NeanderDude
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: How did you find the ville?

Post by NeanderDude » Mon May 16, 2011 3:45 pm

I found it while looking for a Dustbowl map with good ping times. I haven't been playing TF2 for very long (been doing fps games for years though), but I really liked the community here. I'd been looking for a good place to play, one where language was watched (I sometimes play without the headset), manners were observed and the people were cool.

Funny story (to me, anyway): the very first time I got on TV8, I hadn't been online for much more than 30 seconds before someone ubered me. I had no idea where I was going as I was completely unfamiliar with the map, but it was a really fun experience. The center point was capped and we were pushing towards the 4th point and cleaning out the tunnel. I'm not sure how much help I really was, but it sure was fun.

I haven't been able to play much this last week, and probably won't be able to spend much time on this week. But I sure hope I can find a few hours to hop on one of the servers and enjoy this community.

"A coffin made from bald cyprus will last a lifetime" -- Roy Underhill

Pine
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Pine » Mon May 16, 2011 4:43 pm

I had been playing a lot of surfing maps in CS Condition Zero before TF2 was out and then one of my friends on the server bought TF2 right after release and I asked if it was any good and decided to buy it. The first server I happened to jump on randomly was a Ville server where I met Blown who was quite nice and I stayed there for a while. Then I remember playing a bunch on the custom maps server with a heap of other villuns (I believe it was TV X at the time) and had a blast on all those custom maps, but I was fully secured into The Ville when they finally took Warpath off the customs server and moved it to its own 24/7.

l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l3eeron » Mon May 16, 2011 5:37 pm

I found the ville back in '01 looking for servers playing NeoTF, a mod for Team Fortress Classic. That evolved into years of playing DoD 1.3 here, then DoDS, TF2 etc...

I can't tell you how many friends I've made over the years. And how healthy this whole thing has been for my spirit.

Long live The Ville.

OldMan
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by OldMan » Mon May 16, 2011 5:42 pm

Several years ago, while playing DoD 1.3, I happened across a Ville server. The environment, the people, the admins, were just what I was looking for. I played every chance I could get, I never joined the forums. I was working 12-16 hours a day and when I wasn't catching up on sleep, I was playing DoD 1.3. A few years passed when I wasn't able to play due to work and life... When I got back into gaming, I remembered the Ville. It was the one place I played that stuck out in my memory.
I was getting into DoDS and bam, helloooo Ville! Then Dog's awesome L4DoD mod got me to join the fourms. Since then, I've been having a blast here! I didn't really like TF2 when it came out, but have since grown to love it and the community here at the Ville.

grover
Villun
Villun

Post by grover » Mon May 16, 2011 8:26 pm

Flaming Cheese Wheel. We shut down the server we had been running since right after TF2 came out...We used to be Newbie Trainer 4 TF2 server and then they kicked our friend Ravnox out and we started a new clan...anyway...when my husband and I started have a bit of a slow down in our business, we decided to cut out the TF2 server we were paying for...so Cheese Wheel found a new home. A lot of our regulars are here also because of him. I recognize a lot of ville people from the XIRP's Tiki Lounge days.

Flaming Cheese Wheel
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flaming Cheese Wheel » Mon May 16, 2011 9:08 pm

As for me... I don't remember how I got here. :oops:

Ignatius
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Ignatius » Mon May 16, 2011 9:46 pm

I started playing TF2 again at around June of last year, remembered the last time I played I really enjoyed the map Warpath, and that's really about it.

I think I signed up on the forums for the Ville Cup, as I enjoy some friendly competitive play.
TVC'10: Badass Bunch
Warpath Cup'11: Hades Babies, Villympics'11: Bold and the Beautiful, TVC'11: Conballers
Warpath Cup'12: FAIL Villympics`12: ACME

Gizanked
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Gizanked » Mon May 16, 2011 10:00 pm

Well in the summer of 2000, I went down to visit an old friend I grew up with but had moved away from after 6th grade. (shadowvalor in case he ever pops in. It has been a while so it is all kinda funny now. Well one of the days he showed me this glorious game called TFC. I was bad, but i blame that on his weird trackball mouse. well even with the crap mouse the first time I played TFC, I played untill 7am without realizing it.

In the process I jumped from server to server trying to find something fun. I like 2fort but I especially liked a map called avanti. I saw signs all over the server I was playing on for Avantiville.

-a long time passes-

well then in the summer of '01 I finally get my own computer as a gift from my dad that is capable of playing games beyond solitaire and minesweeper. I try really hard to find a server called avantiville.. but nothing shows up. So then using my super powered brain I see a server just labeled as "TheVille" and it is playing avanti. I jump on and get going. It wasn't untill the next summer though that I got the courage to join the forums.

Since then I've gone through a name change and a couple promotions. Some college some weddings and a lot of great people. This place has been home for me for 1/3 of my life and it is really quite amazing.

http://www.tf2items.com/id/evagizanked
the artist formerly known as Replica

Bakuryu
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Post by Bakuryu » Mon May 16, 2011 10:23 pm

Back in...99? 2000? I came across the Avantiville and Turkeyburgers servers whilst looking for decent servers with my favorite map, Avanti (stupid maps that don't port well). Made a bunch of friends and then lost touch after my junior year of high school when I stopped most of my gaming to focus more on school stuff. Found the servers still kickin a few years later, and then when I got TF2 in 2008, there was the Ville, albeit with a new webpage and newer folks, but still mostly the same old place.
I will find you...and I will kill you

Pain in the @&^% TF'er since 2000.

jaypeebuoy
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by jaypeebuoy » Mon May 16, 2011 10:30 pm

I started playing TF2 last summer when I was with a friend and we wanted to play a game together. Luckily we both had TF2 on Steam (I took a two year break from Steam due to school) and reinstalled it. I found teh ocho randomly one day when I was playing by myself, liked it enough to favorite, and eventually it became the only server I played on for awhile. Part of this was because it was because I came after a few class updates and had no idea what I was doing. The community was nice enough not to make fun of me too much when I didn't know you could upgrade dispensers, that you could pick them up, that Spies could still be alive after you "kill" them (I didn't figure out the dead ringer for... like a month?), and other things of that nature.

Other aspects of the server appealed to me as well. This included the mature response to cursing and racism. Seeing admins or other players ask players to tone it down and the players responding with a "oh sorry" most of the time was new to me and got rid of a big reason why I don't play online games that often. I played Warpath enough where I became familiar with the regulars and then I never really had a reason to seek out another server.

I joined the forum when The Warpath Cup occured while I did lurk for a month or two. I loved the purpleness of it, the ease and streamlined nature of the support page, and the professional and open nature of the administrators. What made me immediately respect theVille community on the larger scale was the Appreciation thread that was made quickly after I decided to become a supporter. I know it is easy to see who donates and make a thread but the gesture of creating the thread and having other people I didn't know comment in it was something I didn't expect and stayed with me. Seeing the admins place an emphasis on appreciating the supporters from forum threads and the column on the front page makes me proud to support theVille.

Basically, you all rock.

Also, I'm "writing" a final paper right now so I probably procrastinated and wrote a lot...*looks up*...yep.

Refuel
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Refuel » Mon May 16, 2011 10:48 pm

after making the transition from xbox to PC after an insurance settlement, i quickly found the 24/7 warpath server back in 08. Have been here ever since.

What keeps me coming back? the people hands down.

Dirty Dan
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dirty Dan » Tue May 17, 2011 12:06 am

l3eeron wrote:...And how healthy this whole thing has been for my spirit.

Long live The Ville.
This!

grover
Villun
Villun

Post by grover » Tue May 17, 2011 1:14 pm

I also think I remember from the old TFC days occasionally playing here.

Fizbon666
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Post by Fizbon666 » Thu May 19, 2011 8:32 pm

Shortly after TF2 came out my friend and I were playing and he started playing on one of (the? )theville servers. I started checking my stats, and kept playing after he stopped. Soon after that I started lurking on the forums. Been (mostly) a lurker ever since.

unknown
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by unknown » Thu May 19, 2011 8:52 pm

my brother told me about it so i joined