Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Anime Recomendations From an Old School Otaku

Post by TheCarpe » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:44 am

Leave it to Tungsten to find the important parts of a picture :D
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

BETTEH
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BETTEH » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:48 am

Tungsten wrote:
crimsonshootingstar wrote:For anyone who doesn't believe crimson has read all this junk here are my credentials.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Off topic, but Crimson do you have a couch at your computer?
and take the garbage out!
2004 DOD Ville Cup Champs - Hobo Strike Squad
Fanciful Unicorn! 2011 Warpath Cup + Villympics Champs.

crimsonshootingstar
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by crimsonshootingstar » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:19 am

My sister and her husband have my bedroom so I am camping out here next to the couch. As far as the garbage gos I had to work the late shift today and I am very tired so it can wait until i leave in the morning. Crimson has spoken.

"A shooting star doesn't have a past. It burns like a flame and then is gone before your eyes. That's my kind of life."

frostdillicus
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by frostdillicus » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:36 am

Bronze Fox wrote: So many points of interest to reply too...

I've heard bad things about Clannad, is it worth watching?

I guess it shouldn't be too shocking Japanese forget anime after they finish with it;
It's the same for us Americans and our shows isn't it?

K-on's first season was amazing, then the second season kind of sizzled out, I will admit.
However, the songs were pretty great.

I just finished the first season of When They Cry myself,
and I am sad to find out the season season hasn't been licensed.
Oh, and have you seen When the Seagulls Cry? (Umineko no Naku Koro ni)

And I must ask, why didn't you like Code Geass?
I respect your opinion, but I gotta know.
I've watched that anime three times through now... (Total of 150 episodes)
Clannad is an ok series. Clannad: After Story is a really really good series. But, as After Story would make no sense without watching the first season, you're kinda stuck with it. It's by no means bad, but the second season is the one that really tugs at your emotions.

I agree with your assessment on K-On. The first season actually focused on music, so it was really enjoyable. The second season focused on...absolutely nothing. Having to wait till around episode 20 of a show about a K-On club before you see an actual concert is pretty lame in my opinion.

Higurashi is one of my favorite series, if not my favorite series, ever. It is unfortunate that you have yet to see the second season, because it hands down tops the first season. The first season is necessary for the second season to be as good as it is though, so don't take my comment as a slight against the first season. I started watching When the Seakitties Mew (play on the Japanese Title. Umi = sea, Neko = cat), but honestly, it wasn't anywhere as good as Higurashi. Seeing Fredrika was cool and all, but not worth the pain of listening to Maria whine the entire series.

I think Code Geass hoestly just got too complex to make much sense in the end, and mind you I understand Darker than Black perfectly well. I think some of the plot "twists" that were supposed to be surprises were so obvious that they were boring when they happened. I don't mind predictable series, if I did I would probably not watch any current anime or TV for that matter, but when they are trying to be edgy and unpredictable and end up being neither I just get bored. Plus I don't feel there are any of the main characters in that show that have any redeeming qualities. I'm fine with having a bastard as a main character, as long as I feel I still have a reason to root for them. After a while, I just wanted the entire cast to die. Of course, a lot of them didn't and the people I wanted to live, died. Trying to remain as spoiler free as possible. :)

And Arais, I think you missed my post where I listed Kara no Kyoukai as one of my favorite movies, or rather shoudl I say series of movies. :)

Currently, I am showing 3 different shows to various people here. To one person, I am showing Darker than Black and Macross Frontier. To another I am showing Durarara!!. I'm really looking forward to seeing the second Macross Frontier movie in the theaters in February. Hopefully I'll be able to undrstand most of it by then. :)

Araris
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Post by Araris » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:16 am

frostdillicus wrote: And Araris, I think you missed my post where I listed Kara no Kyoukai as one of my favorite movies, or rather shoudl I say series of movies. :)
I did indeed, I didn't bother looking for it in anyone's list cause (outside of you) I've never met anyone who's heard of it. The soundtrack alone for the movie series is amazing, but if I had to pick a favorite it would be the 5th or 7th.

frostdillicus
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by frostdillicus » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:42 am

Hard choice between those two. I kinda want to watch them all in chronological order sometime.

The main reason I know of them is because I went through a phase where I was watching as many phychological/thriller/horror animes as I could find. It's how I found Higurashi, and Kara no Kyoukai. It was also how I ended up watching Chaos; Head which while interesting, wasn't all that good imo.

I wish there was more out there in this vein, but it seems under represented in Anime. It's a shame really, as you can do so much more interesting stuff in animation than in live action.

Bronze Fox
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Bronze Fox » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:43 pm

frostdillicus wrote:I started watching When the Seakitties Mew (play on the Japanese Title. Umi = sea, Neko = cat), but honestly, it wasn't anywhere as good as Higurashi. Seeing Fredrika was cool and all, but not worth the pain of listening to Maria whine the entire series.
Did you just watch the parody or the actual series?
As for Maria whining, the show always makes it by having her slapped.

Man, that sounded it wrong. If you watched the series you would agree with me, don't worry.

frostdillicus
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by frostdillicus » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:07 pm

I watched the actual series up until about episode 8ish. It was a severe let down compared to Higurashi.

And watching Maria get slapped around doesn't make her any less annoying when she whines for 5 minutes before someone finally slaps her. She is quite possibly the most annoying anime character ever.

Bronze Fox
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Bronze Fox » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:22 pm

frostdillicus wrote:I watched the actual series up until about episode 8ish. It was a severe let down compared to Higurashi.

And watching Maria get slapped around doesn't make her any less annoying when she whines for 5 minutes before someone finally slaps her. She is quite possibly the most annoying anime character ever.
Hm, yeah, When They Cry is a lot more physiological than Seagulls; so, saying you were looking for a physiological thriller, you would be let down.
I almost stopped watching it because of the fact that the "finale" was episode 5, and they were going to repeat over and over. (I watched Seagulls before Cicadas)
I guess I'm just not really picky about my anime, and kept watching it. I'm glad I didn't stop. The sheer gore was insane, I would say it was a lot bloodier than When They Cry, in fact.
I don't think anything really violent happens that earlier in the show, but most of the "good stuff" was censored. It would be great if Seagulls got licensed for U.S. distribution for the un-censored version.
Last edited by Bronze Fox on Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Buzzy Beetle
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Buzzy Beetle » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:28 pm

Have half an hour? Would you like to see something incredibly bizarre and surreal? It's not the happiest of shorts, but it's definitely something else. Do try your best to keep up with the plot because once it starts running it won't slow down and come back for you. It also tends to need more than one viewing to digest what just happened.

Optional: A primer on what you are about to watch is below.
VIEW CONTENT:
Without giving too much away:

Cat Soup is an award-winning animated short film directed by Tatsuo Sato. It is a story that follows an anthropomorphic kitten on his travel to recover half of his sister's soul. The rest is for you to figure out.
I proudly support Independent Developers, Local Businesses, and SNAILGOSH.

frostdillicus
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by frostdillicus » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:08 pm

Bronze Fox wrote:
frostdillicus wrote:I watched the actual series up until about episode 8ish. It was a severe let down compared to Higurashi.

Hm, yeah, When They Cry is a lot more physiological than Seagulls; so, saying you were looking for a physiological thriller, you would be let down.
I almost stopped watching it because of the fact that the "finale" was episode 5, and they were going to repeat over and over. (I watched Seagulls before Cicadas)
I guess I'm just not really picky about my anime, and kept watching it. I'm glad I didn't stop. The sheer gore was insane, I would say it was a lot bloodier than When They Cry, in fact.
I don't think anything really violent happens that earlier in the show, but most of the "good stuff" was censored. It would be great if Seagulls got licensed for U.S. distribution for the un-censored version.
Yep, there are only so many "locked room mysteries" I can watch before getting bored to death. Umineko was far more bloody, yes. However, gore does not make a show for me, hence why I was let down by Umineko.

Bronze Fox
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Bronze Fox » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:34 pm

frostdillicus wrote:Yep, there are only so many "locked room mysteries" I can watch before getting bored to death. Umineko was far more bloody, yes. However, gore does not make a show for me, hence why I was let down by Umineko.
You must agree, however, that that ending theme to Seagulls is amazing. >.>

frostdillicus
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by frostdillicus » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:01 am

I liked both the OP and ED of Umineko. Unfortunately, that is a trend for me too. I will love the music of the show, so I'll watch it and it turns out to be garbage. :)

Umineko had the potential to be really good given it's pedigree, however I don't know if they just failed horribly at making it into an anime, or they just didn't have the time necessary to do it.

crimsonshootingstar
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by crimsonshootingstar » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:41 am

Yes! More jpop fans.

"A shooting star doesn't have a past. It burns like a flame and then is gone before your eyes. That's my kind of life."

Bronze Fox
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Bronze Fox » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:06 pm

crimsonshootingstar wrote:Yes! More jpop fans.
I love Japanese music. I don't know if it's classified as lame, but I mainly listen to Vocaloid songs. >.>