Ranked LFD1&2

Join TheVille's best fun-loving zombie experts as they reduce the number of infected!
Mr. Sticks
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Ranked LFD1&2

Post by Mr. Sticks » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:57 am

Kinda thought I would throw this idea around the ville to see what input I would get pro and neg for a ranking system in L4D...

My idea is simple I just would like to have a system where you can make a team and be matched by how well your team has done overall and not have to deal with alot of people that apply to all of the below...
A. Are just plain bad
B. Don't listen
C. Take advice as an insult
D. Little kids /shudder

Don't get me wrong I don't mind playing with people who are bad but when teamwork occurs even the baddies can help and make it a fun game = D

Just Ive been to tired of making a lobby with a friend or 2 and the other player on our team is HORRIBLE : /. They just don't listen and like to attack on their own thus the other survivors or infected can trounce your team with ease. It's like having a griefer on your team and nobody likes a griefer. Thus if a ranking system was implemented people could chose to play in the ranked category (or a random one) and if your in the ranked category you will be teamed up with other people of your skill as well as ones on the other team so its a fun and even match ;p

Thoughts?
[img]http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo182/poisoncontrol91/VilleSignature.jpg[/img]

mr_s
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by mr_s » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:45 am

typically, most of the players on THe Ville are of top notch in terms of teamwork, so if you add a couple more of them, I am sure you can get a nice long and entertaining game going

ShadyJane
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: Ranked LFD1&2

Post by ShadyJane » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:02 am

I completely understand your frustration. I’ve experienced similar events in recent games. I’ll have teammates who just don’t seem to grasp the fundamentals and it can be really annoying. However, I try to keep it in perspective. This game has only been out for a month and many people who play this one did not play that much of the original (exhibit A: me). The levels are new and expansive. The special infected have more diverse combinations and The Director can be a heartless fiend.

Sometimes when I see someone struggling with things like shoving or sticking together I’ll ask if they’re new. Usually it turns out that they are and I’ll do my best to help them develop a foundation of game play tactics. It usually never works but I do get that do-goody feeling in my belly for helping out a newb become less of a newb. Or maybe show them a good smoker spot or when to use the spitter, I dunno.

Of course if I’m playing against them as infected, I show no mercy.

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:41 pm

[quote="mr_s";p="214757"]typically, most of the players on THe Ville are of top notch in terms of teamwork, so if you add a couple more of them, I am sure you can get a nice long and entertaining game going[/quote]

I wouldn't exactly say top notch....

but they're better then pubbers.... much better.

gator
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by gator » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:46 pm

It makes games too complicated if you have to refer to some ranking guide to try and balance teams. As people get more game time in, the skills will develop and games should become more naturally balanced.

That said, you may want to look at the scavenge thread for some ideas people are tossing around for doing some rankings based on normalized stats.

There are some L4D2 stats available also in HLX:CE, although I'm not sure I'd rely on that as basis for any team picking.

Mr. Sticks
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Ranked LFD1&2

Post by Mr. Sticks » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:25 am

Oh yes I see the point of a do gooder feeling shady and I agree its just when your help isn't accepted/ignored that I get quite overwhelmed at the very least and rather than rage Ill tell the people in the game I have a college paper to write and hope the next group I join isn't quite as bad persay.

For Mr_s,
Yes I have taken my time into affect with Ville members such as winky betty and raven plus many more such as gator and the list goes on but I thank everyone I've played with.

And for my say on gators point I agree to an extent. Your right that ranks could keep people playing with more bad people but thats the point. I don't want the ranks to be permanent. The more games or whatever it is increases your rank and the more you lose the lower your rank. It would not be a permanent rank therefore. Not to mention it would be with a group a 4 people you like to play with. I don't know if Im hitting the right crowd with this but it would be similar to the arena system in world of warcraft. The more you win the better people you face.
[img]http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo182/poisoncontrol91/VilleSignature.jpg[/img]

sgt stutter
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by sgt stutter » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:50 pm

[quote="Guardian";p="214845"]I wouldn't exactly say top notch....[/quote]

I would. :coffee:
RIP-Trigger
RIP-Blue
RIP-Stevo