Calling all martial artists! (or fans of)

If your post doesn't fit any other boards subject, then post it here
Mal.TVR
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Calling all martial artists! (or fans of)

Post by Mal.TVR » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:44 pm

Hey all, thought I'd start a thread pertaining to martial arts, either MMA, Judo, Jiu Jitsu, anything!

I want to know if anyone is taking part in a martial art. Which one? How long you been in it?

Maybe you're just a fan of MMA, you want to comment on Brock Lesner's beatdown from UFC 121? Or how you're 100% sure that the women who fight in Bellator can totally woop you in under 30 seconds!

I'll start. So, I'm Ryan, aka Mal, and since September I've joined a club here in town and I'm currently taking Russian Sambo (grappling) classes as well as Muay Thai Kickboxing. The kickboxing is coming along well, I get more practice in as I can shadow box at home, and work on my technique, but my grappling is lacking since I'm not as flexible as I'd like to be.

I did get my first submission by armbar last week while sparring, which was a lot of fun, but tonight I decided to grapple with a black belt in judo (didn't know he was a blackbelt at the time) and pushed myself so hard that I almost puked. Yay me!

Now in all reality, I'm not sure what the fun is pushing myself so hard is, or getting kicked around, but I do it and I enjoy it.

Alright, stopping for now, much more to say, but I'll save it for later.
It's a long hard road coming to recover from World of Warcrack, but I hope you'll help me bare the load while I travel that road.

BETTEH
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Calling all martial artists! (or fans of)

Post by BETTEH » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:23 pm

While it was a while ago I did Taekwando for several years. I participated in far too many tournaments to count but I won out first place in sparring, breaking, and second in form for my age group in US East Open in 1994 (10 years old), I went to the Junior Olympics later that year and didn't do nearly as well haha. I ended up focusing more on jujitsu afterward on my masters request. I loved to fight and compete, however i never did it with malice and always kept my head which is probably why I was able to last so long despite having several matches where I was punched in the face (you can do many things in a taekwando match but the face is a no-no).

I stopped all of that when I moved to Florida and started playing other sports, but it sounds like you are having a hell of a fun time. As long as you enjoy it I say keep doing it to your hearts content, and since you're taking such a in your face style of fighting don't get your ear bitten off ;)
2004 DOD Ville Cup Champs - Hobo Strike Squad
Fanciful Unicorn! 2011 Warpath Cup + Villympics Champs.

jim beam
TVR Leadership
TVR Leadership

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by jim beam » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:06 pm

I also did taekwando several years of my youth but theni decided to do competition swiming and baseball instead. I also did wrestling for 2 years in high school til the coach said decide between FFA and wrestling and I pick FFA since i was making money and had girls to look at during competition instead of guys.

Mal I was soooo happy that brock got beat down. It was actually a really good card except for 2 fights that were a little slow.
Founder and Overlord of the IBG nation

John Doe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by John Doe » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:59 pm

JD started Karate late in his life, when he was 38.

He enjoyed it until Feb 2007 when he had medical issues that caused him to take a break.

Mr. Doe has wanted to get back to karate but ongoing medical issues have made the return difficult, but he still hopes to get back to the Dojo.

Mr. Doe participated in Uechi Ryu Karate.

Mr. Doe does often speak of himself in the third person and he isnt quite sure why....

Elmer J. Fudd
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Elmer J. Fudd » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:34 pm

I have taken karate for about 10 years in total in three different styles, i have recently come back to martial arts and am training in kung-fu. I have my brown belt in shito ryu, shorin ryu and goju ryu.

Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dog » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:16 pm

I did Wado Ryu for 10 years and reached 2nd kyu. Lots of katas! But gave it up once I started working!
Fought in many, many competitions!
:D

Dirty Dan
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dirty Dan » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:24 am

I'm a red belt w/ a black stripe in Tae Kwon Do, loved it, just didnt have time to continue in college, but I intend to finish my black belt.

CastleDoctrine
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by CastleDoctrine » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:19 pm

I have no formal martial arts training. My father taught me some boxing and CQC from when he was a paratrooper and later a police officer, that's about it. Is marksmanship a martial art?

I've always been interested in studying Judo but I don't want to get the stereotypical suburban martial arts experience: