Cpt. Winky
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Monday Night Combat free weekend and sale

Post by Cpt. Winky » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:58 am

After playing, I gotta say I think the assassin is kinda meh. I never played online so I could be wrong, but it seems like the Assault, Tank, and Support are definitely the needed team members.

:icon_heart: RIP TW 1954 - 2008

Last of The Finest
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Last of The Finest » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:15 am

Cpt. Winky wrote:After playing, I gotta say I think the assassin is kinda meh. I never played online so I could be wrong, but it seems like the Assault, Tank, and Support are definitely the needed team members.
Online is a totally different beast. They're hard to beat if you don't spot them fast. Their grapple can kill most classes in one shot, so you have to find a way to keep distance on something you can't always see.
Participant in Ville Cup '11, Villelympics '11, Warpath Cup '12, Ville Cup '14

Ixtab
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Ixtab » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:29 am

Free weekend!? Yay! Sale! Hopefully yay! This game is fun and stuff. Maybe I will play something other than Assassin if I can hop on this weekend.

Cpt. Winky
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt. Winky » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:37 am

Last of The Finest wrote:
Cpt. Winky wrote:After playing, I gotta say I think the assassin is kinda meh. I never played online so I could be wrong, but it seems like the Assault, Tank, and Support are definitely the needed team members.
Online is a totally different beast. They're hard to beat if you don't spot them fast. Their grapple can kill most classes in one shot, so you have to find a way to keep distance on something you can't always see.
My point is, aren't you trying to push into their base, not get a ton of kills? I can see this kinda like the spy from tf2. A great one can help a lot, but a mediocre to poor one hinders the team greatly because he cannot defend or push as well. Again, never played online but that was what I was getting at.

:icon_heart: RIP TW 1954 - 2008

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:51 am

Assassins have a few big jobs. They are the best at killing other players, can grapple and do huge damage to Jackbots (Snipers can do this too, but they're less commonly found in the fray), and a juiced one can decimate an entire bases turrets.

As was said, playing online is a completely different experience than just smashing bots all day.
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:08 am

Assassins will cause the most rage when you're a new player, since even mediocre assassins will kill you very easily and frequently. However, once you actually learn to play other classes, mediocre assassins become much less of a threat and more of a nuisance and increase to your kill count. Good assassins usually stay good though, and they become difficult opponents.
I am the 1%!

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:22 am

One of the biggest things about defending against Assassains is to listen; the cloak effect is very noisy when they get close. If you're paying attention (and this is why headphones are recommended for any game such as this), you can catch one just before they grapple you. If you can at least turn around before getting grapples (so it's a front grapple and not a backstab) you can significantly increase your survival chances.

Keep in mind, the Assassain's blade also helps a lot with lanes, only takes 3 swings to knock out a Blackjack, or even less if you press your Reload key and charge at them. Take this, endless blitz (Sudden Death), my record for Assassain is 86 waves, about 5 more than my Tank and 30 more than my Assault. Don't think you're restricted to pro hunting, they can do a lot more than they look like they can.

You know, it might just be the free weekend, but I gotta say I started playing tank last night and I haven't had a bad round yet. Every round, i've broken 5k earnings, had at least a mega streak (7 pro kills) and led the team. Several times I got all three scoreboard leader awards (kills, assists, and earnings, which translates to Team Leader, Team Player, and MVP respectivly). Had this one guy last night, who kept complaining when I kept ring-outing him with the charge, it was funny.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

Jesus_Faction
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Jesus_Faction » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:19 pm

Assassin is annoying at first but they only have a few tricks so once you learn them they don't present a problem

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:54 pm

Masakari wrote:Assassins will cause the most rage when you're a new player, since even mediocre assassins will kill you very easily and frequently. However, once you actually learn to play other classes, mediocre assassins become much less of a threat and more of a nuisance and increase to your kill count. Good assassins usually stay good though, and they become difficult opponents.
The class in whole is VERY misleading. What a lot of new players fail to realize is ganking is NOT where they shine. While a mediocre assassin can be very rage inducing to a new player, Assassin is the best class in game at killing bots. With melee, an assassin can run in and nearly instantly wipe out an entire wave of bots. This will give her about 1/5 of a juice bar. And with plenty of escape abilities can easily get away (newbie tip #532, pressing jump while doing your smoke bomb can make you jump very high). Secondly, her throwing stars can quickly make works of towers and even bounce around corners to get towers. Once juice is up, run into the enemy base and take out a tower or two.

Now you may not have a good kill to death ratio, but you will give your team such a huge advantage and will likely have twice the bot kills of anyone on your team. But come on, isn't it just way cooler to just one-hit backstab everyone, especially after the recent armor perk nerf?

*note: I also raged last night by being on a team with 5 assassins. They refused to listen to my tips and by the time OT hit they were all under 20 bot kills. So unless a team mate is yelling at you, please take advice as in most cases it is helpful and not because he hates you.

Bronze Fox
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Bronze Fox » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:32 pm

I'm sure I was playing against un-skilled people, but I was destroying the enemy team in Crossfire as Support.
Fully understanding the upgrading screen also helped. Then I went two matches with around 20 kills and only 2 deaths, was pretty fun.
Got a couple MVP related stuff the other times.

Just fully upgrade your turret skill ASAP, then hacking, and put it right close to the enemy's bot spawning area.
With the help of your teammates/shotgun it will stay up and get a lot of kills.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:04 am

Bronze Fox wrote:Just fully upgrade your turret skill ASAP, then hacking, and put it right close to the enemy's bot spawning area.
With the help of your teammates/shotgun it will stay up and get a lot of kills.
I've been practicing getting rid of these, one of the best ways I found is to hit a firebase with the Tank's grenade (to stun it) then get up close with the jetgun. Tanks generally have enough health to survive the shotgun long enough to break the firebase.

For you supports, it's a good idea to use the shotgun grapple on a tank who tries to do this, you'll reduce his oppetunity window and by the time you're finished with the grapple, the base will be back up and shooting.

Oh, and airstike beacons. Airstrikes can one shot any class, save for a juiced tank. If you can toss an airstrike before the grapple, all the more power to you.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:05 am

<--- best support player in MNC.

Fizbon666
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Post by Fizbon666 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:40 am

I've been playing this free weekend, and it seems fun, I'm worried that after the free weekend the servers will turn all Shattered Horizon on me if I buy the game though.
Been playing assassin. They rock at taking out turrets. The smoke bomb blinds them then you can get a level 1-2 rockit turret down to about 1/2 health. Also as Carpe pointed out, assassins rock the Jackbots.

Bronze Fox
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Bronze Fox » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:45 pm

Alright, played with some skilled people, the Firebase seems less OP. Not to say it doesn't have its' moments.
A fully upgrade turret in the right spot at the right time will destroy everyone however.

The one fatal flaw I see with this game is the server limit of 12. That will keep it from being a great Ville game in my opinion,
and even if they're mods that add more max players, I think it would break the game balance.

Mr. Sticks
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Mr. Sticks » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:18 pm

what I have also found is assassins work very well together in teams of two. When I play tank all it takes is one assassin to grapple me from behind or in front and the other waits patiently right next to men to come out of the first grapple and immediatly grapple again for the kill. I have only had this happen in one game but man it was annoying.
[img]http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo182/poisoncontrol91/VilleSignature.jpg[/img]