If your post doesn't fit any other boards subject, then post it here
MateoTheBold!
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

3DS: Anyone pick one up yet?

Post by MateoTheBold! » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:40 am

I was reading this Wired article about the 3DS's lackluster sales: http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/04/n ... 3ds-sales/ and it made me wonder: any Villuns purchase the 3DS yet? If you have, what are your impressions?

Warpath Cup- FU-2011, FAIL 2012
Villeympics- BB 2011, USAHB 2012
Ville Cup- HK 2011, SNES 2012, :TIME: 2013, CTB 2014

gator
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: 3DS: Anyone pick one up yet?

Post by gator » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:51 am

I didn't purchase one (background: I've never owned a handheld gaming system either), but I played one for a few minutes at PAX.

From the brief play time, the 3D worked fine and added some depth to the viewing experience, but IMO there's nothing compelling about having 3D on a tiny screen (i.e. 2.5-3") to justify getting such a system.

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:10 pm

I don't own one and probably won't due to lack of funds/reason to get one just yet, but I tried it at the store for a while. I was skeptical of the 3D before going in, but it succeeded at impressing me with how well it worked.

Unfortunately there weren't any real games in the in-store demo mode for me to try it out with, so I can't judge its game-playing value. The slider-stick thing looks like a nice step up from the D-pad though. I doubt I'll be picking one up anytime soon, but it looks pretty neat.

At the end of the day, it's still essentially just another gimmick tacked onto the existing DS with a few minor hardware upgrades here and there, and a graphical boost. Not a whole new system in and of itself. :| That might explain the lacking sales it's getting. They've done so many iterations of the DS already, some still very recently (DS, DS Lite, DSi, DSi BS* XL), I'm not surprised that people don't want a new one just yet. They've probably even overwhelmed the rabid fans who scoop up every piece of hardware the second it comes out. Even some of them wouldn't pay for FIVE copies of nearly the same hardware I bet.

*DSi BS is my brother's name for the XL. BS stands for "Big Screen." :P

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:19 pm

I have one. I had some money left over after PAX and was impressed with the machine, so I picked it up. The effect is pretty neat, although it can be a bit finicky. The battery life problem people have referred to isn't so bad. I'm coming from a DSi XL which had a similar battery life, so as long I keep it charged when I'm not using it, there's no problem.
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

Supreveio
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Minecraft name: Supreveio
Blizzard tag: Supreveio#1728

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Supreveio » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:10 pm

I don't plan on getting one until Paper Mario and/or Chocobo Racing come out. Maybe Mario Kart, too.
"So what have you been up to, man? Haven't seen you in so long!"
"Ah, you know how it is. Doin' a lot of side projects, some consulting, maybe a little freelance... Those are words that people say when they haven't actually been doing anything, right?"

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:52 pm

I'm not interested yet, not enough games to pick from. I feel that they rushed the released so there's nothing to buy for it (don't care for Ridge Racer, or the gimmicky 'world' games bundled with it), but I know why they released it so early. They gotta stay ahead of the handheld race, as Sony and Microsoft haven't really mentioned anything about a next gen portable (from what I can tell, I don't pay much attention)

I'm likely gonna hold off on it until some of the better titles come out. The Ocarania of Time remake, Star Fox, and Pilotwings have my attention, though i've got to find a job before I consider getting one.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

Cephas
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cephas » Tue May 24, 2011 7:14 am

As my wife's DS begins to go gently into that good night, I figure we'll pick one up at some point. MarioKart Wii (anyone still play that?), WiiFit Plus, and Farm Town are all we are able to make time for at this household.

LoZ:OoT is about all that has piqued my interest; my wife was so disappointed after watching a PilotWings 3D spot that it wasn't for the Wii.
Yay, target! Here to pad your stats!
VIEW CONTENT:
Also, house Medic for Fanciful Unicorns, Ocho Cup 2011 champions! (and my wife went into labor 6 hours after the final!)

M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by M's » Tue May 24, 2011 10:19 am

Nope I still enjoy my Gameboy Advance SP and Donkey Kong, Spyro, and Crash bandicoot. Its perfect for those times when your stuck on the throne.

Ignatius
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Ignatius » Tue May 24, 2011 11:06 am

Considering I still have my DS phat from launch, I think I'm going to wait for a 3DS lite to come around this time.
TVC'10: Badass Bunch
Warpath Cup'11: Hades Babies, Villympics'11: Bold and the Beautiful, TVC'11: Conballers
Warpath Cup'12: FAIL Villympics`12: ACME

MateoTheBold!
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by MateoTheBold! » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:19 am

Ah, I still rocking a DS phat from launch with a broken hinge. We can be DS phattie brothers, Ignatius.

Warpath Cup- FU-2011, FAIL 2012
Villeympics- BB 2011, USAHB 2012
Ville Cup- HK 2011, SNES 2012, :TIME: 2013, CTB 2014

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:14 am

My old launch DS doesn't work anymore without it's AC adaptor, which i've since misplaced. I have two DS Lites though (the L-R buttons wear out on those things pretty quickly).

I know i've got the Metroid Prime Hunters demo somewhere around here...

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

frostdillicus
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by frostdillicus » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:33 am

I will not be getting one. 3d, to me, is a gimmick I am not willing to pay the price of a PS3 for. I am interested in the NGP and am hoping that Sony lets us download digital versions of the current PSP games we own if it has BC with the PSP...but I doubt that will ever happen.

Fox_Blaze
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Fox_Blaze » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:03 am

I still have my franken-DS lite that I still love. It's been through a lot. A broken hinge and its top half almost being broken off. Then being fixed agian by a friend who repairs such stuff and has some extra parts. It used to be all black, but now...it's got a blue top, a white bottom, a black upper screen and lower screen, and white buttons. Snaaaaazy. Oh and 2 really faded stickers that I'm sure used to be pokemon xD
Thanks Nerevarine King for the banner!
TVC '10-Hale's Angels (3rd place)
TVC '11-League of Evil Villuns (2nd place)[/spoiler]

Araris
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Post by Araris » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:47 am

MateoTheBold! wrote:Ah, I still rocking a DS phat from launch with a broken hinge. We can be DS phattie brothers, Ignatius.
I to am still rocking my old DS Phat, although Winky did a number over on it. I'll probably pick up a 3DS this month when they release Ocarina of Time.

Bronze Fox
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Bronze Fox » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:16 am

Zork Nemesis wrote:I know i've got the Metroid Prime Hunters demo somewhere around here...
Mine has held together pretty well honestly.
Got one dead pixel, and the battery only lasts about 4 hours, but those are minor things.