Gizanked
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Coldplay copied Joe Satrianai?

Post by Gizanked » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:44 am

So Joe Satriani is sueing coldplay for plagarism. Claiming that their title track from the album " Viva la Vida" sounds too similar to Satriani's "If I could fly" to be an accident. At least part of it anyways... lets post some videos and let people compare.

Coldplay- Viva La Vida( anout 1:10 in)
[video width=425 height=344]http://www.youtube.com/v/dvgZkm1xWPE&hl=en&fs=1[/video]

Joe Satriani- If I could fly. ( :50 into the song is the reference to check)
[video width=425 height=344]http://www.youtube.com/v/CMcjXo8ZuqE&hl=en&fs=1[/video]

whatcha think?
http://www.tf2items.com/id/evagizanked
the artist formerly known as Replica

YevGenie
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by YevGenie » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:21 am

Nope....while it is similar, it is not egrigiously so.

sgt stutter
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: Coldplay copied Joe Satrianai?

Post by sgt stutter » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:45 am

There are some similarities, not sure what he would be concerned about even if it is copied it’s only a few licks and not close to being as good as Satriani’s “If I could fly”

Coldplay’s got nothing on Satriani; even if they did copy him he's just too good and he shouldn't worry and needs to take it as a compliment, even if it is from Coldplay. Maybe that’s why he’s upset because it is Coldplay and not someone decent.

:D
RIP-Trigger
RIP-Blue
RIP-Stevo

Bakuryu
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Post by Bakuryu » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:03 am

It's flattering when a musician has his music recognized and sampled. It's plagiarism when he has it ripped. Coldplay definitely ripped that, and from the sound of it, without permission. I mean, similar would be a lick or something, but that whole Coldplay song repeats the same melody and what makes it truly insulting, is that Satriani's guitar is replaced by that arrogant joke Chris Martin's voice.

Let me explain something here. The song Satriani wrote was a tribute to his wife, and Coldplay ripped it without permission. It would be like using "Jessica" from the Allman Brothers or "Tears in Heaven" by Eric Clapton to make a pop song. Even as an amateur musician, I am disgusted by that sort of plagiarism. If they asked him, then there wouldn't be a problem, but you don't rip so much of a song like that without permission and go unpunished. Musicians draw influence from each other, and they will tell you who influenced them, but they don't sample anything without asking whoever has the rights to the music. When they do, they get slammed hard because of their disrespect, deservedly so. I hope Satriani wins his case against them.
I will find you...and I will kill you

Pain in the @&^% TF'er since 2000.

shimmybot
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by shimmybot » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:23 am

yeah, im gonna have to agree with bak, it sounds the same to me, just and octave higher :S

MasterChef
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MasterChef » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:09 am

Sounds very close to me.

Thom Yorke Obliterator
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Post by Thom Yorke Obliterator » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:46 am

I'll give Coldplay the benefit of the doubt on this one.

There's so much music in the world that it's practically impossible to write a melody that doesn't sound like something else. Think about it - when you write a song, you can't go back and listen to every song ever written to make sure your song is completely unique.
"After completing a trek of Kilimanjaro in 2009, Ronan Keating was asked by an interviewer which celebrity he would most like to throw off a mountain. Keating named Yorke, and referred to him as a "muppet," stating that Yorke was once rude to him." - from Wikipedia

Bakuryu
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Post by Bakuryu » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:01 am

But the problem is, the melody is nearly identical. The difference is Chris Martin's voice takes the place of Satriani's guitar. I agree a lot of music sounds similar, but people discuss influences, get permission, pay tribute, and so on all the time. This seems like a pretty tidy rip though, and I doubt Coldplay would list Satriani as an influential artist (especially not with all that piano). Anyway, it's for the courts to decide, not us, sorry for getting so heated about this but music is a big part of my life :)
I will find you...and I will kill you

Pain in the @&^% TF'er since 2000.

<eVa> + Sarge +
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by <eVa> + Sarge + » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:05 am

Yes, it's the same. But sometimes it can be purley accidental. Not saying it is. But case in point, Pantera "lifting" from Helmet's song Unsung. I believe Phil apologized to Helmet for his mistake.

And whatever happened to The Red Hot Chili Peppers copying Tom Petty. That was a total rip-off down to the song context.

Plus, Oasis openly admitted to "restructuring" Beatles songs.

I don't know...if your going to share a song, share the profits.

Thom Yorke Obliterator
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Post by Thom Yorke Obliterator » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:28 am

Sometimes things stick in your head and you don't even realize it. The Satriani song has a catchy melody.

Maybe Chris Martin was shopping at IKEA and that song was playing in the background. Because you just know he shops at IKEA. So while he's all like, "Hey Gwyneth, what do you think of this Leksvik?", subliminally the Satriani song is embedding itself in his head. Later, it pops out while he's sitting at the piano having some lingonberries.

Someday I'm gonna change my name to "Chris Martin Annihilator". Just sayin'...
"After completing a trek of Kilimanjaro in 2009, Ronan Keating was asked by an interviewer which celebrity he would most like to throw off a mountain. Keating named Yorke, and referred to him as a "muppet," stating that Yorke was once rude to him." - from Wikipedia

KRG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by KRG » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:46 am

I'm a huge fan of da Satch, one of my idols.

There are certainly a couple bars that are pretty spot on. But you are allowed a certain amount. I'm going to say, maybe not outright copyright infringement but worthy of closer inspection.
I have a butt and you do too. Let's be friends.

v.o.c
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by v.o.c » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:41 am

im not a fan of either artist, but both are good songs. like as been said, there are only so many melodies in the world and they're gonna clash at times. same with lyrics there are only so many ways to say i love you yet there are 100's of songs that do.

if they stole the coimplete song and copied it then yes sue, but for a few cords who cares.
Hey you Would'nt you like to be a vicious orange carrot too?

STEAM a Bi Product of tea.

Cujo
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cujo » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:26 am

I can hear what your saying...but I heard worse
Like the new Metallica song.."The day that never comes".. Tell me you don't hear Big city nights in the guitar at the start !!!

Goto :58 sec

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIRkSFpSBuc

Now goto 1:17
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ5zXXUJsyc
Now thats dead on !!!
(sorry I don't know how to do the video thing...I tried :( )
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/Cujo_/userbar359213av7.gif[/img]

[i]Proud member of the[b][size=150][/i][color=red]=U[/color][color=white]S-[/color][color=red]V= [/color][/b] [/size]

Stevo
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun
Minecraft name: StevoTVR
Uplay name: StevoTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Stevo » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:13 pm

Stupid Coldplay... it better not be intentional :evil:

<eVa> + Sarge +
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by <eVa> + Sarge + » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:23 pm

[quote="Cujo";p="139205"]I can hear what your saying...but I heard worse
Like the new Metallica song.."The day that never comes".. Tell me you don't hear Big city nights in the guitar at the start !!!

Goto :58 sec

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIRkSFpSBuc

Now goto 1:17
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ5zXXUJsyc
Now thats dead on !!!
(sorry I don't know how to do the video thing...I tried :( )[/quote]

Cujo thats cuttin hairs on that one. I'm a huge fan of both bands, but even after listening to it, it's not that close. It's in the same key so it brings it in even more. Your naughty. Cheeky Monkey.