
So now I wait to see what awesome/absurd thing Woot has in store for me. More on this story, as it develops :)
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

Gizanked
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Adventures in Crap

Post by Gizanked » Wed May 25, 2011 3:14 pm

i've never been able to acquire a bag of crap although i've wanted to many times.
http://www.tf2items.com/id/evagizanked
the artist formerly known as Replica

bullet4o1
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by bullet4o1 » Wed May 25, 2011 3:20 pm

Wow I hate you. All I get is crap.

try www.wooters.us next time Giz.
Intel I7 860 | Intel Board | 8GB DDR3 PC1600 | MSI HD5770 Juniper XT | 32 GB SSD | 4.25 TB's and counting!!

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Wed May 25, 2011 3:32 pm

Interestingly, the item missing from your description of the current Bandolier of Carrots is the bag itself. Every BoC has some sort of container (the picnic basket and the accessory case, from your previous ones), so I wonder what you've got coming this time around... a luggage set perhaps? Would be interesting.

I've picked up Bejewelled Cabbages on three occasions, without ever really scoring big (no surprise, it IS crap afterall). Assuming the missing item turns out to be cool, you'll be the first person I've known to succeed on this particular lottery.

---edit---

Hmm, I see the picture now, which includes the paper ? bag. Was that bag inside the box as well? It's not a standard item unless they've started shipping that way (can't imagine they do - FedEx wouldn't accept it!). A total crapshoot, then!
Last edited by Boss Llama on Wed May 25, 2011 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Boss Llama

Ignatius
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Ignatius » Wed May 25, 2011 3:33 pm

Looking forward to see what comes of this.
TVC'10: Badass Bunch
Warpath Cup'11: Hades Babies, Villympics'11: Bold and the Beautiful, TVC'11: Conballers
Warpath Cup'12: FAIL Villympics`12: ACME

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Wed May 25, 2011 3:36 pm

The paper bag is and was empty and was just in with the rest of the crap.
Alizée Fan wrote:Bandolier of Carrots
Heh, funny you should choose that nickname. The T-shirt in my first Boggy Old Creature was of exactly that. It's a white shirt with a bandoleer emblazoned with a Woot logo, filled with carrots :D
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Wed May 25, 2011 3:42 pm

TheCarpe wrote:The paper bag was and is empty and was just in with the rest of the crap.
Ah, ok, that's the bag then. Every Bag o' Crap has a bag in addition to the craps ordered. It's one of your items :-P
Alizée Fan wrote:Bandolier of Carrots
Heh, funny you should choose that nickname. The T-shirt in my first Boggy Old Creature was of exactly that. It's a white shirt with a bandoleer emblazoned with a Woot logo, filled with carrots :D[/quote]

Hehe, I remember that t-shirt - nearly bought it. "Bandolier of Carrots" was, for a very long time, the Woot forum auto-substitution for "Bag of Crap." They made the t-shirt in honor of it :-P
-Boss Llama

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Wed May 25, 2011 6:32 pm

One other person on the Woot forums has declared receiving a letter. His Bag also came with a piece of Randy Savage memorabilia (in his case, a July 1990 WWF magazine with Randy Savage on the cover).

A theme could be presenting itself.

More as it unfolds.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Wed May 25, 2011 9:39 pm

Heh, I see your book was signed by the author, as well :-P

Checking the forum, how funny would it be if you got one of the giant wooden monkey statues?
-Boss Llama

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Sun May 29, 2011 9:37 am

Still waiting to hear. Nothing has arrived, no emails, no shipping notifications. Two other people have gotten letters, and they haven't heard either. The first guy I already mentioned above, the most recent got his also written on the back of an NBA official photograph. Three seems to be the magic number for letters.

Found this video last night of a former letter recipient outlining the details of his and other recipients letters from a Woot-Off about a year ago. It really doesn't have much basis on what I may be receiving, but it gives you an idea of the range of possibilities.

gator
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by gator » Sun May 29, 2011 10:06 am

I guess the thing it was written on doesn't give any hint as to what you might be getting?

I'd laugh if it was like a life-size cardboard cutout of David Robinson or something, although if it was autographed by him it'd be worth something at least.

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Sun May 29, 2011 11:49 am

Usually it's an actual, physical letter on Woot stationery in an envelope. To my knowledge, receiving them this way is unusual.

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Tue May 31, 2011 7:08 am

So I just received a call from FedEx. Tomorrow is the day, between 10 and 2.

83 Pounds.

:shock:

KRG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by KRG » Tue May 31, 2011 7:15 am

83 lbs? Good gawd man they've shipped you an Oompa Loompa!
I have a butt and you do too. Let's be friends.

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Tue May 31, 2011 7:59 am

I'm going with a goat.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius