This is how you zombie

Join TheVille's best fun-loving zombie experts as they reduce the number of infected!
Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

This is how you zombie

Post by Boss Llama » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:21 pm

I've always been a fan of speed runs because they teach one of the most important skills you can have in versus - going fast! This is one of the better speed run videos I've seen because it's an entire team of four, working together, without exploits or scripts, and kicking butt. They are on the same page so well they barely need to speak - they just know the map, know what they need to do, and they help each other out as needed without hesitation, and without waiting for a person to ask for assistance. Every one of them is listening to the audio cues in the game and anticipating attacks, positioning, and dangers. If you want to know how to play L4D2, this video is outstanding.

Also, this is on expert realism, because why not?

-Boss Llama

ADevilishPotato
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: This is how you zombie

Post by ADevilishPotato » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:53 am

yup, just move forward :D

good vid!
WARPATH Cup '12- [WARPATH] We are running past all the heavies
The Ville Cup '12- (DYD) Dirty Dan's Double D's
Dust Bowl loves Warpath '13- (CD-i) Chokepoints and Demomen- international (Champions!)
The Ville Cup '13- [T^5] Tuber's Truly Terrifying Tator Tots
The Ville Cup '14- GCI_ Guild of Calamitous Intent

John Doe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by John Doe » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:34 am

They are pretty efficient, I was quite impressed with how they got through the mall and just blasted past the tank.

Also, I think it was a 1 in a million run, the zombies seemed to be quite light compared to what we often see.

JD

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:52 am

Moving fast reduces the number of zombies faced in two ways. Firstly, by not pausing and killing what's there, they prevent respawns of the dead (zombies are alive and chasing, rather than dead and respawning ahead), and secondly the director spawns fewer hordes, which are sent in direct response to spending too much time in an area or moving too slowly.

They were fortunate with tanks and witches not being in terrible spots, but they did everything right to help themselves as well. Going fast as a team is the number one thing that wins games!
-Boss Llama

YoullNeverWalkAlone
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by YoullNeverWalkAlone » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:23 pm

Speed runs truly inspire the terror and adrenaline rush that a zombie based game should. 'Course part of that for me is the fear of being the one who screws things up since I'm not a map familiar as I should be and could be a lot better at the game in general. Playing a game with people who really know how to communicate is a blast. (helps when its a VERY understanding AF...)
Thanks Sparky for the sig picture!

Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
And You'll Never Walk Alone,
You'll Never Walk Alone

The Truth--Justice--Remember the Hillsborough 96

black_and_blue
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by black_and_blue » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:43 pm

Interesting how extensively they use melee weapons.

The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by The Domer » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:33 pm

black_and_blue wrote:Interesting how extensively they use melee weapons.
Haven't had a chance to watch the video yet, but this doesn't surprise me. Melee weapons are very powerfully in L4D2.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:47 pm

black_and_blue wrote:Interesting how extensively they use melee weapons.
I see them use melee at the beginning for half the first level, ditching them the moment they get magnums, and then never again. For a speed run, melee can be useful in speed runs because you're only trying to plow stuff out of your way rather than kill hordes or help people while down, but nothing beats a mag!
-Boss Llama

black_and_blue
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by black_and_blue » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:35 pm

Alizée Fan wrote:I see them use melee at the beginning for half the first level, ditching them the moment they get magnums, and then never again.
OK, I admit I made that comment having only watched the first half of the first level. I've watched the whole thing now.
:D

Still, it's amazing how little they use guns that require ammo. Once they get the magnums, they become the weapon of choice for most purposes.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:20 pm

Yup! When playing expert, Magnum is the only gun I'll use except against tanks and chargers. Anything else is pretty pointless :-P Magnum is a single hit kill on any common, regardless of where you hit them, and penetrates to kill multiple zombies. As I've posted in some tutorial threads around here, it is pretty much the only weapon in the game that is unquestionably the best option for its type!
-Boss Llama