[Custom Survival] Helm's Deep Reborn

Join TheVille's best fun-loving zombie experts as they reduce the number of infected!
MateoTheBold!
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

[Custom Survival] Helm's Deep Reborn

Post by MateoTheBold! » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:42 pm

Link:
http://tthreaz.bugsprae.com/L4D2/helmsd ... n_L4D2.zip

Helm's Deep Reborn is bar none the most fun you will have playing survival. It mirror's the Helm's Deep battle scene from Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers movie. There are lots of throwables, lots of health, multiple mounted gun positions, etc. This might sound like over kill and it would be in your typical surival map, but this ain't your momma's typical surival map.

The map is unique in that it is multiple stage. Certain portions of the level are closed off and as events transpire, eg the main perimeter wall being breached (just like in the movie), the level opens up additional areas that you fall back to. From the main wall to the inner keep, from the keep to the king's hall etc.

Additionally, there is an objective within the survival map to complete. If you fail, the game punishes you by spawning more hordes and ramping up the difficulty. Overall the main goal is to surive 29 minutes until gandalf the zombie killer arrives. In essence 29 minutes is the gold medal, not 10.

So far 7 villuns that I know of have played and enjoyed the map. Even grumpy Frost had nice things to say about it. :dance:

Edit: Updated with T's link that will probably make us part of his botnet
Last edited by MateoTheBold! on Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Warpath Cup- FU-2011, FAIL 2012
Villeympics- BB 2011, USAHB 2012
Ville Cup- HK 2011, SNES 2012, :TIME: 2013, CTB 2014

TTHREAZ
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: [Custom Survival] Helm's Deep Reborn

Post by TTHREAZ » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:48 pm

Use THIS.

TTHREAZ
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TTHREAZ » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:14 pm

MateoTheBold! wrote:Updated with T's link that will probably make us part of his botnet
Probably?

I really like this map. The Wrecking Crew played a handful of iterations last night and they were all fun. The longest we made it so far was about 25 minutes or so. To be fair, by that point, it was just frosty and myself holding the king's hall.

I look forward to meeting Gandalf.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:18 pm

This was a super fun map. I normally don't like Survival mode these days, but this is stellar. Set-up time is just long enough to grab what you want to have on your person, and then the party begins. Great action throughout.

I loaded up Two Towers this evening and watched it for accuracy of lay-out and order of actions, and it is quite simply a fantastic recreation of the movie, down to some pretty remarkably small details. Two thumbs up.
-Boss Llama

TTHREAZ
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TTHREAZ » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:37 pm

Success! |3ee, Check, frosty and myself have successfully completed the mission. Pretty intense stuff.

zookie
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by zookie » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:53 pm

It is really fun...even if I can only make it 14 mins.

l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l3eeron » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:55 am

Yep, I'm having a blast on this map!

We need it on our servers :)

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:02 am

I agree with B, it'd be great if we could host this map on our L4D2 servers. We played through it repeatedly last night, with great success, and it just doesn't get dull.
-Boss Llama

The Spanish Inquisition
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by The Spanish Inquisition » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:37 am

Alizée Fan wrote:I agree with B, it'd be great if we could host this map on our L4D2 servers. We played through it repeatedly last night, with great success, and it just doesn't get dull.
Thanks for showing me this tonight. I had fun. Definitely helps to play with someone who has played this before.
Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquisition!

metacide
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by metacide » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:56 pm

the next time one of these is planned, count me in :)

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:42 pm

Someone needs to get me involved in this as well. Playing it with bot survivors sucks (12 minutes though) and i've been wanting to play a round of L4D anything with you guys again for a while.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:46 pm

Warning: Spoiler Content

Strategy/Walk-through

Over the last few nights playing this map repeatedly, we’ve developed a strategy that seems to work pretty darn well, barring freak accidents involving tanks and such. Here’s a walk-through with timing notes, to help anybody who’s interested in defending the Hornburg successfully.

Starting Room:

Pick up a Magnum, your long gun of choice, and a pipe bomb. Don’t take the M60s, Grenade Launchers, and Molotov Cocktails, you’ll need them later when you come back here.

Deeping Wall:

There are two pairs of M2s mounted up top, some gas cans and molotovs on the right, and a heap of pipes and molotovs on the far left. You start on the right side, and the ammo pile is at the top of the right stairs. The battlefield before you is strewn about with gas cans and propane tanks, including some that are extra explosive. Down inside the wall is another pair of M2s, a bunch of burnables, and various supplies including another ammo pile and lots of pills. Zoey, Francis, and Louis are there as well, at the top of a rubble ramp on the right, providing support similar to in The Passing (i.e. using their guns and manning an additional M2, but not picking you up if incapped or changing position much).

Mobs will attack up the ramp on the right, and by climbing ladders in the center and on the left. One player should hop on each pair of M2s. Don’t use both from the same pair at once – simply have one person alternate between them so that when the barrels get hot, you can jump to the other gun and keep up continuous fire while the first cools down. Toss the gas cans from the rampart down in to the keep, you’ll need them later. After about a minute, somebody should go to the left tower and use all the throwables there, chucking pipes to pull the horde back, and using molotovs near the ramp, or against tanks. There’s a spare M60 or two on the rampart, useable against tanks that climb the wall. Watch for smokers who’ll pull you forward off the wall, and you’ll be fine.

The wall will be breached between 3:30 and 4:30, usually closer to the latter. The breach occurs between the pairs of M2s. At this point two people should immediately go down into the keep, and the other two should remain on the right wall (don’t be on the left one – it isn’t safe). One of the two inside the keep should man the M2 pair pointed at the breach, and the other should keep a continuous string of burnables lighting up the zombies coming through the hole. There’s water there, so make sure not to throw it too far in, or they’ll just get put out again when they come through. The two players on the right wall should just fight as usual, calling out tanks and such as they come in.

Between 6:30 and 7:30, the call to fall back will be heard. Try to be off the wall by 7:00 to be in place to retreat. If everybody can have a Molotov when the retreat occurs, that is ideal. Immediately head for the stairs to your back left, and run up them, then down the tunnel in to the Hornburg.

The Hornburg:

This is a double-ring fortress, sporting an outer wall with a gatehouse, and an inner wall around the keep. The entrance to the keep will be closed, and the entire area is full of supplies, throwables, gas, weapons, laser sites, etc. You must keep the zombies off the gate for as long as possible, as they’ll break through exceedingly quickly if they reach it. There will be a brief respite while the zombies change pathing to attack the gate. An additional bonus is that so long as the gate stands, you can not be attacked from any other angle.

Three players should go to defend the gate, one down below shooting through the hole broken in it, and two above (one on either side). Alternate off throwing molotovs on to the approach ramp, keeping a constant fire burning for as long as possible. There are lots of spare mollies around, you should be able to last for 5 minutes or more this way. Shoot the specials as they come, and don’t let them reach the gate. While this is happening, the fourth player should be gathering all the gas cans and fireworks, and bringing them up to the keep door. Place them to either side of the door so they’re not too likely to get shot. It is also critical that an auto-shotgun be grabbed from the weapon rack and juggled up to this position as well (adding a laser makes this easier). The fourth player also acts as a relief gunner for the player at the gate, who will need to do an ammo run at some point.

Continue the Molotov rotation until there aren’t any more readily available. If the fourth player finishes moving items, they should join this rotation too. When your last Molotov has been thrown, retreat in to the inner keep immediately – don’t wait for it to finish burning, it’s your cover. Prepare for initial defense at the base of the steps to the keep door area. Most enemies will come from the right – use any additional molotovs you have to burn this area, and chuck in a couple gas cans as well if you have time. One person should watch left for the stragglers and SI that come in, but most will be from the right. Also, be advised that a “magic tank” sometimes seems to materialize out of nowhere in this area the moment the door breaches. Be prepared to put him down. The ammo pile is on the porch of the keep, on the right side.

Pull back as necessary up to the porch, and keep burning the stairs with your accumulated gas cans. The door to the keep will open between 15:00 and 17:00, but don’t immediately run in. There is a witch sitting in the doorway, who will need to be crowned with the auto-shotgun brought over previously. Once she’s dead, everybody get inside, and burn the doorway.

The Keep:

If your team is well organized, this is basically a meat grinder and you shouldn’t have any worries for a while. There is an M2 in the room, and you have access back to the starting room, with every weapon, plus a couple M60s, lots of molotovs (which is why you left them at the beginning), and other goodies. By this point you’ll all have laser-sighted versions of your favorite gun, and you’ll have an M2, so you won’t need to burn the door for a while. Every attacker will be coming at a tiny chokepoint. Call it out when you go on ammo runs so you don’t all leave at once, and lay down as much fire as you can.

Somewhere between 22:00 and 24:00 you’ll see the message that tank spawn is at maximum, and tanks will start showing up 3 and even 4 at a time. Now is time to use all those saved molotovs. Burn the door to light the tanks up and keep the commons out, and unload on the tanks like mad. M2 gunner should call when his gun needs a rest, so you can pick up one of the M60s to cover with for a bit.

Between 25:00 and 27:00 daylight will arrive, and a series of messages will start to show up on screen, and audio cues will play. You don’t need to do anything for most of these, but the final one orders all players to meet at the top of the tower. When that message comes, kill any tanks that are attacking, and flee without waiting up the stairs to the tower. The stairs are forward and left in the keep. There is an explosive barrel at the base of them – when all players are past it, shoot it and get moving. Down the hall there is a spiral staircase up to the top of the horn tower. There are two boxes of fireworks in a corner near the base. Toss them out, light them up, and go to the top. At the top, no matter what your health, use your health kit.

Finale:

When all players are at the top of the tower, you’ll be teleported back to the supply room, but with no zombies present. New health kits and pills will be on the floor. I recommend somebody pick up a chainsaw. You’re given 20 seconds to heal up, grab ammo, etc, and will be teleported again to the keep hall. At this point, you are recreating the king’s horseback charge from the movie. You will be pushed along whether you will or no, but can move quite fast if you choose to run in the direction of the push. You will travel out the keep, down the steps making a right turn, and will follow the ramp out through the main gate and down to the battlefield. You will be moving through a horde of commons, but no SI, and if you have a chainsaw wielder, let them be in front.

Once down to the battlefield, whomever got their first will lose control of their avatar for a moment, and won’t be able to see anything but Gandalf. This player should identify themself, and the rest of the team should gather around them. Once the player has control again, the team should make a break for the rubble ramp up the wall. There will be commons and tanks, and a couple SI, from here until the end. After the first wave, the commons will all attack only Gandalf, leaving the team to fight off the tanks and SI for a couple minutes. Somewhere around 29:30-30:30, all the zombies will drop dead, and you will win. Congratulations.
-Boss Llama

metacide
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by metacide » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:54 am

Two things to add to Ali's post.

When forced back into the keep, do not wait to get more ammo until you have almost none left. This could be catastrophic if your entire team runs out of ammo at the same time.

When you run up to the tower, there is a bug that will prevent you from being teleported back to the resupply area in the hall. So do not jump out of the window of the tower, unless you are really sure you dont want to be teleported.

Soup Nazi
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Soup Nazi » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:50 am

I LOVED this! If you guys ever need another wingman for it, send me a message.

Props to Mateo for introducing it to me!
=USV= [BB] [IV] [WARPATH] [USAHB] :TIME: :TOOL:

Stevo
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun
Minecraft name: StevoTVR
Uplay name: StevoTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Stevo » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:17 pm

It's now on TheVille servers.