Sony admits Playstation network hacked. Data Stolen.

If your post doesn't fit any other boards subject, then post it here
EmbraceThePing
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Sony admits Playstation network hacked. Data Stolen.

Post by EmbraceThePing » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:45 pm

Just saw this on the news networks and didn't see anything on the forums so I thought I'd post it in case it concerns anyone in the Ville.
ABC News wrote:An unauthorised person stole names, addresses and other personal data belonging to about 77 million people who have accounts on Sony's PlayStation Network, Sony said.

The "illegal and unauthorised person" got access to people's names, addresses, email address, birthdates, usernames, passwords, logins, security questions and more, Sony said on its US PlayStation blog.

Sony, whose PlayStation online service has been down for about a week, said it saw no evidence that credit card numbers were stolen, but warned users it could not rule out the possibility.

"Out of an abundance of caution, we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained," Sony said.

It said its users could place fraud alerts on their credit card accounts through three US credit card bureaus which it recommended in its statement.
Source:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011 ... ion=justin
SonyPS3Blog wrote:Valued PlayStation Network/Qriocity Customer:
We have discovered that between April 17 and April 19, 2011, certain PlayStation Network and Qriocity service user account information was compromised in connection with an illegal and unauthorized intrusion into our network. In response to this intrusion, we have:

1. Temporarily turned off PlayStation Network and Qriocity services;
2. Engaged an outside, recognized security firm to conduct a full and complete investigation into what happened; and
3. Quickly taken steps to enhance security and strengthen our network infrastructure by re-building our system to provide you with greater protection of your personal information.

We greatly appreciate your patience, understanding and goodwill as we do whatever it takes to resolve these issues as quickly and efficiently as practicable.
Check the blog itself for the full transcript.

The SOny PS3 blog.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/ ... -qriocity/

=0

Ouch. Hope this doesn't impact anyone here.
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is ... a heretic!

l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Sony admits Playstation network hacked. Data Stolen.

Post by l3eeron » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:16 pm

Thanks for the heads up.

Love the sig. :)

KRG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by KRG » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:24 pm

Sony network has been down for us for over a month. Only in the past week has it been saying, "Down for maintenance".
I have a butt and you do too. Let's be friends.

frostdillicus
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by frostdillicus » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:47 pm

I do have a PSN account, but I'm pretty sure the last time I used a credit card with it it was one that was tied to a bank account that no longer exists. Unfortunately, with the PSN being down, there is no way to check for sure.

I figured it was something this bad though. Keeping the PSN down for over a week during Easter Weekend with the release of Portal 2...not really a good business decision unless the other choice is letting your users CC information be stolen.

Well, time to change my PSN network password as soon as it comes back up!

MasterChef
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MasterChef » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:53 am

Not sure that I ever entered in my card info on my account either. If I did, it was with an old card that's not valid any more anyway. I never really used PSN anyway, so meh.

Bronze Fox
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Bronze Fox » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:12 am

No arrests have been made connected to the Playstation outage, Kotaku has confirmed, despite a story making the rounds that claims FBI and others have issues warrants and made arrests.

Speaking to the FBI this morning, Kotaku confirmed there have been no arrests in the U.S.

The story, which seemed to first pop up on website Gamesthirst, claims that the FBI are looking into the case, issues 40 arrest warrants for members of Anonymous in America and that some members of the hactivist group were already arrested in the UK.

The story bears a striking resemblance to a press release sent out by the FBI in January about their investigation into Anonymous, spurred by the group's distributed denial of service attacks on U.S. companies.

That release begins:

"FBI agents today executed more than 40 search warrants throughout the United States as part of an ongoing investigation into recent coordinated cyber attacks against major companies and organizations. Also today, the United Kingdom's Metropolitan Police Service executed additional search warrants and arrested five people for their alleged role in the attacks."

In that case, Anonymous publicly claimed responsibility for the attack. While Anonymous initially called for an attack on Sony, they've since said they were not responsible for the outage. Of course, the leaderless structure of the group could mean that an off-shoot of the group is responsible.

Checkm8
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Checkm8 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:36 am

Yeah, well bite me PS3 owners and your fancy graphics, multimedia junk, and "compromised" network. My nes emulator/super nintendo/N64/dreamcast/gamecube have yet to be hacked. If I played my xBox, I'd include that in there but I haven't touched that thing in awhile.

Bronze Fox
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Bronze Fox » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:33 am

Checkm8 wrote:Yeah, well bite me PS3 owners and your fancy graphics, multimedia junk, and "compromised" network. My nes emulator/super nintendo/N64/dreamcast/gamecube have yet to be hacked. If I played my xBox, I'd include that in there but I haven't touched that thing in awhile.
None of those consoles have any internet capabilities except for the GameCube,
and its' internet capabilities aren't even worth mentioning.
So the only way they could get hacked is if the hacker got physical contact with your system.

crimsonshootingstar
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by crimsonshootingstar » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:40 am

Bronze Fox wrote:
Checkm8 wrote:Yeah, well bite me PS3 owners and your fancy graphics, multimedia junk, and "compromised" network. My nes emulator/super nintendo/N64/dreamcast/gamecube have yet to be hacked. If I played my xBox, I'd include that in there but I haven't touched that thing in awhile.
So the only way they could get hacked is if the hacker got physical contact with your system.
They are after my super nintendo? Blasphemy. They try it and ill put 2 rounds in em. :twisted:

"A shooting star doesn't have a past. It burns like a flame and then is gone before your eyes. That's my kind of life."

--HaDeS--
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by --HaDeS-- » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:36 am

I had suspected that the system was hacked. A bunch of my friends have been telling me it was down for a while. Hopefully everybody finds out and is able to contact their credit card companies before it gets out of hand.
New York Rangers: Offseason

New York Giants: Offseason

The Warpath Cup 2011: Hades' Babies (2nd Place)
The Ville Cup '10: Hale's Angels (3rd Place)

KRG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by KRG » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:45 am

We love our PS3, best console we've ever owned and we own them all. lol

Blame the hackers for this, not Sony. When your identity is stolen from your home mailbox, you don't blame the Post Office. Sony is no more dirty than Bill Gates' wake or any other company.

These days, personal info like this and more, is stolen from department stores, restaurants, gas pumps, even the American government has it happen now and then. Your info is not entirely safe anywhere and no one will tell you immediately that it has been stolen.

This is the new age of bank robbery. Unfortunately for us, companies like this are not a members of FDIC. lol

Checkm8
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Checkm8 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:06 pm

Bronze Fox wrote:
It was a joke. :dance: :dance: :dance:

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:09 pm

Gonzo wrote:We love our PS3, best console we've ever owned and we own them all. lol

Blame the hackers for this, not Sony. When your identity is stolen from your home mailbox, you don't blame the Post Office. Sony is no more dirty than Bill Gates' wake or any other company.

These days, personal info like this and more, is stolen from department stores, restaurants, gas pumps, even the American government has it happen now and then. Your info is not entirely safe anywhere and no one will tell you immediately that it has been stolen.

This is the new age of bank robbery. Unfortunately for us, companies like this are not a members of FDIC. lol
I agree with you up to a point, but I would expect that a multi-billion dollar company who specializes in electronics would have slightly better security than department stores and gas pumps. Also, knowing that 70 million people's personal information was compromised and waiting a week before even acknowledging it is pretty bad PR. I mean it's bad news to start with, but every day they sat on it made it worse.

I have nothing against Sony. While I don't have a PS3, my PS2 has outlasted two GameCubes and two 360's and still runs like a champ going on ten years now, and some of the most beloved titles on my shelf belong to it. The fact is they screwed up here. All of the blame isn't theirs, but a sizable portion of it is.
Last edited by TheCarpe on Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

KRG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by KRG » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:12 pm

I don't know Carpe, I think Yoshi heads the security dept. :lol:

Oh wait. . that's nintendo. . .ok you're probably right. :lol:

<eVa> + Sarge +
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by <eVa> + Sarge + » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:24 pm

Sony now...Who's next? :?