[L4D] Tips and Tricks

Join TheVille's best fun-loving zombie experts as they reduce the number of infected!
Rits
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Rits » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:40 pm

Lol at all of you. :lol:

metacide
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: [L4D] Tips and Tricks

Post by metacide » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:40 pm

When there is a Horde Rush coming at you, whether because you got Boomered or just because its just time for one, the best thing you can do is put your back to a wall, preferably a corner. Limit the ways they can come at you. I prefer the knock back method, its slower but there's less chance of killing your teammates and you can be sure to get all of the zombies in front of you, the spray on the uzi isnt always great.

Speed is your best friend. Shifty Devil, Vicarious and I did some speed runs during the demo, they always went way better than the "kill all the zombies and slowly advance" method. We ran killed what was in front of us, during a rush we put our back to a wall and held them off and then ran some more.

Against tanks, Nick had a great suggestion and it works really well. One thing I'll add is that Tanks climb and jump off things very slowly. So if you can manage it, getting one to jump up a small ledge then back down repeatedly works wonders.

Most of all, stay together. Dont rush off without the group, thats when smokers and hunters LOVE to strike.

Thorn
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Thorn » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:52 pm

A lesser known fact for people playing hunter.

You can continually jump off walls by jumping towards one wall, and then right when you touch the wall face a different direction and jump again. I am fairly certain that if you are fast enough, you can do this indefinitely assuming there are walls nearby

Rits
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Rits » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:39 pm

In the No Mercy campaign, when you are waiting for the elevator to come, go into the room on the right, it has a closet and all 4 go in there. The two in the back stand while the two in the front, crouch and melee/shoot the horde zombies.

This also works extremely well for the versus mode. The infected simply cannot get you because someone will always be meleeing. Learned this tidbit last night playing with Itchy and some random person.

Slipstream
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Post by Slipstream » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:54 pm

[quote="Rits";p="137453"]
In the No Mercy campaign, when you are waiting for the elevator to come, go into the room on the right, it has a closet and all 4 go in there. The two in the back stand while the two in the front, crouch and melee/shoot the horde zombies.

This also works extremely well for the versus mode. The infected simply cannot get you because someone will always be meleeing. Learned this tidbit last night playing with Itchy and some random person.
[/quote]

I am not some "random" person! :P
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/McMandy/TF2/TVBSlipstreamcopy.jpg[/img]
If you live like no one else, later you get to live like no one else.

Torven
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: [L4D] Tips and Tricks

Post by Torven » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:58 pm

Listen to the music; it's not just tanks, witches and hordes that get introduced by music. When a special infected spawns near you, it will play a brief set of notes on the piano; if they spawn further away, it is played on a stringed instrument (sounds like a bass guitar for the boomer, violin for the hunter, and violone for the smoker). You can find the sound files in Steam\SteamApps\common\left 4 dead\left4dead\sound\music\bacteria. If you are not familiar with them, they will sound like part of the background music.
'You might not have the intelligent to find it so i'll queto it for you' - Some guy trying to insult me on the Steam boards

Infusions
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Infusions » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:15 pm

[quote="Torven";p="140979"]
Listen to the music; it's not just tanks, witches and hordes that get introduced by music. When a special infected spawns near you, it will play a brief set of notes on the piano; if they spawn further away, it is played on a stringed instrument (sounds like a bass guitar for the boomer, violin for the hunter, and violone for the smoker). You can find the sound files in Steam\SteamApps\common\left 4 dead\left4dead\sound\music\bacteria. If you are not familiar with them, they will sound like part of the background music.
[/quote]

Oh!

I just listened to the Smoker one.

I was able to figure out the Boomer and Hunter one in-game since I would always hear those familiar sounds and suddenly THERE THEY ARE OH MY GOD KILL THEM.

I didn't know about the Smoker one though. I always figured that was just a random string of music added in the background to increase the intensity OR SOMETHING VALVE WOULD SAY LIKE THAT.

I also had no idea the area they spawned in changed the music that would play.
[url=http://lolschach.blogspot.com/][img]http://g.imagehost.org/0572/LOL_6.png[/img][/url]

Ian_Suffix
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Ian_Suffix » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:45 pm

What exactly is a violone? Some alternate name for the viola?

Torven
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Torven » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:26 pm

[quote="Ian_Suffix";p="140991"]What exactly is a violone? Some alternate name for the viola?[/quote]

Essentially it's a double base, but it is always bowed, never plucked. I just wanted to differentiate it from the Boomer, which sounds like a plucked bass.
'You might not have the intelligent to find it so i'll queto it for you' - Some guy trying to insult me on the Steam boards

BlackHawk
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BlackHawk » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:07 pm

Just make sure you have a plan
[flash width=425 height=344]http://www.youtube.com/v/Nddzf7kzjhI&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]
“I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.”
― W.C. Fields

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:22 am

[quote="BlackHawk";p="141016"]Just make sure you have a plan
[flash width=425 height=344]http://www.youtube.com/v/Nddzf7kzjhI&hl=en&fs=1[/flash][/quote]

:lol: