[L4D] Tips and Tricks

Join TheVille's best fun-loving zombie experts as they reduce the number of infected!
Infusions
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

[L4D] Tips and Tricks

Post by Infusions » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:04 am

So far, based on playing, are there any gameplay tips you would give out? To beginner and intermediate players?

Tips such as the person in front crouching so people behind can shoot.

Some things I've tried that seem to work well is when a horde goes after one person to stand back and shoot the horde from a slight distance rather than running up and pushing them all back. If you run up, there's a good chance you'll be greatly injured or knocked down from the zombies, or even that your own teammate will accidentally incapcitate you trying to fight off the horde.

Staying on high areas or in hallway-like places as a team usually proves to be more successful than out in an open area. In closed areas, it's much easier to watch in front and behind you and shoot large groups heading straight for you, since you only have to shoot foward rather than all over the place.

Staying on high places is safer since you're able to actually see and stop the zombies who are climbing on the place you're standing before they can reach you, and you can do a great deal of damage from a high area. An example of an area like this would be ontop of the subway cars.

Also, if a boomer throws up on someone or you and you have a pipe bomb, use it! This will cause the entire horde to avoid you and go straight for the bomb. You might want to use a molotov if your team is in bad shape, but pipe bombs are far more effective since the horde will stop attacking you.

For vomit-covered teammates however, I haven't found which strategy is more useful. Sticking a teammate in the back and shielding them until they can see, or sticking them in a corner and staying out of the person's way while shooting the zombies from a distance, since the teammate will be spamming bullets everywhere in an attempt to defend themself and with no proper vision, they might accidentally hit you. Also, staying away from the person will guarentee your health won't go down.

Do these strategies both depend on the map layout? If you're in a subway car, stick the person in the back and shield, but in open areas, stand to the sides and shoot the zombies as they run for your teammate?

Also, when a hunter attacks your teammate, I, personally, find it better to knock the hunter off and shoot him while the hunter is "recovering" from the shove, instead of shooting the hunter while he's mauling your teammate. I tend to have a fear I'll end up accidentally hitting my teammate, so I like to throw the hunter off first before shooting.

shimmybot
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by shimmybot » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:52 am

I agree with all of this. As for the boomed teammate thought, I think the most effective method is just stick the teammate in a corner and shield him, cause when a teammate is boomed, the zombies could care less about you. Fire away and let the boomed teammate gather themselves.

Also, I find the best thing to do if you're the boomed teammate is shove away. Cause, if a zombie makes it through the gauntlet, then they'll get pushed back into you're teammate's range. not to mention the fact that everything is a green blur. So since you can barely tell whats what, shove, don't fire

(my 2 cents)

Archon
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: [L4D] Tips and Tricks

Post by Archon » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:51 pm

[quote="Infusions";p="133971"]Also, when a hunter attacks your teammate, I, personally, find it better to knock the hunter off and shoot him while the hunter is "recovering" from the shove, instead of shooting the hunter while he's mauling your teammate. I tend to have a fear I'll end up accidentally hitting my teammate, so I like to throw the hunter off first before shooting.[/quote]

you will end up hitting your teammate if you shoot at a hunter or other zombie thats on him/her, and if you have a shotgun, that could mean killing them. always knock them off first unless your a really good shot.
USER, n.: The word computer professionals use when they mean 'idiot.'

Nick Mame
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Nick Mame » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:39 pm

The medpack resets the knockdowns-til-death counter. It's best if you not use it until someone is on their last 'life'. Use pills when you get low on health and medpacks when you get low on lives. And save your pills until you start limping! On expert, health is meaningless - what matters is movement speed. Until it's impaired, keep on trudging.

When you hear a horde coming:
A) prepare a molotov and throw it in the direction they are coming from. almost all will die.
B) wait until the horde is on you and throw a pipe bomb. most will die.
C) get behind a door and close it. all will die before the door breaks down.
D) get inside a narrow hallway (or subway) and assign one person to guard each entrance.

When you hear a tank:
Spread out along an escape path. One person should shoot the tank to attract it and immediately begin running for the person closest to the exit you'll be retreating through. Whoever is alive should shoot the tank as it chases them. When the retreating person is in position behind the person furthest back - or the tank is close to the person in front - the person in front retreats and goes behind the furthest person. Rinse and repeat: tank gets close, run to end of line; rest of line fires to cover retreat.

Running in all random directions doesn't help because it breaks LoS and kills the damage output of the group. You have to direct it towards your team. At the same time, your team can shoot it and slow it down (since tanks under fire move significantly slower) until you are in a position to resume your attack.

Don't just charge the thing and hope it works out. Run and shoot. Only plan ahead so only one person has to run at a time.
Interested in custom maps? Join the [url=http://steamcommunity.com/groups/tvii][u]TV2 Seeding Group[/u][/url]!

YevGenie
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by YevGenie » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:09 pm

I almost hope they makethe real game a bit harder :)

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:16 pm

[quote="Infusions";p="133971"]
Also, when a hunter attacks your teammate, I, personally, find it better to knock the hunter off and shoot him while the hunter is "recovering" from the shove, instead of shooting the hunter while he's mauling your teammate. I tend to have a fear I'll end up accidentally hitting my teammate, so I like to throw the hunter off first before shooting.[/quote]

Alright I have to point something out. When a smoker or hunter is grabbing your teammate your teammate will NOT TAKE FRIENDLY FIRE DAMAGE so blast away. However if a hunter is on someone your right beside him melee him off, he'll be knocked off right away.

Also try to melee boomers away before blasting them if you can.

Infusions
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Infusions » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:46 pm

[quote="Guardian";p="134116"]Alright I have to point something out. When a smoker or hunter is grabbing your teammate your teammate will NOT TAKE FRIENDLY FIRE DAMAGE so blast away. However if a hunter is on someone your right beside him melee him off, he'll be knocked off right away.

Also try to melee boomers away before blasting them if you can.
[/quote]

Pfff says the person who yelled at me not to shoot at him when the Smoker was grabbing him!

YOU AND ITCHY LIED TO ME.
[url=http://lolschach.blogspot.com/][img]http://g.imagehost.org/0572/LOL_6.png[/img][/url]

Flobee
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flobee » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:21 am

If you want the game to be harder, let me play with you. I'm so bad at this that I will make it a hilariously difficult game to win.

Just ask Guardian and Itchy.

...Pooorrr Guardian and Itchy...
where doing this man.
where MAKING THIS HAPEN.

Infusions
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Infusions » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:15 pm

Flobee killed Itchy about three times.

Good times.
[url=http://lolschach.blogspot.com/][img]http://g.imagehost.org/0572/LOL_6.png[/img][/url]

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:36 pm

*I walk in front of Flobee to get some zombies*

*Flobee shoots me*

Guardian: WHY'D YOU SHOOT ME THERE AREN'T ANY ZOMBIES AROUND YOU!!!

Flobee: Don't jump in front of me like that.

Guardian: HEY

Flobee: You Startled me

Guardian: :evil:

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:48 pm

I once came around a corner and shot Itchy when he was trying to help Infy to her feet because I thought he was a Hunter.
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

Infusions
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Infusions » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:12 pm

[quote="TheCarpe";p="134398"]
I once came around a corner and shot Itchy when he was trying to help Infy to her feet because I thought he was a Hunter.
[/quote]

I bet he was playing as Bill.

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:34 pm

[quote="Infusions";p="134415"][quote="TheCarpe";p="134398"]
[/quote]

I bet he was playing as Bill.[/quote]

He was.
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

spm97
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by spm97 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:21 pm

I don't think anyone would want to play L4D with me. That would ruin the game for a lot of people....

[quote="Flobee";p="134205"]If you want the game to be harder, let me play with you. I'm so bad at this that I will make it a hilariously difficult game to win.

Just ask Guardian and Itchy.

...Pooorrr Guardian and Itchy...[/quote]

Flobee
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flobee » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:51 pm

In my defense, Guardian, you didn't "walk in front of me", you suddenly dropped down in front of me from atop a subway car. When something jumps into frame like that, my first instinct is to shoot it. :)
where doing this man.
where MAKING THIS HAPEN.