8+ player l4d2 mods-thoughts?

Join TheVille's best fun-loving zombie experts as they reduce the number of infected!
Fox_Blaze
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

8+ player l4d2 mods-thoughts?

Post by Fox_Blaze » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:46 pm

As the title said, I am curious as to what you all think about mods and plug-ins or sorts (pardon my misuse of some terms) that raise the maximum players beyond 8, such as Super Versus or Left 4 Downtown.

My father recently changed his BF3 server into a l4d2 server as he had a falling out and wanted to try a new game. As one who tends to go overboard with things, and thinks after a few days of research is convinced that certain mods and or add ons are the end all be all. He knows nothing about the games, I had to explain what Survival was to him earlier, and he seemed completely dumbfounded. I've had to get it through his head that vanilla is probably the way to go in his situation as to not discourage him away from a truly great game.

I don't know. I am a little annoyed with some of the conclusions he's made with 20 player l4d2 mods, because having that many players honestly defeats the purpose of the novelty of the 4 in "Left '4' Dead".

What are your thoughts on such mods like this?
Thanks Nerevarine King for the banner!
TVC '10-Hale's Angels (3rd place)
TVC '11-League of Evil Villuns (2nd place)[/spoiler]

Checkm8
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: 8+ player l4d2 mods-thoughts?

Post by Checkm8 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:16 pm

I'd try it but I am sure that I'd get annoyed of more than one jockey trying to hump me. Plus a lot of these maps can be to pipelined in places for that many people. Again, it's definitely something that I'd have to try first. Also, it seems that the l4d2 crowd is slowly dwindling here but I don't know if that speaks for the entire l4d2 community.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:01 pm

My personal thoughts are that plug-ins/mods need to die - a vanilla/plain/legit server is critical to having a good time in most cases. Plugins tend to ruin the game, because so few of them are balanced - they're pretty much all just designed to make the game easier for people who can't handle the real thing; more ammo, more health, movement while incapped, enemy health meters, etc.

As far as just having more than the default number of people. that's not quite like the same as the others, but it still harms balance. The maps are designed for the movement of 4 people and 4 SI, firepower of 4 people and 4 SI, timing of 4 people and 4 SI, etc. A campaign with 20 people, or an 8v8 versus, might be fun as a novelty, but I would never want to play that sort of thing instead of a real game.
-Boss Llama

frostdillicus
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by frostdillicus » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:20 pm

Only time I have liked mods is when playing the Helm's Deep survival map. There were a few that make it interesting. Seeing tank health was amusing, if completely unnecessary. There were a few others that were interesting, but I don't remember what they were.

Anything that raises the max amount of players is dumb imo. Same with things that change major mechanics, but I don't think I need to reiterate this as Al already did a fine enough job of expressing a similar sentiment to the one I have.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:03 pm

Sort of defeats the purpose when you have eight survivors, more people who can assist in times of panic or stress, and the director won't scale zombie hordes to overwhelm 8 of them on it's own.

Besides, the VS scene appears to be on the decline around here, I don't remmeber the last Ville vs match I played.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

Soup Nazi
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Soup Nazi » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:25 pm

No
=USV= [BB] [IV] [WARPATH] [USAHB] :TIME: :TOOL:

metacide
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by metacide » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:36 pm

I also dislike the 8+ idea for all the reasons previously stated. The only mod that I like is the one where you can take your pills/shot when you are on the ground. That just makes sense to me, though it does make the game a lot easier I feel which is a bit lame.

DLR.O Ken
New Villun
New Villun

Games Played

Post by DLR.O Ken » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:32 am

This post deleted for the following reasons:

Disrespect and insults towards other posters are not tolerated.

Advertisement of other communities is not permitted.

-Alizée Fan

black_and_blue
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by black_and_blue » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:37 am

My opinion of mods in general is that they CAN be good provided that the players who connect to them know exactly what they're getting into, but are almost always very bad when people are taken by surprise.

I'd love to try something like the All Survivors Project, but at the same time I find it very annoying when I do a quick search for a server and end up being placed in a server where all the healthpacks have been replaced by pills.

gator
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by gator » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:32 am

necro'ing those 22 month old threads.

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:01 am

Is this fool serious almost 2 years old and he creates an account just to resurrect it... walk on out
CG6505 CPT Nelson LCDR Wischmeier AST1 Skimin AMT2 Nichols-4SEP08
CG1705 LCDR Barnes LT Bryant AMTC Seidman AET2 Grigonis AET2 Beacham AMT2 Moletzsky AMT3 Kreder-29OCT09
CG6017 LT Krueger AMT1 Hoke AMT2 Banks-07JUL10
CG6535 LCDR Taylor LTjg Cameron ASTC Jorge AET3 Knight-29FEB12
WPB87340-2 BMC Terrell Horne-2Dec12
WMSL751 BM3 Obendorf-18DEC13