L4D2 "banned" in Australia

Join TheVille's best fun-loving zombie experts as they reduce the number of infected!
Flobee
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

L4D2 "banned" in Australia

Post by Flobee » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:05 am

Lol.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/l ... d%E2%80%9D
Some of you, we’re sure, are probably exercising your God-given right to boycott Left 4 Dead 2 for whatever reason. Australia, though, totally has us Yanks beat. Over there, no one’s buying the game! Oh, what’s that you say? The game’s been “banned” in good ol’ Oz? That’s why they’re not buying it? Well then, that’s no good at all.

As it turns out, Left 4 Dead 2 was refused classification by Australia’s ratings board, the OFLC. Why? Because it’s too violent, apparently.

“The game contains realistic, frenetic and unrelenting violence which is inflicted upon ‘the Infected’ who are living humans infected with a rabies-like virus that causes them to act violently,” reads the OFLC de.scription of the game. “Attacks cause copious amounts of blood spray and splatter, decapitations and limb dismemberment as well as locational damage where contact is made to the enemy which may reveal skeletal bits and gore.”

As expected, Valve is a bit broken up about the whole mess.

“We were surprised to hear of this news yesterday,” Valve’s Doug Lombardi said. “Obviously, everyone at Valve is pretty bummed. It would be a shame if folks in Australia, or anywhere else, are unable to purchase Left 4 Dead 2 because of a ratings issue.”

Bummer indeed, Doug. Guess it’s time to start stuffing those zombies with marzipan and kittens instead of blood and bone. And maybe replace gunfire with the sound of children’s laughter. Yeah, that ought to do it.
Wasn't particularly excited about the game anyway, but as far as I know, this simply prohibits the game from being sold commercially within Australian stores. Not sure what would happen if I were to just purchase a copy through Steam.

We won't find out for a long time, though, because I'm not getting this game until it comes way, way down in price.
where doing this man.
where MAKING THIS HAPEN.

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Plinko » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:27 am

Steam will not allow you to buy a game if your IP is within borders where the game is not allowed to be sold. I ran into that problem with buying certain games in China. I know MMX has that problem periodically with games that can't be sold in Germany due to Nazi imagery contained therein.

I think MMX has found ways of getting the games he wants to play, should you decide you want L4D2 you can probably talk to him about that.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

Clay Pigeon
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: L4D2 "banned" in Australia

Post by Clay Pigeon » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:13 am

"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power tyrants and dictators cannot stand." - The prophet G'Kar

Rigges
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Rigges » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:37 am

LOL WEll if any of you Aussies what it I could try and buy it for you here and mail it to you LOL

But I wonder is your customs would Eat it???
Yes I am the one who Shot the Smiley Face Target for the Lethal Weapon Movie
RIP Winnie White Sister In-law 1952 - April 22 2010 58
Norma L. White Mother 20 Dec 1930 to 27 Aug 2011 81

Lucille C. Brueshaber Mother In Law 11 July 1922 to 13 Dec 2011 89
Mrs Rigges is very sad

Stevo
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun
Minecraft name: StevoTVR
Uplay name: StevoTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Stevo » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:24 am

MMX was able to bypass the restriction by having someone gift the games to him.

MMX
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MMX » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:45 pm

[quote="Stevo";p="195691"]MMX was able to bypass the restriction by having someone gift the games to him.[/quote]

^^ That's how it works, it matters where the game is bought not to which account it is related to.
[img]http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk247/StevoTVR/monorail_sig.jpg[/img]
- [url=http://tinyurl.com/ykkat36]Mechanical Mathematics Xenomorph[/url]
- local time zone: [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_European_Time]CET[/url] ([url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time]UTC[/url]+1), [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time]DST[/url]: [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CEST]CEST[/url] ([url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time]UTC[/url]+2)
- Signatures: [url=http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk247/StevoTVR/dodcup08/vov_sig_mmx.png]TheVille DoD Cup '08[/url]

!B a T m A n!
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by !B a T m A n! » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:48 pm

tricky tricky mmx :P

DrunkenTrom
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by DrunkenTrom » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:59 pm

[quote="MMX";p="195714"][quote="Stevo";p="195691"]MMX was able to bypass the restriction by having someone gift the games to him.[/quote]

^^ That's how it works, it matters where the game is bought not to which account it is related to.[/quote]

Also, correct me if I'm wrong MMX or Flobee, but it's my understanding that the game isn't banned outright in either Germany or Australia but rather that if your respective classification boards refuse to classify games with objectionable material(besides the Nazi imagery in Germany which is another topic altogether). And when a game is refused classification it is then prohibited from being advertised publicly(print ads/television and the like) as well as being displayed on store shelves. So basically this is retail suicide for a game on the consoles like the inevitable 360 version of L4D2 but shouldn't really effect the Steam version as it is a download and isn't advertised for the most part besides within Steam which is a closed proprietary format that side-steps retail completely. Again, correct me if I'm wrong you guys... Also I agree with Flobee that I wont be buying L4D2 until it at least hits half off on a weekend deal(I bought L4D at full price($49.99) about a week before it went on sale for $24.99 and I wont make that same mistake again especially since this really should have been DLC... /my 2 cents...

Rigges
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Rigges » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:54 pm

OK well I will Just Gift the Games to thought that want itin Astralia and Germany and they can get me some thing in return LOL
Yes I am the one who Shot the Smiley Face Target for the Lethal Weapon Movie
RIP Winnie White Sister In-law 1952 - April 22 2010 58
Norma L. White Mother 20 Dec 1930 to 27 Aug 2011 81

Lucille C. Brueshaber Mother In Law 11 July 1922 to 13 Dec 2011 89
Mrs Rigges is very sad

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Plinko » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:37 pm

Valve has a history of respecting what they are able to sell in various countries - so it's probable no one in Australia will be able to buy the game.

The other things you could do are log in while outside of Australia (or find someone to do it for you) then buy the game on your account. I've never had problems downloading or running games over Steam while in nations where I could nothave bought them.

I would bet you could spoof your IP address somehow using a proxy service as well though I've never used one before.

That said, Flobee seems uninterested in the game itself so I doubt these suggestions are helpful!
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

mr_s
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by mr_s » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:50 pm

lol.

well it didnt stop me from obtaining manhunt, it wont stop me from getting this game.

although i never wanted it in the first place

arfy4
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by arfy4 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:35 am

The German TF2 was censored for blood, but you can download a gore mod that makes it like the U.S. version. You can also leave the country, connect to a public internet service, and buy the games.

dredfox
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by dredfox » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:08 am

[quote="Plinko";p="195774"]

I would bet you could spoof your IP address somehow using a proxy service as well though I've never used one before.

[/quote]

I should be able to arrange this for fellow Villuns. Though it might take a little trial and error due to my limited networking skill.

[quote="arfy4";p="195826"]You can also leave the country, connect to a public internet service, and buy the games.[/quote]

Flobee might have a bit of trouble with this, unless he has a boat.

YevGenie
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by YevGenie » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:24 am

If any of the villuns want this game, I'm sure we can get them the game. I'll be happy to buy/gift the game for them, and have them pay me back via paypal or something of the sort.

Also....does the above mentioned mean that you cannot play Wolfenstien in Germany?

Archon
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Archon » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:13 pm

yev, the swastika is banned in germany and a number of other countries, so ww2 games (and any others that use nazi imagery) have to be altered be be allowed for sale in those countries. dod devs removed it from german flag models/textures in later versions of dod beta for same reason.
USER, n.: The word computer professionals use when they mean 'idiot.'