DrunkenTrom
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Anime Recomendations From an Old School Otaku

Post by DrunkenTrom » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:16 am

crimsonshootingstar wrote:the second series came out in America actually Gunslinger Girl -Il Teatrino. I was referring to the original work the manga witch has 6 volumes in America. I keep seeing the 7th on sale on amazon in German. Just to taunt me. I looked it up on wiki while posting this apparently there are plans to continue putting it out in America. Now if someone would just carry Geobreeders beyond volume 5.

I never got into the manga but that's good info that it exists, thanks. As far as a second season of the anime being available here, I'm off to amazon right now to see if it's order-able. I hope it is because I haven't had any good anime to watch in a few years.

Bronze Fox
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Bronze Fox » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:18 am

crimsonshootingstar wrote:High School Of The Dead is drawn by a rather popular H artist. This is the second time I have run into a series drawn by an H artist. Fan service has gotten much stronger in recent years.
Don't get me wrong, fan service can be great; however, there is such a thing as too much.

If it wasn't for the fact that Idiots, Tests, and Summoned Beasts was hilarious,
I would have stopped watching because of the blatant fan service.

Also, the fact that you could watch it legally was nice.

DrunkenTrom
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by DrunkenTrom » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:20 am

DVD: $47.99, Blu-ray $20.99(http://www.amazon.com/Gunslinger-Girl-T ... 023&sr=8-1, just ordered. Thanks again Crimson!

trunicated
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by trunicated » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:24 am

Bronze Fox wrote:
crimsonshootingstar wrote:High School Of The Dead is drawn by a rather popular H artist. This is the second time I have run into a series drawn by an H artist. Fan service has gotten much stronger in recent years.
Don't get me wrong, fan service can be great; however, there is such a thing as too much.

If it wasn't for the fact that Idiots, Tests, and Summoned Beasts was hilarious,

About to watch the first episode and see if the hilarity lives up to your claims. Yay Hulu!
"If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards... Checkmate."

Bronze Fox
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Bronze Fox » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:28 am

trunicated wrote:
Bronze Fox wrote:Don't get me wrong, fan service can be great; however, there is such a thing as too much.

About to watch the first episode and see if the hilarity lives up to your claims. Yay Hulu!
"Almost... almost... almost..."

"Mutsurini!! Is there a doctor in the house?!"

trunicated
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by trunicated » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:38 am

Bronze Fox wrote:
trunicated wrote:
Bronze Fox wrote:Don't get me wrong, fan service can be great; however, there is such a thing as too much.

"Almost... almost... almost..."

"Mutsurini!! Is there a doctor in the house?!"
L....
L.....
Light blue......

Okay first episode has me intrigued. I'm gonna watch the second. Definitely better than that Baseball anime I tried to watch a few months ago... that was so long and drawn out that it made DBZ look clean and concise.
"If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards... Checkmate."

Soltan
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Soltan » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:08 pm

Gunslinger Girl is an amazing series as are Trigun and Code Geass.

Other suggestions:
Mahoromatic
Moon Phase
Ah! My Goddess
Death Note

trunicated
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by trunicated » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:34 pm

Soltan wrote:Gunslinger Girl is an amazing series as are Trigun and Code Geass.

Other suggestions:
Mahoromatic
Moon Phase
Ah! My Goddess
Death Note
I read Death Note manga up until that thing with L. I also watch the series up until that point. Then it got all weird and reminded me of Mission Impossible 2, where everyone just kept taking off a mask. Like, you couldn't trust anything you saw anymore, because not only was there something behind it, but there was something behind that, and then they would retcon something else in behind that...

I approve of Mahoromatic and Ah! My Goddess. Two fantastic series.

ketchuo
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by ketchuo » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:09 pm

Im surprised alot of people haven't mention Dragon Ball Z, I remember watching it when i was a kid and loving it.

DrunkenTrom
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by DrunkenTrom » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:00 pm

ketchuo wrote:Im surprised alot of people haven't mention Dragon Ball Z, I remember watching it when i was a kid and loving it.
I watched Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z when I was younger. I even had friends that were dedicated enough to go to Chicago and buy fan-subbed VHS copies of Dragon Ball GT when we were in high school. Honestly though looking back I can't believe I was into it at all. Besides Akira Toriyama's excellent character design, I can't believe I even liked it after the original series especially into the long drawn out soap opera style that was Dragon Ball Z(I'm not even going to mention the ridiculousness of GT especially since it was obviously a cash cow that only continued on after the original creators left for the sole purpose of making money). Dragon Ball as a series is one of those things that I used to like that I now can't fathom why. It's garbage, and probably was even when I was into it even though the fanboy in me is screaming and dying on the floor in response to me saying so. If I ever want to watch two characters powering up before a fight with no other story premise and have it last 4-5 episodes with no other filler, please someone shoot me in the face! In fact I wouldn't want anyone to burden themselves with that responsibility as I'd gladly swallow the business end of a shotgun myself if it ever came to that.

Soltan
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Soltan » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:07 pm

DrunkenTrom wrote:
ketchuo wrote:Im surprised alot of people haven't mention Dragon Ball Z, I remember watching it when i was a kid and loving it.
I watched Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z when I was younger. I even had friends that were dedicated enough to go to Chicago and buy fan-subbed VHS copies of Dragon Ball GT when we were in high school. Honestly though looking back I can't believe I was into it at all. Besides Akira Toriyama's excellent character design, I can't believe I even liked it after the original series especially into the long drawn out soap opera style that was Dragon Ball Z(I'm not even going to mention the ridiculousness of GT especially since it was obviously a cash cow that only continued on after the original creators left for the sole purpose of making money). Dragon Ball as a series is one of those things that I used to like that I now can't fathom why. It's garbage, and probably was even when I was into it even though the fanboy in me is screaming and dying on the floor in response to me saying so. If I ever want to watch two characters powering up before a fight with no other story premise and have it last 4-5 episodes with no other filler, please someone shoot me in the face! In fact I wouldn't want anyone to burden themselves with that responsibility as I'd gladly swallow the business end of a shotgun myself if it ever came to that.
I agree with DrunkenTrom. I couldn't even make it through a single episode much less get into the series.

trunicated
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by trunicated » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:14 pm

In middle school, DBZ was awesome. My buddy used to order copies of VHS subs from the internet, and we'd all go over to his house and watch as many episodes as we could. This made the 4 episodes of powering up the final attack bearable, because everything was in quick succession.

But as cool as DBZ was, the original DragonBall was amazingly funny, and a lot more to the point. I really enjoyed it.

Tungsten
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Tungsten » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:37 pm

My suggestions:
-Azumanga Daioh
-Samurai Pizza Cats (you heard me)
-Lucky Star
-Gundam 08th MS Team
-Paranoia Agent

Also, Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star, but everyone watched those already, right?

trunicated
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by trunicated » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:15 pm

Bronze Fox wrote: If it wasn't for the fact that Idiots, Tests, and Summoned Beasts was hilarious,
This show is hilarious. Also, it's not *that* fan servicey. It has its moments, but I've seen worse.

Soltan
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Soltan » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:18 pm

It's definitely a good show and nicely available on Hulu.

I'm currently watching Clannad After Story. It's the first anime that actually made me cry.