A place to discuss all things to do with Insurgency
MrBlah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MrBlah » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:28 am

FYI gents, I know we all hate spawn camping and all, but based on the game engine, and how easy it is to kill an unassuming player with any weapon, spawn camping will exist.... I think its just a matter of server policing which no one likes to do very much, and certainly cant do 24/7.
Eater of Potatoes, since 2008.

I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Grubby
Villun
Villun

Post by Grubby » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:56 am

We don't rule the world!?!?!!? When did that happen? :P

Trinith
Villun
Villun
Loading…

Post by Trinith » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:53 am

[quote="Cujo";p="138546"]
We speak English in the Maritimes...Thank you ;)
[/quote]

Then you understand this...

Mr Fish
Mr No Fish!
Mr 2 Fish! C D B D I's?
Whale oil beef hooked! Mr Fish!

;)

Btw, you have no trace of a maritimes accent, Cujo, I call BS. My grandmother was from Nova Scotia and you have never once said "Lordie", "Warsh", or "God Luv Ya"

;)

Cujo
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cujo » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:18 pm

hahah I love to hear people say that... :) it was tough to hide it down here.. but when I drink..she comes out
I guess going to university down here helped, and the G/F ALWAYS saying.."What did you say"?
but my family does have a Scottish acc, when I go back home it's all comes back
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/Cujo_/userbar359213av7.gif[/img]

[i]Proud member of the[b][size=150][/i][color=red]=U[/color][color=white]S-[/color][color=red]V= [/color][/b] [/size]

Mongo
Villun
Villun
Loading…

Re: Insane spawn-camping in Ramadi

Post by Mongo » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:28 am

The spawn camping issue is easily handled. If the extra alley outside of C is removed from the map there would be no issues. Also it isn't to hard to have one person guard it. I don't think someone shooting down the street should be against the rules really. If your team is bad enough to let them walk up the alley then you probably wouldn't win anyways.

Most of the maps have multiple spawn exits and I always here people crying about spawn campers just to go out the same exit over and over and get killed. Unless they bring up enough people to block every exit which never happens it shouldn't be to hard to flank them real quick or simply ignore them and consider them one less enemy to deal with while capping points. This game is supposed to be realistic and realistically you should be worried about getting shot from anywhere. I also think if your team has capped a point they should be able to move forward to defend it, that's called a good strategy.

Although I think "spawn camping" can be a good strategy I also think that anyone who runs up to camp a spawn without a purpose should be banned.
[img]http://theville.hlstatsx.com/hlstats.php/sig/155520_random.png[/img]

Cujo
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cujo » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:45 am

All I'm gonna say about spawn camping is this... It clears out the server..or..people leave the U.S and hop on the INS side. It's NO fun getting shot 1-2 feet outside of spawn, esp when you have limited amount of spawns.
Plus.. and this is the funny part....
Last night Lava and I got to C. didn't cap it (went around) and started cleaning house (spawn camping) and didn't the other team just bitch at that... When in fact the other 3 rounds it was "O.K" for them to do it..from A and C. but god forbid "we" do it. Now I NEVER spawn camp.. I'm almost ALWAYS on the U.S side.. but that ONE time I did, just to show them how "fun" it was getting shot 1-2 feet from spawn...
Plus this map is not the worst map for spawn camping..oh god no...

[i]Proud member of the[b][size=150][/i][color=red]=U[/color][color=white]S-[/color][color=red]V= [/color][/b] [/size]

HarryMckay
Villun
Villun
Loading…

Post by HarryMckay » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:21 pm

I was reading the thread about Spawn (Exit) Camping on the official Insurgency forums, and I was all set to post something about my thoughts on the subject in it, when I realized I'd be agreeing with the last poster. Now the fact that he types like he failed grade 1 English really makes me not want to be on his side, and in fact makes me want to spawn-camp his ass until he gives up and goes back to school.

*ahem*

There is some interesting stuff in that thread, though. I wasn't aware that the mod was originally not available through Steam, which is where I first saw it. I also wasn't aware that this server appears to be FAR better managed by the staff (and the regular players; Cujo, Eagle, Trogdor, and everyone else) than the VAST majority of the other servers out there.

There is still the normal bitching by selfish kids who don't care about a game being fun for anyone but themselves, and reverse bitching by the hardcore (generally American servicemen) "players" (I hesitate to use that term because they're treating it like a job, not a game, and also appear to be extremely intolerant of any opinions other than their own) in response.

However, there's also some rational discussion on how the maps can be improved to discourage CS-kiddie behavior, such as increasing the number of exits from problematic spawns, moving spawns away from their corresponding objectives (*cough* Sinjar, Objective D *cough*) and ways to "discourage" your team-mates from camping spawns.

I'm just glad I found myself playing on this server than one of the servers with admins who actually promote their friends spawn-camping, or a server that auto-kills you if you happen to be in the location that becomes the opposing team's new spawn, when they cap an objective. So yes, spawn-camping sucks and those who do it should all burn in My Little Pony hell for all time for doing it, but we're pretty lucky here:)
Cat: Forget red - let's go all the way up to brown alert!
Kryten: There's no such thing as a brown alert, sir.
Cat: You won't be saying that in a minute!

[img]http://theville.hlstatsx.com/hlstats.php/sig/134556_random.png[/img]

Entity
New Villun
New Villun

Post by Entity » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:59 am

spawn camping works both ways on that map. it's not just the Ts (even though they do have the better vantage points), both sides have the opportunity. Teams that use their grenades properly won't even be caught in that situation.
[i]It's not always rainbows and butterflies
It's compromise that moves us along[/i]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v118/vi3t-sekciiness/avs%20and%20sigs/aznpridesig.jpg[/img]

Cujo
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cujo » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:39 am

[quote="HarryMckay";p="140828"] 1 English really makes me not want to be on his side, and in fact makes me want to spawn-camp his ass until he gives up and goes back to school.[/quote]

4 Years at the University of Michigan (pre-med) 5 years at Tufts Medical School.. Sorry "english " wasn't one of my strong points, and I was rushed between things at work.... But you know I love you Harry..(old fart) ;)
This map is NOT that bad.. If you have a sniper watching the left like I do, you have no problems. If you have teammates who know what their doing, with the weapons that they have, your good. The same could be said on ANY map.
My only "problem" map is Sinjar <-- sp? that map gives me colitis !!!

Trinith
Villun
Villun
Loading…

Post by Trinith » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:54 am

[quote="HarryMckay";p="140828"]... reverse bitching by the hardcore (generally American servicemen) "players" (I hesitate to use that term because they're treating it like a job, not a game, and also appear to be extremely intolerant of any opinions other than their own) in response.
[/quote]

Noticed that, did you? It's frustrating at times because it feels like if you're not in the military, your opinion doesn't matter. Much respect to the military men and women the world over, but I'm willing to bet no less than half of those folks chose that career path because it's easy. Ah well, grin and bear it.

[quote="Cujo";p="140899"]4 Years at the University of Michigan (pre-med) 5 years at Tufts Medical School.. Sorry "english " wasn't one of my strong points, and I was rushed between things at work.... But you know I love you Harry..(old fart) ;)
This map is NOT that bad.. If you have a sniper watching the left like I do, you have no problems. If you have teammates who know what their doing, with the weapons that they have, your good. The same could be said on ANY map.
My only "problem" map is Sinjar <-- sp? that map gives me colitis !!!
[/quote]

Mr Fish? (still waiting for someone to translate that :P)

I don't find Sinjar that bad... not for spawn camping. It's just that the objectives are freaking hard to take. For spawn camping, Ramadi and Karkar are the worst... Ramadi because the map is small and Karkar because everything funnels to the marine spawn. I still say a tunnel from marine spawn to the train tunnel on karkar would go a long way towards making that map less frustrating :D

Cujo
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cujo » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:43 am

lol .. where are you getting Mr.Fish?
Plus Sinjar..bad..........
RPG camps out at that rock, or behind a car/bus, or even the half wall. Waits for you to get to A, then boom. Besides B, the cap points are too small. Hell one nade can (and does) kill everyone in cap zone C.
A ??? they have that WHOLE hillside to drop down from, and if they do get killed.. pht wait 30 sec and back at it

HarryMckay
Villun
Villun
Loading…

Post by HarryMckay » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:48 pm

[quote="Trinith";p="140904"]Noticed that, did you? It's frustrating at times because it feels like if you're not in the military, your opinion doesn't matter. Much respect to the military men and women the world over, but I'm willing to bet no less than half of those folks chose that career path because it's easy. Ah well, grin and bear it.[/quote]

Actually, I'm starting to lose what little respect I had for American servicemen. Oh, I'm sure there are still many of the kind of soldiers who died at D-Day to save the world from tyranny, but today's troops seem more like those who got their jollies in the My Lai Massacre. There's a poster in that forum who has a signature about his sniping: "<something, something> my scope is cold, man or woman, young or old." Want to bet he wants civilian NPCs in the game so he can "accidentally" gun them down? And yes, I get the feeling a good portion of them these days are street punks who joined to get their hands on full-auto weapons (Hah! Eat sucky triple-burst M-16s, punks! :P) and not have to get a real education.

The problem is they want it to be ultra-realistic, with perfect physics, real combat environments, and no fun (well, maybe the fun of putting their hands in the mess that used to be a civilian's face?) Their position seems no less stupid than the CS-kiddies' who want to tea-bag in the opposing team's spawn for the "lulz." Neither side wants the game to be fun for anyone but themselves, and the rest of us are in the middle can only shake our heads and pity the devs who have to wade through this crap while looking for real feedback.

I really hope they continue to keep to their course of making a game that's fun to play, not a simulation that's impossible to win if you're the "Godless Arab scum who won't embrace mom & apple pie."

And Cujo, I'm talking about a guy who posts run-on sentences a paragraph long with maybe one instance of punctuation. The kind of stuff you learned about in elementary school. I'm not ragging on you for missing some capitals here or there :P

Cujo
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cujo » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:32 pm

Ohh. I thought you were talking about me. Anyways.
I hear you about the "hard core" players , but please don't post stuff about "today's troops" like that. Don't confuse 12-18 year old's posting on a war game forum, to the men and woman who will give up their lives.
I buried 3 of my friends in the past 5 years. One of them that was born 2 hrs after me in the same hospital, and followed me to the states, and joined the U.S army. The other 2 where highlanders from Nova Scotia.
Trust me I know what your saying. It pisses me off to, to see kids write crap like that down, but don't put down "American servicemen" because there are some that post in here

HarryMckay
Villun
Villun
Loading…

Post by HarryMckay » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:51 pm

[quote="Cujo";p="140977"]Ohh. I thought you were talking about me. Anyways.
I hear you about the "hard core" players , but please don't post stuff about "today's troops" like that. Don't confuse 12-18 year old's posting on a war game forum, to the men and woman who will give up their lives.
I buried 3 of my friends in the past 5 years. One of them that was born 2 hrs after me in the same hospital, and followed me to the states, and joined the U.S army. The other 2 where highlanders from Nova Scotia.
Trust me I know what your saying. It pisses me off to, to see kids write crap like that down, but don't put down "American servicemen" because there are some that post in here[/quote]

Actually, if you read the official Insurgency forums, you'll see that most of the actual American soldiers that post are extremely arrogant and condescending. I'm not talking about the kiddies pretending to be real soldiers. The guy who's a proud MP in the National Guard, that I replied to, for example (I know that the National Guard is a joke to the real soldiers, but still, there are many others in the Marines/etc. who post.) I wasn't really meaning to put them all down, but these guys who treat us "civilians" as garbage really give the services a bad name.

Cujo
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cujo » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:24 pm

I can see your point Harry, but for now , lets end this part of the conversation , if that's cool with you., and get back to what this thread was about. I don't want people to take anything the "wrong" way