dredfox
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Interest in a Warpath guide?

Post by dredfox » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:21 pm

I'm thinking about making a very detailed guide for Warpath. I would start with text and images and then add videos. This will end up being quite a task if I do everything I'm thinking about. Before I start though, I would like to know if there is any demand or need for a comprehensive guide. I may also need volunteers to let me spectate and record examples of (un)common strategies.

Examples of what I may include:
A defend/attack guide for each control point
Suggestions for each class. (i.e. engies should build here, spy shouldn't sneak around there, pyros watch this area...)
Proper use of the breakaway walls (surprise sentry/uber combo)
How to retake the second point.
An overall map with regions marked. (The fence, corridor to CP2/4, the breakaway wall etc.)

If this works well I may do other maps too. Warpath is just my favorite and it's easily accessible with the 24/7 server.

So what do you all think?
Any suggestions or is this just a bad idea?

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:24 pm

I dunno, since you can only play it on the 24/7 server, won't most players be incredibly familiar with every detail of WP2?

On the other hand, as a player who hasn't been able to get into it, such a guide might get me interested.

Also, in before this degenerates into a series of posts saying 'avoid N@VX/PhantomFighter' or somesuch.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

Gizanked
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Gizanked » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:26 pm

i'd be interested to see it, and if you really feel like speccing me, go ahead
http://www.tf2items.com/id/evagizanked
the artist formerly known as Replica

dredfox
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by dredfox » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:38 pm

[quote="Plinko";p="127605"]I dunno, since you can only play it on the 24/7 server, won't most players be incredibly familiar with every detail of WP2?

On the other hand, as a player who hasn't been able to get into it, such a guide might get me interested.

Also, in before this degenerates into a series of posts saying 'avoid N@VX/PhantomFighter' or somesuch.[/quote]

Most player should be familiar, but there are always some new players, and there are some who just never cared for this map for one reason or another. My ultimate goal is to make the map more accessible for these players, to help new players and maybe change the minds of the others.

Also, I avoid N@VX when he is on the other team, but I hunt down and target PhantomFighter. Few things help a team as much as making a star medic lose his charge.

Nick Mame
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Interest in a Warpath guide?

Post by Nick Mame » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:51 pm

Pah! I'll never become a fan of 24-person Warpath.

I wouldn't recommend the project. A lot of the people who come to these forums are familiar enough with the game to not need map-specific guides. Class guides might be useful since people could specialize in a single class and need help getting into another... but a map can be learned with one or two matches.
Interested in custom maps? Join the [url=http://steamcommunity.com/groups/tvii][u]TV2 Seeding Group[/u][/url]!

l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l3eeron » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:55 pm

I think it's a noble gesture, but I think the only people that would read it are already pretty intimate with the map, so it might not be worth all the work.

I will say, that if you're going to make videos, it would be good practice for making demos and such! :)

dredfox
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by dredfox » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:50 pm

[quote="l3eeron";p="127622"]
I will say, that if you're going to make videos, it would be good practice for making demos and such! :)[/quote]

Very true, that was another reason for me to undertake a project like this. The comments left suggest that maybe I should rethink this topic. Unless there are specific requests, I will put this on hold and think of another project to keep me busy.

prometheus
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Post by prometheus » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:59 pm

Agreed, from a quick glance at the global server list only 4 are running warpath or warpath2. Your time might be better spent making a guide for a more popular map, but one that isn't beat to death (read: not dustbowl).

Better still as Mame recommends, class guides. There are many skills and tactics everyone should know to be decent at any class or likewise how to defeat that class. I'm good at a couple, but there are others where I am atrocious. Experienced players as well as newbies could benefit from a well done guide; nothing super-1337, say 3 important tactics for each class, and boil them down to their essence.

Cpt. Winky
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt. Winky » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:29 pm

there are actually a few of these, but any new input is always welcome as no one person knows all the tactics or class angles. I think spy, pyro, and sniper(?) have already been done. feel free to make your own.

:icon_heart: RIP TW 1954 - 2008

Thorn
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Thorn » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:56 am

I think it would be a fun project, I am not sure how much people who play the map will get out of it, but its always a fun read, and it might be fun for people to put in their 2 cents

mr_s
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by mr_s » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:00 am

[quote="l3eeron";p="127622"]
I think it's a noble gesture, but I think the only people that would read it are already pretty intimate with the map, so it might not be worth all the work.

[/quote]

sadly this is too true

i would be honored to be spec'd

good idea mate, but as it has been said, warpath aint that common

I love it coz i get to pwn so mucn and get pwned so much

Greyed
Villun
Villun
Loading…

Post by Greyed » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:56 am

Might be a good question to ask here. Is building on top of the 2nd point allowed? I'm pretty sure demo and soldiers jumping up there is ok but every time an engie gets up there there have been calls, on both teams, that it isn't kosher.
[url=http://stats.theville.org/hlstats.php?mode=playerinfo&player=22614][img]http://stats.theville.org/sig.php?player_id=22614&background=random[/img][/url]

Infusions
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Infusions » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:22 am

[quote="Greyed";p="128898"]
Might be a good question to ask here. Is building on top of the 2nd point allowed? I'm pretty sure demo and soldiers jumping up there is ok but every time an engie gets up there there have been calls, on both teams, that it isn't kosher.
[/quote]

You mean on top of the roof of the point?

There have been quite a couple of times I joined Warpath and sometimes, the sentries were up there, and it seemed perfectly fine. I mean, regardless, you had to get an ubered demo to take it out, like most of the sentry placements on there (Rare chance a Spy might get it if the Engie knows what he's doing), so I don't see why not.
[url=http://lolschach.blogspot.com/][img]http://g.imagehost.org/0572/LOL_6.png[/img][/url]

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:01 am

I think the point 2 roof sentry was discussed recently in another thread. I am not a fan, but I am pretty sure the consensus was that it's kosher and that the map designer left a buildable area at the edges on purpose.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

Greyed
Villun
Villun
Loading…

Post by Greyed » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:18 am

[quote="Plinko";p="128905"]I think the point 2 roof sentry was discussed recently in another thread. I am not a fan, but I am pretty sure the consensus was that it's kosher and that the map designer left a buildable area at the edges on purpose.[/quote]

If you could give a cite I'd love it. I play Warpath from time to time and when I'm in the Engie role I'd like to know for certain it's kosher before heading up there myself
[url=http://stats.theville.org/hlstats.php?mode=playerinfo&player=22614][img]http://stats.theville.org/sig.php?player_id=22614&background=random[/img][/url]