Dead Air now available in L4D2

Join TheVille's best fun-loving zombie experts as they reduce the number of infected!
ShadyJane
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Dead Air now available in L4D2

Post by ShadyJane » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:52 pm

M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Dead Air now available in L4D2

Post by M's » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:25 pm

well maybe that D/L will help stabilize my game.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:38 pm

I can't imagine it would, as the patch updates only state that Dead Air is now avalible in a beta status.

I played a round on single player, normal. There's one major change and a few minor changes, but you can tell it's still a beta since they haven't tied in all the music yet.

The biggest change is the security checkpoint in the Airport (map 4), in which it's no longer possible to jump over the x-ray machine; you have to go through the metal detector, and on top of that, the alarm doesn't shut off until you reach the safe room.

Zombie spawns seem off; I thought I was fighting considerably more zombies during panic events and crescendos, though that might possibly be attributed to the fact that I found a whole ton of bile jars from part 3-on.

Unfortunetly, the finale isn't a scavenge, like people were hoping for.

Map 2 is a charger's paradise, there are tons of rooftops with no guardrails. I'm reluctant to play a vs match here because of it.

Also, chalk this one up for bot stupidity. Francis thought it would be a good idea to stand directly next to a burning barrel. He was promptly incap'd. Zoey picked him up, and then proceeded to heal him on the spot (which was still next to the barrel). Needless to say, she couldn't heal him fast enough, and he ended up being incapped 3 times (which means he died).

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by M's » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:56 pm

I was being sarcastic. In order for me to get past the opening cut scene.
I have to veirfy my files.

Roirdan
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Roirdan » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:30 pm

Zork Nemesis wrote:Unfortunetly, the finale isn't a scavenge, like people were hoping for.
I am indescribably happy that it is not a scavenge. I HATE scavenge with a fiery passion.
Awesome sig by F13ND!

frostdillicus
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by frostdillicus » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:41 pm

Unless they did some major redesign of the finale, scavenge was about the only way to make the finale of Dead Air remotely fair for the infected. Even with the new SI, most of the old cheese camp spots are still viable. I don't know about you, but I don't consider a finale fun when the infected can't ever attack the survivors.

metacide
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by metacide » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:45 pm

frostdillicus wrote:Unless they did some major redesign of the finale, scavenge was about the only way to make the finale of Dead Air remotely fair for the infected. Even with the new SI, most of the old cheese camp spots are still viable. I don't know about you, but I don't consider a finale fun when the infected can't ever attack the survivors.
/cough No Mercy Finale before the last update /cough

I agree, unless there's an element of risk to it, what's the point?

frostdillicus
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by frostdillicus » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:48 pm

I'm mostly talking about how it was in L4D1 as I have yet to play it in L4D2. Pretty sure in L4D1 the spawn distance was sane for No Mercy, but it has been years since I played it.

Regardless, Dead Air finale was one of the cheesiest finales when it came to corner camping. The corner with a massive overhang that made it impossible for anyone to get even close to the survivors, or the open area behind the airplane against the fence that has such long lines of sight that you were dead before you even got close. Sure, spitters will fix the first spot, but not enough to keep the team from going right back there. Nothing in the new SI repotoire will fix the open area behind the plane. :(

frostdillicus
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by frostdillicus » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:18 pm

So the overhang spots are still there on the finale, but are far taller. I'm not sure if that will help or not. As for the area behind the plane, it is gone. In it's place is a ring of fire that you can not pass through, but you sure can walk into. I'm sure you can still defend there, but the SI can now just push you into fire when they feel like it so I wouldn't recommend it.

metacide
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by metacide » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:42 pm

What about the closet area on the other side of the map?
Or the stairs that lead up to the broken plane?

frostdillicus
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by frostdillicus » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:53 pm

Closet is still there, but that one is really really dangerous with spitters and chargers now. A good spit/charge combo will end the survivors. I didn't go up to the broken jetway, but Gruel did. You would have to ask his opinion of it.

metacide
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by metacide » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:56 pm

Dont go in the closet :D
If I remember right that entire area was under an overhang, the nearest spot infected could spawn were behind some columns. I'm curious if they broke it up a bit.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:14 pm

Roirdan wrote:
Zork Nemesis wrote:Unfortunetly, the finale isn't a scavenge, like people were hoping for.
I am indescribably happy that it is not a scavenge. I HATE scavenge with a fiery passion.

While I don't quite hate scavenge, I really don't enjoy it, and am delighted they didn't turn the finale in to one.
-Boss Llama

Soup Nazi
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Soup Nazi » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:14 pm

Played a game of vs. As well as campaign with a buch of regulars tonight. It was quite fun, and Zork was right - charges, smokes, and many bodies launched off rooftops. It was quite fun really. Including one of the best incap-jumps I've ever done, through spit, into safe room, and closing the door behind me as I'm falling down.
=USV= [BB] [IV] [WARPATH] [USAHB] :TIME: :TOOL:

metacide
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by metacide » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:31 am

Played the Finale round with some villuns last evening and had a blast. Two of my teammates were incapped, one was dead with a tank, a charger, a smoker, and a jockey somewhere out there. Managed to bile both the tank and the jockey, the jockey got me.. but the infected killed it.
Running from the tank, managed to dodge the charger by a hair, got smoked by the smoker, but melee'd it off of me, killed the charger, killed the tank, got 2 teammates on their feet and revived the third.
Best 4 minutes of L4D2 I've had :P

Sadly Masa killed me as a hunter just before I could try to make it to the safety of the plane. Zookie made it at least.