The Real Deal

Join TheVille's best fun-loving zombie experts as they reduce the number of infected!
Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: The Real Deal

Post by Zork Nemesis » Tue May 24, 2011 12:59 am

Can I get in on this? I know realism mode kinda sucks in terms of difficulty (I booted it up once just to see the differences, nasty downsides), but being the achievement whore that I am, i'd love to get a go at this.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

ShadyJane
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by ShadyJane » Tue May 24, 2011 7:08 am

Cool, lots of interest!

Zork…Mateo…I say we do this together! Maybe there is a 4th villun interested in getting this achievement as well; otherwise one of the fabled members of the wrecking crew can perhaps grace us with their skills!

I’m adding everyone in this thread to my friends list and we can just figure out a time that works through steam.

Does anyone know when Valve is looking to release the other three L4D campaigns in L4D2?

frostdillicus
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by frostdillicus » Tue May 24, 2011 8:18 am

Realism and Expert are the reason my most used tier 2 weapon is the Magnum. Learn to love it. It is your best weapon for getting through either mode, especially when you are playing Realism Expert.

TTHREAZ
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TTHREAZ » Tue May 24, 2011 8:56 am

frostdillicus wrote:Realism and Expert are the reason my most used tier 2 weapon is the Magnum. Learn to love it. It is your best weapon for getting through either mode, especially when you are playing Realism Expert.
This.

I have almost 15,000 kills with the Magnum for the reasons stated.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Tue May 24, 2011 1:59 pm

Indeed! Magnum is your best bet. Magnum, and lots of patience. Move slowly when necessary, fast when possible, stay in a group, and watch your friendly fire. Those things will do 50% or more per hit if you FF somebody. Save your big guns for big mobs.

The AK-47 is my most used tier 2, for the simple reason that I use it in nearly every single game I ever play, if it is available. 32,141 kills with it, at the moment. The Magnum is second, however, with 21,080 kills. Nothing else is over 10k, except the M60, which doesn't count because of farming in gibfest.
-Boss Llama

gator
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by gator » Tue May 24, 2011 2:52 pm

Quickest way to get the achievement, though some may frown on it:
Speed run, Dead Center. Sacrifice someone relatively early each level (except finale) on purpose, the hordes will focus on them and give you breathing room, and if you're lucky, will semi-prevent hordes from spawning later as you work through each level. If available, throw biles early at the start of levels, run, then throw a moly back a little later to avoid hordes. Work together on the finale to get the cans, whatever style suits you best.

Any other methods, while fun, will take a while to complete.

There's no timetable on the L4D2 DLC that I know of, although now that Portal 2 is released it should hopefully be not too distant future... I'd love to play Blood Harvest or Dead Air versus on L4D2.

MateoTheBold!
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by MateoTheBold! » Tue May 24, 2011 8:18 pm

TTHREAZ wrote:
frostdillicus wrote:Considering we usually do Dead Center for realism expert, killing him would probably be a good idea.
Seconded.
Yeah, Dead Center would be a good map for me. I know it real well, and I know the eVa Wrecking crews' tricks on it. Some of them.

Case in point: The other night I was playing with Alizee, Frost and TTHREAZ on Dead Center and we were at the finale. They were trying to split up and gather the cans individually and I said, "Whoa, whoa, whoa, guys; hold up. If we stack them all together at the end, and use adrenaline to pour them all in at once, that works a lot better. That and we need to at least stick in teams of 2, maybe even 4"

Frostdillicius said, "Wow, Mateo, I am really happy you are here to teach us." I expressed that I was happy to be help him.
Alizee said, "What's adrenaline?" So I explained that to him.
TTHREAZ said, " Can I go with you, Mateo? I'm scared." I comforted him and told him I would look after him.

The sad part is that the end, after we stacked all the gas, TTHREAZ shot the pile and erased all our work. Everyone wanted to know who did and right then TTHREAZ PM'd me over steam:

"<eVa> TTHREAZ: Yo, Mateo. Can you take the fall for the gas cans? I got a rep to uphold and I can't have people hating on me.
<TVB> Mateo The Bold!: It's cool TTHREAZ, I can take the fall for you. I'll just tell them I did it.
<eVa> TTHREAZ: Ah, cool. Thanks buddy. Can you later show me how to build a mob spawner in Minecraft?"

Or something similar. I may be off in a few places, or left out some minor details, but that's a rough approximation of what happened.

Warpath Cup- FU-2011, FAIL 2012
Villeympics- BB 2011, USAHB 2012
Ville Cup- HK 2011, SNES 2012, :TIME: 2013, CTB 2014

frostdillicus
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by frostdillicus » Tue May 24, 2011 9:41 pm

Zookie,

I think it might be wise to take Mateo in for a brain scan. If whatever is screwing with his memory and swapping it with his imagination is caught early, it's probably treatable.

Gator:

I won't frown upon it. However people want to get their acheesements is fine with me honestly. However, the sense of accomplishment in being one of the 3% of L4D2 players to get this achievement and having done it, not legit per say, but properly is pretty cool.

New Stuff!

I think one of the main reasons we usually choose Dead Center is cause of the abundance of early Magnum spawns, and also the abundance of Boomer Bile. The fact that you get your choice of laser sighted whatever the hell you want also doesn't hurt. The finale can be done quickly as to avoid multiple tank spawns, which is always good.

The magnum is god though. Love your magnum. Cherish your magnum. Clean your magnum after every map for more zombie killing goodness.

TTHREAZ
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TTHREAZ » Tue May 24, 2011 10:03 pm

MateoTheBold! wrote:Yeah, Dead Center would be a good map for me. I know it real well, and I know the eVa Wrecking crews' tricks on it. Some of them.

Case in point: The other night I was playing with Alizee, Frost and TTHREAZ on Dead Center and we were at the finale. They were trying to split up and gather the cans individually and I said, "Whoa, whoa, whoa, guys; hold up. If we stack them all together at the end, and use adrenaline to pour them all in at once, that works a lot better. That and we need to at least stick in teams of 2, maybe even 4"

Frostdillicius said, "Wow, Mateo, I am really happy you are here to teach us." I expressed that I was happy to be help him.
Alizee said, "What's adrenaline?" So I explained that to him.
TTHREAZ said, " Can I go with you, Mateo? I'm scared." I comforted him and told him I would look after him.

The sad part is that the end, after we stacked all the gas, TTHREAZ shot the pile and erased all our work. Everyone wanted to know who did and right then TTHREAZ PM'd me over steam:

"<eVa> TTHREAZ: Yo, Mateo. Can you take the fall for the gas cans? I got a rep to uphold and I can't have people hating on me.
<TVB> Mateo The Bold!: It's cool TTHREAZ, I can take the fall for you. I'll just tell them I did it.
<eVa> TTHREAZ: Ah, cool. Thanks buddy. Can you later show me how to build a mob spawner in Minecraft?"

Or something similar. I may be off in a few places, or left out some minor details, but that's a rough approximation of what happened.
I like this guy. He's alright. :D

ShadyJane
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by ShadyJane » Wed May 25, 2011 7:28 am

Hah! The L4D series is usually pretty good at developing interesting stories.

Thanks for the advice gator, but I’m gonna side with frostd on this one. I’d like to play the campaign “for real” on expert/realism. The challenge is the enjoyable part of the game for me now. I really want to do it on Hard Rain as it is my favorite campaign by far, but I’ll do whatever a group wants to tackle.

I’ve known about the glory of the magnum since the beginning. It’s pretty much a sniper rifle when you crouch. Also, it minimizes friendly fire (which so far has been my biggest challenge) adding to its godliness.

Yea, so I’m pretty sure I added everyone in this thread to my friends list. Anyone who is interested let me know when you wanna do this thang.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Wed May 25, 2011 9:20 am

Hard Rain on expert realism is insanity. With the number of twists and turns, and the amount of time your vision is obscured (either by sugar cane, or storms), it takes pure luck to keep track of each other on some occasions. One charger while in the field, and you're toast :-P Also, take extra care with the witches - they auto-kill on contact.
-Boss Llama

ketchuo
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by ketchuo » Wed May 25, 2011 9:46 am

Alizée Fan wrote:Hard Rain on expert realism is insanity. With the number of twists and turns, and the amount of time your vision is obscured (either by sugar cane, or storms), it takes pure luck to keep track of each other on some occasions. One charger while in the field, and you're toast :-P Also, take extra care with the witches - they auto-kill on contact.
YES YES AND YES, it's hard on normal (witches and the sugar cane field) but on expert realism, this is one im not going to do.
Alizée Fan wrote:Indeed! Magnum is your best bet. Magnum, and lots of patience. Move slowly when necessary, fast when possible, stay in a group, and watch your friendly fire. Those things will do 50% or more per hit if you FF somebody. Save your big guns for big mobs.

The AK-47 is my most used tier 2, for the simple reason that I use it in nearly every single game I ever play, if it is available. 32,141 kills with it, at the moment. The Magnum is second, however, with 21,080 kills. Nothing else is over 10k, except the M60, which doesn't count because of farming in gibfest.
Same here, expect if people need a sniper to watch out for smokers and other infected at long ranges.

frostdillicus
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by frostdillicus » Wed May 25, 2011 10:45 am

This is going to sound really nuts coming from me but...

Witches on Expert and/or Realism should be avoided at all costs. Only screw with them unless you have no other choice. In the video that Beeron posted, the witch kill at the beginning was me on Expert Realism Dead Center but only because we had no other choice. Killing witches is fun, but sometimes survival wins out over fun. This is one of those cases.

TTHREAZ
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TTHREAZ » Thu May 26, 2011 1:06 pm

Cross Mateo off the list of those needing it. :D

MateoTheBold!
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by MateoTheBold! » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:55 pm

Cross Zookie off the list too. <eVa> Wrecking came through for us once again. :clap: With the amount of favors they have done for us, why does it feel like I have placed myself in this situation demonstrated below?

Gratzie, Wrecking Crew, Gratzie.

Warpath Cup- FU-2011, FAIL 2012
Villeympics- BB 2011, USAHB 2012
Ville Cup- HK 2011, SNES 2012, :TIME: 2013, CTB 2014