New Patch Content

Join TheVille's best fun-loving zombie experts as they reduce the number of infected!
Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

New Patch Content

Post by Boss Llama » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:29 pm

Just ran through a quick Dead Center single player campaign to make sure I remembered the basics of how to play, what with the new content. Figured this would be a good spot to put some commentary on new elements as we encounter them

I tried out two new guns - an MP5 and an AWM.

The MP5 is great. I'm guessing it's a tier 1 weapon (considered on par with the Uzi, for example), and as far as those are concerned, it immediately became my favorite. It carries 50 rounds, and has a slightly slower rate of fire than the other SMGs, so you don't waste ammo. The slower ROF isn't a problem, because it is very accurate, and it takes no more than a couple bullets to cut down a common at any range. Definitely a fan from its initial showing.

The AWM appears to be meant as a tier 2 rifle. It has a 20 round magazine and a high mag scope, but an ROF maybe half that of the Mini 14 or the magnum pistol. I'm not a fan of this from what I saw, because the shots also seem basically equivalent to a magnum pistol, just slower and harder to aim up close. It is not particularly worthwhile against specials, since again the magnum pistol seems to do the same damage but much more rapidly and without the difficulty aiming. It is highly accurate and long ranged, so I could see a niche use for an Expert campaign, where you want to clear even commons before entering an area, but otherwise I'll probably leave it in favor of something with rapid fire capability.

I encountered a pistol-slot melee weapon, in the form of a combat knife, but didn't try it out since I had a mag and I'm obsessed with those.

There are also new voice lines (I believe unlocked ones previously present, but not assigned), which were immediately evident throughout. Whitaker's speech at the gun shop was a lot longer than before, making it a bit annoying for a person who knows the map well and has played it a hundred times, but there's also some good banter to be had which is fun.

Hope to get a game going tonight :-D
-Boss Llama

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: New Patch Content

Post by Boss Llama » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:43 pm

Found another couple new guns tonight - looks like they've basically imported many of the Counterstrike weapons. The Scout is also in, as is the SG553. Didn't try the scout, but the SG is definitely up there. I don't think it'll replace the AK as my favorite, but it certainly slots in among the best assault rifles. It has a ludicrous rate of fire in normal mode, but you can still carefully tap it for single shots, or use more normal clicks for short bursts. If you use the "sight" it basically zooms your whole screen slightly, and you get a slower, more precise (but still fully automatic) firing rate, great for laying out DPS against big meaty targets - very much like in CS.
-Boss Llama

M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by M's » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:52 pm

Gave it a run. Not to impressed. But that's me. And it's somethng a little new.

Stevo
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun
Minecraft name: StevoTVR
Uplay name: StevoTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Stevo » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:32 pm

M's wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:52 pm
Gave it a run. Not to impressed. But that's me. And it's somethng a little new.
I looks more like they copied assets from CS and glued together some maps to make the new campaign. It's still an excuse to revisit the game for some fun coop and vs games!