BETTEH
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Question for you military folks

Post by BETTEH » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:41 pm

Well, i have taken a very long and hard look at my options. My goal in life is become a Doctor, more specifically a trauma surgeon. Now with the way student loans are going, and looking at various options this seems to be the most appealing. There is a Naval Base 15 minutes from my house, as i am to understand ill get decent pay, 20k sign on bonus, and the whole shabang paid for, so i wont have to worry about student loans, or pretty much not a whole lot for that matter, and in the end i'll be 32/33? And be a resident, with another 30 years ahead of me. It seems like a staggering decision to be made, but with so many benefits it seems like the best route to go, no? I wanted some opinions, if theres any of you at all familiar with my situation, i mean, im sitting on the fence, but im starting to fall over.
2004 DOD Ville Cup Champs - Hobo Strike Squad
Fanciful Unicorn! 2011 Warpath Cup + Villympics Champs.

Fletch
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Question for you military folks

Post by Fletch » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:33 pm

Im not exactly sure what you are looking for in the question. If you are looking to be an officer you are going to have to have a 4 year degree to begin with. If you are going enlisted I would assume in the medical field you will become a corman. If that is the case you will see combat and I would not wish that on anyone so... If your joining the Military for the benefits they offer then I say no. If you are joining because you feel you owe your country a debt for the freedoms and liberties we all take for granted then by all means.

Semper Fi

Red Seal
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Red Seal » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:41 pm

the one thing i can tell u and i have 18 yrs in is that every thing changes. i enrolled in an IT school and have failed to complete it because of a few deployments, yes the military will pay for schooling but its the time and and deployments that will keep you from getting done with school when you want to, there are alot of things to consider, im army but what i understand from navy people is there is alot of time at sea, you may want to weigh the options out several time before a commitment to anything

Clay Pigeon
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Clay Pigeon » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:56 pm

Just go to med school and pay it off the old fashioned way: work for a hospital until your loans are paid off.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power tyrants and dictators cannot stand." - The prophet G'Kar

Rigges
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Rigges » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:27 pm

Umm yea what they said were do yo stand for Schooling????
Yes I am the one who Shot the Smiley Face Target for the Lethal Weapon Movie
RIP Winnie White Sister In-law 1952 - April 22 2010 58
Norma L. White Mother 20 Dec 1930 to 27 Aug 2011 81

Lucille C. Brueshaber Mother In Law 11 July 1922 to 13 Dec 2011 89
Mrs Rigges is very sad

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:23 am

what do you do right now? i know you are in medicine...but how much school do you have and what is your job now
CG6505 CPT Nelson LCDR Wischmeier AST1 Skimin AMT2 Nichols-4SEP08
CG1705 LCDR Barnes LT Bryant AMTC Seidman AET2 Grigonis AET2 Beacham AMT2 Moletzsky AMT3 Kreder-29OCT09
CG6017 LT Krueger AMT1 Hoke AMT2 Banks-07JUL10
CG6535 LCDR Taylor LTjg Cameron ASTC Jorge AET3 Knight-29FEB12
WPB87340-2 BMC Terrell Horne-2Dec12
WMSL751 BM3 Obendorf-18DEC13

dredfox
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by dredfox » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:45 am

I have heard that U.S. Navy doctors are the best in the world. One saved my grandfather's life after he was in a horrific motorcycle accident. My grandfather literally owes his skin to that doctor's skill.

That being said, I wouldn't wish the horrors of battlefield medicine on any doctor.

mr_s
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by mr_s » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:36 am

I am going to steer away from everyone and tell you to follow your heart.

but if i had to put my finger on it, i would stick with Clay's advice

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:38 am

btw irt these responses he isnt talking about normal joining, there is a direct commision program that will pay for school (if you meet the criteria of credits) that will send you to med school and you are then obligated a certian amount of service...so its not a normal enlistment or commision
CG1705 LCDR Barnes LT Bryant AMTC Seidman AET2 Grigonis AET2 Beacham AMT2 Moletzsky AMT3 Kreder-29OCT09

BETTEH
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BETTEH » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:21 am

[quote="Cpt._Keyes";p="155503"]btw irt these responses he isnt talking about normal joining, there is a direct commision program that will pay for school (if you meet the criteria of credits) that will send you to med school and you are then obligated a certian amount of service...so its not a normal enlistment or commision[/quote]

Yes, they are accepting applications again for the 2010 year, i am also motivated by the fact i work with around 30 doctorsish, two thirds of them came out of the Navy / Naval programs, and are the best we have. Kind of says alot for what they do for you, and the way you treat your patients. There is also Naval Reserve which is another option to go for. 200,000$ in student loans doesnt seem like a fun idea. Right now i have my A.S. and going into my third year of college, was en route for a career in CRNA but really, i was aiming low because i didn't want to have the large sums of money hanging over my head, but i know i can do it, it's what i want to do, so no point in holding my self back. I am simply looking for various options in which to accomplish this. I would not mind being sent around the world, or even being put into a position where i would be close to / in combat. When my goal in the end is to help people, it doesn't seem to matter to me in which method it occurs.
2004 DOD Ville Cup Champs - Hobo Strike Squad
Fanciful Unicorn! 2011 Warpath Cup + Villympics Champs.

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:34 am

[quote="BETTEH CROCKHURR";p="155537"][quote="Cpt._Keyes";p="155503"]btw irt these responses he isnt talking about normal joining, there is a direct commision program that will pay for school (if you meet the criteria of credits) that will send you to med school and you are then obligated a certian amount of service...so its not a normal enlistment or commision[/quote]

Yes, they are accepting applications again for the 2010 year, i am also motivated by the fact i work with around 30 doctorsish, two thirds of them came out of the Navy / Naval programs, and are the best we have. Kind of says alot for what they do for you, and the way you treat your patients. There is also Naval Reserve which is another option to go for. 200,000$ in student loans doesnt seem like a fun idea. Right now i have my A.S. and going into my third year of college, was en route for a career in CRNA but really, i was aiming low because i didn't want to have the large sums of money hanging over my head, but i know i can do it, it's what i want to do, so no point in holding my self back. I am simply looking for various options in which to accomplish this. I would not mind being sent around the world, or even being put into a position where i would be close to / in combat. When my goal in the end is to help people, it doesn't seem to matter to me in which method it occurs.[/quote]

if you go in with that program the chances of you being around any sort of combat are <0 infact you will probably be put in DC once you become a doctor (since you need to go through all your normal doctor training...) in fact the fact that you are in the miltary will be completely transparent due to the fact that nothing will be different...except you have a fancy uniform in your closet that you sometimes wear...and your patients dont pay bills

I would do reserve after you have become a doctor...that way you can reserve at a navy hospital ($$) and have your own practice at the same time ($$$$)

so in conclusion: do it

just be sure that how you and I interpret the program is correct (they pay for your full school, then you are obligated time in service) ((damned if i can remember the name))

Squirrel
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Squirrel » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:07 pm

Sounds like a good deal to me. I’ve worked for the military for 28 years now, so it can’t be to bad. :)

Cujo
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cujo » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:58 pm

Well... I am a surgeon
I went 4 years under grad for pre-med on the human side, then changed to animal.
I have some colleagues that went the military rout. My only concern is , that they started med school much later then the rest of us. I agree with Seal, you make a commitment like that, and they tell you when and where. (I know this cuz I'm a Navy brat)
First I have to ask what kind of education do you have now? Have you looked at med schools ?
Well too much to put in one post , but plz feel free to ask me anything, PM (hell I'll give you my number) ;)
I'm ALWAYS willing to help another person out in this field, cuz I know how hard it is.
So like I said hit me up any time, and I will try and help out in any way
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/Cujo_/userbar359213av7.gif[/img]

[i]Proud member of the[b][size=150][/i][color=red]=U[/color][color=white]S-[/color][color=red]V= [/color][/b] [/size]

M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by M's » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:43 pm

In the end it is really up to you. I spent 18 yrs in the Army and retired on a medical.

But remember the decission you make will fall upon your shoulders in the end. IMHO I say do it and get paid for it. But thats me

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:10 pm

As said this is completely different then what all the other military on this site have been through...this isnt enlisting or anything...you join...and they put you through school (i.e. you have no other job then going to a med school (i dont know if its your choice or not though)) no sea duty, no combat time, nothing military at all other than once you graduate you will be obligated service time as a doctor...probably at one of the big military hospitals (of which there ar only a few) if you qualify...you should do it