L4D first impressions?

Join TheVille's best fun-loving zombie experts as they reduce the number of infected!
fruitman
Villun
Villun
Loading…

L4D first impressions?

Post by fruitman » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:24 pm

I think it's great and I've had a blast playing it. (I've already put in 7 hours) Versus is especially fun, the infected are great. I dont know if it will have the staying power of tf2.

What do you think?

TTHREAZ
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: L4D first impressions?

Post by TTHREAZ » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:26 pm

I only played a quick hour of it last night in single player before bed and it was pretty cool. I only played the No Mercy campaign but it had some really cool parts. I especially liked the standoff on the roof while waiting for the chopper.

When my connection is better I'll try some Versus.

Bakuryu
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Post by Bakuryu » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:31 pm

I've only played through the demo, but I was wondering if it's worth buying. The teamplay in the demo is good, but single player is sort of...well sort. Also, I heard there were only 4 scenarios, which seems extremely short for a game of its caliber. I can't imagine putting more than 45 minutes in per scenario, and even then, that's a total of 3 hours of solo gameplay and then the rest is co-op online. Worth buying now or should I wait for the price to drop?
I will find you...and I will kill you

Pain in the @&^% TF'er since 2000.

Infusions
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Infusions » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:42 pm

I think it's great with friends. Sometimes even random people too can be fun, I've seen them laugh at a lot of stuff you do when helping out the team as Zombies. Playing as the Infected is a fun experience.

But still, fifty dollars.

Aagghhh.
[url=http://lolschach.blogspot.com/][img]http://g.imagehost.org/0572/LOL_6.png[/img][/url]

Rits
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Rits » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:04 pm

It was pretty expensive....I was lucky I saved a gift card so I didn't have to buy it. I'd be afraid to wait though, because the hype probably will go down for the campaign mode. But, I have a feeling the versus will last longer, especially if they update it.

itchy
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by itchy » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:14 pm

[quote="Rits";p="134707"]It was pretty expensive....I was lucky I saved a gift card so I didn't have to buy it. I'd be afraid to wait though, because the hype probably will go down for the campaign mode. But, I have a feeling the versus will last longer, especially if they update it.[/quote]

Yeah, mo-nay is the reason I'm having to wait a bit to get it.

I could see it going either way, as far as popularity/longevity. Had you asked me when TF2 was first coming out if it would kill Counter-Strike: Source, I'd have said "no," but it kind of did - they haven't released anything substantial for CS:S in a long time. Valve's only so large, so they can't constantly be substantially updating 3+ games at once. I suspect that L4D will occupy people's attention at least for a few months. When the next TF2 class update comes, though... who knows?
[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3566/3304587268_69e66ce816_o.png[/img]
[size=67][url=http://www.theville.org/viewtopic.php?t=11702]I've been found out![/url][/size]

Shifty
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Shifty » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:20 pm

I was wondering about the cost as well. I loved the game, had a blast playing with other villuns, but two things concern me:

A) It costs 50 bucks. I payed less than that for the orange box and have put some hundreds upon hundreds of hours into it. Are Valve cranking up the price of this "short" game to recoup loses? What gives...

B) If the demo is considered to be one of the 4 scenarios, count me out. I had a blast playing it, went through it atleast a dozen times. But I am now bored of it. And if the other 3 scenarios will only give me another 15 or so hours of gameplay, it's too much money.

Someone tell me that the demo was NOT one of the 4 scenario/missions.

itchy
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by itchy » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:26 pm

[quote="Shifty";p="134715"]Someone tell me that the demo was NOT one of the 4 scenario/missions.[/quote]

The demo was 2/5 of one campaign. Each campaign is 5 "maps" long, and the demo was the first two maps of one of the campaigns. So, in total, the demo's about 1/10 of what you'll be getting - but keep in mind that means that each campaign is going to be overall 2.5 times as long as the demo, and thus significantly more difficult to get through. Considering 10-15 hour single-player games cost $10 more, it seems worth it.
[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3566/3304587268_69e66ce816_o.png[/img]
[size=67][url=http://www.theville.org/viewtopic.php?t=11702]I've been found out![/url][/size]

Shifty
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Shifty » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:26 am

[quote="itchy";p="134718"]The demo was 2/5 of one campaign. Each campaign is 5 "maps" long, and the demo was the first two maps of one of the campaigns. So, in total, the demo's about 1/10 of what you'll be getting - but keep in mind that means that each campaign is going to be overall 2.5 times as long as the demo, and thus significantly more difficult to get through. Considering 10-15 hour single-player games cost $10 more, it seems worth it.[/quote]

This news pleases me.

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:37 am

So, it looks like I'm probably the only one here who thinks this game is a steal for fifty dollars.....

Honestly, it's probably gonna take a lot for me to get sick of this game. Considering the game plays out differently every time, it's pretty much a horror movie everytime you play it.
I am the 1%!

Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dog » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:28 am

Well I have it, enjoy it but think it's not community oriented.

When you create a lobby it takes you everywhere but TheVille's L4D servers. That pisses me off...

Nick Mame
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Nick Mame » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:37 am

Only played through No Mercy and Death Toll so far.

Death Toll is a really boring map for me. It feels like some TF2 customs: big and bland. I don't remember much about it other than the church bell. But No Mercy was great. I loved the top level of the hospital and the escape sequence was terrific.

It's a bit harder than the demo. Went through on advanced for the first play-through, one death on No Mercy right as we escaped (he bought the rest of us time!) and no knockdowns except for accidental friendly fire. Still looks like expert is the only way to play.

And it's friend oriented. Great for people like me who have long-lost friends refusing to dabble into TF2; not so great for people looking for servers with familiar faces.
Interested in custom maps? Join the [url=http://steamcommunity.com/groups/tvii][u]TV2 Seeding Group[/u][/url]!

Tarrock
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Tarrock » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:47 am

[quote="itchy";p="134718"][quote="Shifty";p="134715"]Someone tell me that the demo was NOT one of the 4 scenario/missions.[/quote]

The demo was 2/5 of one campaign. Each campaign is 5 "maps" long, and the demo was the first two maps of one of the campaigns. So, in total, the demo's about 1/10 of what you'll be getting - but keep in mind that means that each campaign is going to be overall 2.5 times as long as the demo, and thus significantly more difficult to get through. Considering 10-15 hour single-player games cost $10 more, it seems worth it.[/quote]

Actually the demo was 1.5/5. The subway level got cut off half way. Value said they're planning on adding new campaigns and new zombies to the game for content. Really though, they could of easily of gotten $50 for tf2. The orange box was like a $200 value.
[img]http://i509.photobucket.com/albums/s335/TopHatDesign/demoteam3Tarrock.png[/img]

Flobee
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flobee » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:16 am

People are complaining about the $50 pricetag.

Try an $80 pricetag with Australian dollars. ;__;
where doing this man.
where MAKING THIS HAPEN.

JohnCarterofMars
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun

Ville Awards

Post by JohnCarterofMars » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:58 am

i think its CRAP. a waste of money, don't buy it if you haven't already. Anyone who likes Halflife style gaming will be sorely disappointed in this console game.