Survival!

Join TheVille's best fun-loving zombie experts as they reduce the number of infected!
l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Survival!

Post by l3eeron » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:18 pm

I've been messin around with survival mode when there aren't enough friends online for a versus game...

At first it's unimpressive, but after you learn the techniques for each of the levels it's actually pretty fun! Especially if you have 4 good survivors, the game builds up to be very intense as the clock ticks away. I usually end up starting a public game to get rid of any bots.

If you haven't tried it, and are interested, let me know. I know how to do 3 or 4 levels. We'll start up a game and have some fun! :D

Last night Alizee and I (along with 2 pubbers) got 14:30 at the motel. Which is well beyond the 10 minute gold rating. :cool:

kallous
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Survival!

Post by kallous » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:22 pm

I really dig survival. It's a fun way to get some zombie killing in without having to: Commit to a long game of vs or a campaign, and as you said, you don't have to get 8 folks together to make it happen! Only bummer is you don't get to be SI...
"There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently that which should not be done at all." - Peter Drucker

Fox_Blaze
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Fox_Blaze » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:30 pm

I'd like to try some survival with a group sometime. Sounds like fun. :D
Thanks Nerevarine King for the banner!
TVC '10-Hale's Angels (3rd place)
TVC '11-League of Evil Villuns (2nd place)[/spoiler]

Kerrigan
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Kerrigan » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:40 pm

I'd love to do survival mode, but I have L4D2 on xBox. I might want to get the PC version at a later time, but for now this console version is great.

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:42 pm

My problem with survival mode is if you actually plan to go for gold, it takes up to 20-30 minutes just to set the map up. This gets very annoying when you might only like for 5 minutes.

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:50 pm

In L4D I earned a few golds without that much setup, maybe 5 minutes, though we also had to try 4-5 times. Is L4D2 much harder to earn golds? I would think melee weapons would alleviate ammo issues a bit.

If people are lookling to get Survival games going, invite me, I'll definitely do it.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:25 pm

I don't know anything about the survival mode on original L4D, but I certainly enjoyed the L4D2 version. With four people that know what they're doing, set-up can be pretty quick. B showed me how to carry multiple guns/kits/etc so you could run with them, and that let us get things in place quite fast. The 14:30 survival on the motel was a heck of a match, with tanks coming every minute or so at first, and in pairs like every 30-45 seconds by the end.

We did the fairground concert thing as well, and managed 5:52 for a bronze despite the fact that the two pubbers with us spent all of set-up shooting each other with the grenade launcher trying to get to the roof, killing each other and burning our defib and some healthkits in the process, and both times we tried the level, they set off our flammables supply by shooting it (once, before the round even started).

All-in-all, not bad! A full team of dedicated people could set up quickly, and probably hold together pretty well. Dual pistols definitely seemed preferable to me to melee weapon, given that they have unlimited ammo, and can kill at range. There are so many things simultaneously attacking you that you don't want to be close to (tanks, jockeys, hunters, etc) that the ability to clean up the yard trash at range is far more valuable than instant point-blank kills. Idealy, they should never make it to point blank.
-Boss Llama

NoahTheBoa
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by NoahTheBoa » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:51 pm

I have never played survival, but it sounds fun.

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:06 pm

For some reason people never seem to want to play Survival. Feel free to invite me anytime, though :)
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

gator
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by gator » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:17 pm

That reminds me, I still have a lot of golds to get on the survival maps. I'd be up for it.

Meta and I played with one pubber a few weeks after L4D2 came out and he was insane, he knew exactly how to setup and position the team to get a gold time. Got golds on 3 different maps within the first one or two tries on each map. It was ridiculous.

TTHREAZ
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TTHREAZ » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:25 pm

Item juggling is definitely the key. :D

l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l3eeron » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:26 am

[quote="Kerrigan";p="236631"]
I'd love to do survival mode, but I have L4D2 on xBox. I might want to get the PC version at a later time, but for now this console version is great.
[/quote]

Hi Kerri!!! :hi:

long time no see, good to see you're still hangin around :D

Put down the evil console and get back on the PC!

...I'll be starting up some games tonight, I'll send invites.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:09 pm

[quote="l3eeron";p="236750"]
...I'll be starting up some games tonight, I'll send invites.
[/quote]

I'll be on after 2215 pacific, hit me up if you're still active.
-Boss Llama

Fano
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Fano » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:21 pm

Every time I've played survival with pubs they're always trying to do that grenade thing to get out of the map and rack up all the time without even fighting a thing....so boring, I'd like to get a match going legit, so hit me up :3