L4D2 The Passing: Undocument Changes

Join TheVille's best fun-loving zombie experts as they reduce the number of infected!
BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

L4D2 The Passing: Undocument Changes

Post by BigBiker05 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:11 am

Ok guys, so apparently all the patch notes say is:
Fixed a Linux dedicated server crash
Fixed Mutation Achievement display
Fixed SDK load Issue
However, there are some undocumented changes. So far all I have noticed is the spitter has changed a bit.
Now I may be wrong, but it seems in small area the spit will make up for lost areas by spreading in another. For example, in a hallway it will spread so the total area spat upon is the same as an open area. Now I'm not sure about this, just what it seems.
Now what I am sure about. Huge spitter nerf in scavenge areas. I haven't tested this is campaign better an AI spitting, or in scavenge mode.
But on Dead Center ending and Passing ending, the spit area from the spitter is extremely smaller by the generator/car.
Basically, if you spit right near the generator, the spit area is the size of the area when a spitter die. But, if you spit somewhere else, it is the regular size.

If you have noticed anything, please post it here.

arfy4
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by arfy4 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:23 am

Even people who didn't preorder get the baseball bat in single player.

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:50 am

Speaking of baseball bat, seems it is NOT included at the start of The Passing. Not exactly a change, but it is in this patch.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:52 am

Nope, but they do include the golf club, which is pretty awesome. Very satisfying sound, and wickedly deadly.

I'm glad I'm not crazy - I noticed that my spit circle seemed awfully small when shooting at the folks by the generator. Figured it was my own perception.
-Boss Llama

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:06 am

yeah, I got a handful of people to agree with me that when I was spitting near the generator it was very small, and when spitting away from the generator, it was larger. As far as the enclosed area spits, we have not done enough test to say its confirmed or not.

And yeah, you only get 1 golfclub, but you seem to get magnum every time. However, at the other 2 safehouses you do get baseball bats.

Grapedrink
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Re: L4D2 The Passing: Undocument Changes

Post by Grapedrink » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:30 am

the spitter is exactly the same
[img]http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g190/johnnyalpha/3b-z.jpg[/img]
[img]http://boff.clanservers.com/stuff/moobs_grapedrink.gif[/img]

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:17 am

Ok, thanks to grapedrink I have gone and done some more specific testing as well as the screenshots.
First off nothing in the the previous versions of the game has changed as far as spitter. All the old maps and scavenge maps are the same
Also, scavenge maps in Passing (all 3) spitter works normal.

However, its in versus mode on The Passing where the spitter works oddly. Since words can't convince people, here are two screenshots.

First off, a screenshot away from the generator (a normal size spit):
[spoil]Image][/spoil]

And now a spit planted near the generator (the smaller spit):
[spoil]Image[/spoil]

So there you have it. Like I said, I was only able to reproduce the smaller spit on The Passing finale during versus. I tried a hand full of scavenge maps including the Passing Finale, and I also tried Deadcenter Finale to no difference.

Hamese
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Hamese » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:42 am

I will say there were two instances where I thought I could get out of spit last night in rooms near hallways, but the area seemed larger. Some on my team even commented on the spread of the spit area.

Grapedrink
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Grapedrink » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:59 am

that isn't new, they just classified the generator as a saferoom area, spit in a saferoom, or in a elevator, it does the same thing, or on the boat on SF1, the spitter is exactly the same. The reason you guys think there is larger spit in hallways is because there aren't any tight hallways like those on any other map, Spit on any stairs on any map and you get a HUGE spread also, spit on a table in the middle of a room and it'll cover the entire room, but it's always been like that, it is nothing new, just you guys using it in a new situation

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:28 am

So grape, why is this one area on just one mode of just one map classified as a saferoom area? My thoughts are because as a large 16 object area they needed a way to make it easier.
But I would love to hear your thoughts.
Last edited by BigBiker05 on Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stevo
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun
Minecraft name: StevoTVR
Uplay name: StevoTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Stevo » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:54 am

VS maps can have different rules like that. This is just a balance feature for this particular part of the campaign I guess.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:19 pm

Might be a minor compensation for the fact that in versus, you don't have the previous crew standing on the balconies providing massive cover-fire, which is part of how the finale is designed to be played. Without that, they gotta do something, I suppose.
-Boss Llama

Grapedrink
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Grapedrink » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:34 pm

if you spat directly on the generator, it's stretch all the way to the health kits, and cover both doors into the building, and for a spot the survivors HAVE to go, the spread would just be too unbalanced. I also believe this map was designed more for realism versus than it was for versus, so throw in almost every survivor being constantly common locked, a spit that large on a crucial part of the map could solo wipe a team if it happened 2-3 times, and a spitter could get that spit without going into a spot where he can be shot