L4D2 Demo thoughts

Join TheVille's best fun-loving zombie experts as they reduce the number of infected!
Espada
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

L4D2 Demo thoughts

Post by Espada » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:55 am

At first I was pretty skeptical about this. In fact, I'd even say I fell into the "THIS NEEDS TO BE DLC!" group. But after playing the demo...this game is amazing.
The new zombie types really make it interesting. The Jocky seems like it could be a multiplayer favorite. The Spitter will be a tactical zombie with it's area denial. I can see many boomer/spitter sandwich attacks...that's gotta smell horrible.
Melee weapons really add a whole new deapth to things. They can really change the flow of the game in a pinch though.
The random generation of zombies is totally different than the L4D random generation. You might get a swarm out of nowehere. Rare zombies come around much more often. You can't just sit around and talk or clear an area and regroup because more zombies will come. This really changes the way the game is played and makes you change your tactics. Swapping a medkit for a defib paddle or an explosive for a jar of boomer bile is really a great way to change things up too.
The AI is a lot smarter in this one too. I just got out of a game where I got attacked by a Jocky and steered into a mob of common infected. My teammate shot the Jocky off but I was still in the middle of a mob. A couple of swipes with my machete and they were all dead. This is just a demo and such awesome situations are already possible. I can't wait for the drop later this month.
I'm not as fond of the characters, though. I instantly loved all 4 of the L4D cast. I find myself disliking the black woman and the redneck though. Coach, however, is going to be my favorite this time around.
What are your thoughts now that you've played the demo?

"He's like a guardian angel with a tan hat and a bushy beard!"

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:11 am

As far as the AI go, there are some problems with pathing. Many of the zombies will spend awhile climbing over a post instead of just walking around it.

As far as the characters go, I like all of em but the black girl. Maybe I just haven't heard enough of her sayings to know her yet.

shimmybot
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by shimmybot » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:00 am

Didn't get much of a chance to try, but I like

Espada
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Espada » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:12 am

I always end up shooting the poor black girl.

"He's like a guardian angel with a tan hat and a bushy beard!"

Oddjob
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Oddjob » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:24 am

After playing through the demo for the first time last night I am extremely enthused about L4D2. It takes everything about L4D and improves upon it.

I hope Valve goes back and does a fan update to include the original L4D content in L4D2 with some updates.

It would also be nice to see them reach out and help a community made campaign such as Dead Til Dawn and include it in a patch also like TF2 custom maps. Some of the newer weapons are a bit weak but the top end sniper rifle, the combat shotgun, and the bile containers are very nice.

Stevo
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun
Minecraft name: StevoTVR
Uplay name: StevoTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Stevo » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:47 pm

[quote="Oddjob";p="207130"]I hope Valve goes back and does a fan update to include the original L4D content in L4D2 with some updates.[/quote]
I believe they said somewhere that L4D2 would allow you to play the L4D campaigns.

Dirty Dan
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dirty Dan » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:23 pm

This game doesn't do much for me. Yeah it's innovative, but there's just not a whole lot of depth to the game.

DrunkenTrom
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: L4D2 Demo thoughts

Post by DrunkenTrom » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:24 pm

What would be really cool is if they added a campaign down the road that had all 8 survivors meet up and work together for a grand finale escape. I suppose it would have to be a huge wide open map for it to work having 8 players all controlling survivors. Maybe a huge military complex/air-force base, and at the end they could be airlifted to safety aboard an aircraft carrier after finding out the entire continent is overrun with zombies...

DrunkenTrom
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by DrunkenTrom » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:28 pm

[quote="Dirty Dan";p="207183"]This game doesn't do much for me. Yeah it's innovative, but there's just not a whole lot of depth to the game.[/quote]

I kinda agree. Although I love zombies and zombie movies/games, I really didn't care much for the versus mode in the first game. I loved the campaigns but you can only play through them so many times before you wish there was more to the experience. With that said I pre-ordered L4D2 anyway as I'm sure it will be fun for awhile.

Flobee
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flobee » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:51 pm

[quote="Dirty Dan";p="207183"]This game doesn't do much for me. Yeah it's innovative, but there's just not a whole lot of depth to the game.[/quote]

It's a demo.
where doing this man.
where MAKING THIS HAPEN.

Oddjob
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Oddjob » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:56 pm

I still find the Versus to be the most entertaining part of the L4D series. I am extremely excited with the new special zombies.

With it being 5 much more varied/larger campaigns with more paths it should keep me entertained for a while. Some of the new weapons are bleh but considering the larger amount of variety vs the original I am pleased.

Bronze Fox
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Bronze Fox » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:30 pm

I love the new AI, I've found a Charger waiting in a safe-house, and a Boomer standing next to a Smoker.
However, I'm sure I would get bored of it in a week, and thus, I shall wait for a sale.

Dirty Dan
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dirty Dan » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:39 pm

[quote="Flobee";p="207187"][quote="Dirty Dan";p="207183"]This game doesn't do much for me. Yeah it's innovative, but there's just not a whole lot of depth to the game.[/quote]

It's a demo.[/quote]

:lol: thanks flobee

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:40 pm

Well the demo has convinced me to pre-order it.

The jockey is going to be deadly in versus with nice coordination.

Cambietto
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Post by Cambietto » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:02 pm

Everything about the demo I like, especially the weapons. The characters are all right; I kinda warmed up to Coach and Rochelle—the black girl—but I'm not fond of Nick that much.

Now to pre-order L4D2. I really need to get my hands on that baseball bat and Bill's Hat.