Yahoo's Spy Guide

A place to discuss strategies and methods of playing
Greyed
Villun
Villun
Loading…

Re: Yahoo's Spy Guide

Post by Greyed » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:58 am

[quote="Guardian";p="128837"]Also the best trick he teachs is a illision trick, it has saved my butt many many times.[/quote]

It was either you or Gruel as a pyro that got fooled by it once on Dustbowl. I was so proud as it was the first time I had ever actually thought to do anything in his videos and succeeded.
[url=http://stats.theville.org/hlstats.php?mode=playerinfo&player=22614][img]http://stats.theville.org/sig.php?player_id=22614&background=random[/img][/url]

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:04 pm

[quote="Greyed";p="128899"][quote="Guardian";p="128837"]Also the best trick he teachs is a illision trick, it has saved my butt many many times.[/quote]

It was either you or Gruel as a pyro that got fooled by it once on Dustbowl. I was so proud as it was the first time I had ever actually thought to do anything in his videos and succeeded.[/quote]

It fools ANYONE, I even tricked Nick Mame as a sniper once while he was chasing me as a spy never backstabbed him though.

Greyed
Villun
Villun
Loading…

Post by Greyed » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Oh my intent was not "HAWHAW, fooled you!" It was, "Hey I learned something" and someone with a G in their as a Pyro was there and shared that moment with me. Even complimented me on my sneakiness. :D I apologize if you felt it was meant the other way.
[url=http://stats.theville.org/hlstats.php?mode=playerinfo&player=22614][img]http://stats.theville.org/sig.php?player_id=22614&background=random[/img][/url]

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:15 pm

[quote="Greyed";p="129050"]Oh my intent was not "HAWHAW, fooled you!" It was, "Hey I learned something" and someone with a G in their as a Pyro was there and shared that moment with me. Even complimented me on my sneakiness. :D I apologize if you felt it was meant the other way.[/quote]

It didn't I'm just pointing out you should use it more often. However I don't remember being fooled by a spy.... named Greyed. Infy can sometimes fool me... if I'm having a bad day... and she's lucky... and I'm half-asleep...

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:25 am

Yahoo you should also note in your guide how powerful the revolver is.

If you can't stab and sap an engy because he's a bit too paranoid and your losing hope. Go to an angle behind the sentry where the sentry can't shoot you. First take out the dispenser first so the engy can't get metal then quickly shoot the sentry like crazy. Even if the engy charges you, you can still take out the sentry fast enough and cloak away. The only time this doesn't work is if someone else is nearby and attacks you. I killed a sentry about 3 times in a row using this tactic and eventually made the engy switch classes :D .

I also find it useful on snipers who know your coming and will slash you if you get too close, if you stay a fair distance from him, he is screwed.

Angry.Red
New Villun
New Villun

Post by Angry.Red » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:51 pm

Good stuff. I won't comment on how many times I've been Yahoo's victim.

My biggest issue right now is the timing between uncloaking and being able to stab someone. I constantly get too close to an enemy and uncloak behind him only for him to turn around and wax me before I'm able to attack him.

Yahoo!!
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Yahoo!! » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:22 am

Made a few changes to reflect the update.

Spy is now a true power house. The fixing of the backstab animation is HUGE. Pyros value has increased five fold now.

Buzzy Beetle
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Buzzy Beetle » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:37 am

*wimpers as she is soon to be turned into a pin cushion*
I proudly support Independent Developers, Local Businesses, and SNAILGOSH.

l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l3eeron » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:40 am

Ya know, I know most of that stuff (out of lessons learned by being stabbed over n over), but actually using the knowledge effectively is near impossible for me! :lol:

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:44 pm

hmmm I have an idea for a truely evil tactic but I'm not gonna tell you until I try it.

See if you can figure it out.

dredfox
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by dredfox » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:58 pm

[quote="Yahoo!!";p="155571"]Made a few changes to reflect the update.

Spy is now a true power house. The fixing of the backstab animation is HUGE. Pyros value has increased five fold now.[/quote]

Playing Badwater was difficult as engie, Spies were tearing down my stuff as soon as I could rebuild. I finally had enough, went pyro and practically ordered the other pyros to help me protect our lone sentry. We must have stopped a few dozen attempts to take the roof. Fire was everywhere and invisible men were roasting. Now I see what career pyros enjoy about the class.

pmag069
Villun
Villun
Loading…

Post by pmag069 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:51 am

[quote="Infusions";p="118139"]Unless I'm behind enemy lines, I usually always disguise as a friendly. I do it for many reasons:

5. During setup time so the enemy won't know I'm a spy. Of course, I'm sure everyone now-a-days does this too.[/quote]

Sorry to say infusion but as soon as i see u on server i know that ur a spy and start to get paranoid. (Especially since i like to play sniper)

Infusions
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Infusions » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:16 am

[quote="pmag069";p="161913"]
[quote="Infusions";p="118139"]Unless I'm behind enemy lines, I usually always disguise as a friendly. I do it for many reasons:

5. During setup time so the enemy won't know I'm a spy. Of course, I'm sure everyone now-a-days does this too.[/quote]

Sorry to say infusion but as soon as i see u on server i know that ur a spy and start to get paranoid. (Especially since i like to play sniper)
[/quote]

Ell oh ell.

That post is actually kinda old, I've changed tatics to immediately disguise as the enemy when I run out so I'm able to see their health in case I run into an enemy.
[url=http://lolschach.blogspot.com/][img]http://g.imagehost.org/0572/LOL_6.png[/img][/url]

Refuel
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Refuel » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:55 am

Do any of you spies out there get buffed while in disguise first before making your run to make it appear that you have full, instead of half health?

Also i don't spy often but i've had some luck changing the visible weapon while disguised to fool the enemy more. I've noticed people are less prone to spy check you if you change weapons while in view of them.

Zwiffle
Villun
Villun

Post by Zwiffle » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:33 pm

I still don't know how to change weapons when disguised as spy, I think it's just changing what weapon I have then re-disguising (I also don't know the shortcut for quick disguising.) I never seem to need to use it.

If possible, I would like someone to write up a short little tut on the kind of havoc a pair of spies can cause. For example, and I've tried to do this many times, one spy runs right up to sentry, sapping it and drawing the ire of everyone paying attention, while a second spy quietly sneaks behind and takes everyone out while the SG is sad. Two spies can cause a TON of paranoia if they're a good team.

Another thing that a lot of spies probably know about and wish others knew about is not to draw attention ot a spy. If a spy is hiding behind a corner and you're in a fire fight, don't run to that corner! Try to distract those people so the spy can get behind them, potentially saving you both. I don't know how many times I've been betrayed by my own team this way.

Anyway, good write up, not a ton of new info really, but still very true.