If your post doesn't fit any other boards subject, then post it here
BETTEH
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BETTEH » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:28 pm

Thanks for your replies, i will be visiting the Airforce and Naval recruiters for more information, i have not made a definitive choice yet, as i am also looking into a multitude of med schools.

Again, thanks for all of your input.
2004 DOD Ville Cup Champs - Hobo Strike Squad
Fanciful Unicorn! 2011 Warpath Cup + Villympics Champs.

Richter
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Question for you military folks

Post by Richter » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:35 pm

Like many others here, I spent most of my adult life in the service (Air Force). Here is what I can tell you for sure, unless you go ROTC or to one of the Service Academies, they will not pay to send you to school until after your term of service have expired. Once you have served, you will get your GI bill and this will pay for your education. You will have 10 years in which to use that money.

Good Part - You get that money to pay for your education.
Bad Part - The money is for education costs only not for cost of living expenses. So picking a cheaper school thinking you'll get that money in $$ for not using all of it is a myth.

Good Part - You will have learned a good trade in the service and most likely have some of the best experiences of your life.
Bad Part - You are now dependent of a full time paycheck and going to school full time is almost impossible. Not out of the question, but very difficult especially if you started a family while in the service.

My suggestion is go to school first. Get your education. If that is not an option, talk to them about ROTC. They will pay for your education and you'll have military obligations at the same time. You'll be required to fulfill the term of service like any other enlisted person. If you do not, you will have to pay them back for the education.

They key is ask them every single question you can think of. Do not be afraid to ask any questions. Get things in writing.

And Remember this: You can sign anything but you are not committed to service until you that the oath.
[img]http://www.tf2dev.com/tf2_gen.php?id=756[/img]

[img]http://theville.hlstatsx.com/hlstats.php/sig/1923_random.png[/img]

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Question for you military folks

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:38 pm

[quote="Richter";p="155806"]Like many others here, I spent most of my adult life in the service (Air Force). Here is what I can tell you for sure, unless you go ROTC or to one of the Service Academies, they will not pay to send you to school until after your term of service have expired. Once you have served, you will get your GI bill and this will pay for your education. You will have 10 years in which to use that money.

Good Part - You get that money to pay for your education.
Bad Part - The money is for education costs only not for cost of living expenses. So picking a cheaper school thinking you'll get that money in $$ for not using all of it is a myth.

Good Part - You will have learned a good trade in the service and most likely have some of the best experiences of your life.
Bad Part - You are now dependent of a full time paycheck and going to school full time is almost impossible. Not out of the question, but very difficult especially if you started a family while in the service.

My suggestion is go to school first. Get your education. If that is not an option, talk to them about ROTC. They will pay for your education and you'll have military obligations at the same time. You'll be required to fulfill the term of service like any other enlisted person. If you do not, you will have to pay them back for the education.

They key is ask them every single question you can think of. Do not be afraid to ask any questions. Get things in writing.

And Remember this: You can sign anything but you are not committed to service until you that the oath.[/quote]

GI bill has changed drastically and there are programs that do pay for school even without ROTC or service academies
CG6505 CPT Nelson LCDR Wischmeier AST1 Skimin AMT2 Nichols-4SEP08
CG1705 LCDR Barnes LT Bryant AMTC Seidman AET2 Grigonis AET2 Beacham AMT2 Moletzsky AMT3 Kreder-29OCT09
CG6017 LT Krueger AMT1 Hoke AMT2 Banks-07JUL10
CG6535 LCDR Taylor LTjg Cameron ASTC Jorge AET3 Knight-29FEB12
WPB87340-2 BMC Terrell Horne-2Dec12
WMSL751 BM3 Obendorf-18DEC13

BETTEH
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BETTEH » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:59 am

As it is right now I applied for several premed schools in the vicinity of myself. Im going to take out a nice loan to pay for premed and do my four years. Depending on my MCAT and GPA will really determine what i do. If i can get some scholarships and grants then doing it the hard way wont be so much of an issue. Keyes found a neat little program that wouldn't require me to do anything in the Navy until i graduated med school, in which case i would work for them until the time was paid back. I have 4 years to get things straight, and for the economy to straighten out so i can get a decent shot at a loan. Thanks for your help guys.
2004 DOD Ville Cup Champs - Hobo Strike Squad
Fanciful Unicorn! 2011 Warpath Cup + Villympics Champs.