Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by shimmybot » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:22 pm

[quote="iOwn-";p="118708"]
[quote="Yahoo!!";p="118127"]
-Getting ubered by an enemy medic is always a treat. Despite the fact it instantly reveals you (you glow the color of your team). It gives you temporary immunity and of course, the medic wastes his uber on you.
[/quote]
i believe you only glow your teams color if your team sees you

so say a blue medic ubers a red spy, only red players would see the red.

A great way ive figured out how to do this which works especially well on warpath is go pyro or anything that would seem to destroy your base and find the medic with uber. try and get him to heal you (yell medic or just like walk in front of him and wait for him to heal you) then start moving out and if hes still healing you then go at it! most of the time they will uber you, at least for me :D
[/quote]

No, they uber their teams color. I've seen a spy on the other team get ubered, it's helarious.

Pine
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Yahoo's Spy Guide

Post by Pine » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:05 pm

hmm..
cuz i was ubered once thru a full uber the medic never switched targets ...

prometheus
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Post by prometheus » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:38 pm

I think I've gotten MUCH better at being anti-spy since dealing with you, Yahoo :P The one thing that usually gets me is backing into a spy, typically when retreating to get health or fleeing an uber.

Something that I occasionally try to do is go spy for a while to get the enemy a little paranoid then switch back. I don't think this really works, because if you have to deal with an annoying/good (depends on POV :D) spy, you'll notice real quick when they start killing people with, say, a sniper rifle. If you suck, nobody really noticed or cares in the first place.

Ubering a spy:
[video width=400 height=350]http://www.youtube.com/v/DDQrAMu-UUI&hl=en&fs=1[/video]
Red spy disguised appears red (to a red teammate). Doesn't really answer the question, but it's a fun video :)

shimmybot
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by shimmybot » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:14 am

I could just be wrong :P

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:39 am

This is a great guide. I have just started to try out playing spy recently and it is really really hard. So far I really just swap out of it when as a pyro there are defenses I cannot possibly get past and we have no spies, so I suit up to take those down and go back. You really have to have a great grasp of key combos (or macros!) to swap between disguises and weapons efficiently to be a good spy, do you have any tips on how to do that best (like whats the best way to cycle through the stab/sap)?

One nitpick:

-Now, the ultimate treat for a spy is the clearcut. This is when enemies are unaware, completely lined up in a closed hallway. This only happens on extremely rare occasions, but is just awesome to behold because no other class can do it.
[/quote]

Not true, a backburner pyro can find a big line of guys from behind and tear through them just as or more quickly as he'll take even an overhealed heavy down in 3 seconds and most other classes in 1. I've cleared 4-5 enemies in a narrow hall this way before on several occasions.
It's just harder to actually get behind those guys without disguises or cloaking!
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

Yahoo!!
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Yahoo!! » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:41 am

[quote="Plinko";p="127497"]This is a great guide. I have just started to try out playing spy recently and it is really really hard. So far I really just swap out of it when as a pyro there are defenses I cannot possibly get past and we have no spies, so I suit up to take those down and go back. You really have to have a great grasp of key combos (or macros!) to swap between disguises and weapons efficiently to be a good spy, do you have any tips on how to do that best (like whats the best way to cycle through the stab/sap)?

One nitpick:

-Now, the ultimate treat for a spy is the clearcut. This is when enemies are unaware, completely lined up in a closed hallway. This only happens on extremely rare occasions, but is just awesome to behold because no other class can do it.
[/quote]

Not true, a backburner pyro can find a big line of guys from behind and tear through them just as or more quickly as he'll take even an overhealed heavy down in 3 seconds and most other classes in 1. I've cleared 4-5 enemies in a narrow hall this way before on several occasions.
It's just harder to actually get behind those guys without disguises or cloaking![/quote]

Ok here is how it works.

Q is your best friend, or a wicked scroll wheel on the mouse. This is how I work my disguises. I do wish I could create a macro that would rotate between demo, pyro, sniper and engineer to ensure proper rotation. But really, if you are struggling too much, do not bang your head against the wall. Switch classes. I do it, and I am not ashamed to say that there times when being a spy is not worthwhile.

The clearcut is very hard as a pyro, very easy to get mowed down from behind because you really do not have the element of surprise like a spy. But, if it works, then by all means go for it.

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:43 am

[quote="Yahoo!!";p="118127"]-Now, the ultimate treat for a spy is the clearcut. This is when enemies are unaware, completely lined up in a closed hallway. This only happens on extremely rare occasions, but is just awesome to behold because no other class can do it.
[/quote]

My Pyro and his backburner and axtiguisher disagree with you. I've cleared groups of ememies with the backburner (back when I used it often) and it's just as satifying.

Anyways about the spy thou.

One thing I didn't notice you meantion is talking. It's when you decloak after getting behind an ememy while following him and wait to catch up to him or when he stops for something at which point well you know what to do. Even if he turns around.

Also I find discuises work to a certain point my rule of thum is. Moving forward works, moving backwards gives you away. If you stop your also in danger.

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:58 pm

I consider it a good day when I am able to shut down yahoo...it has happened twice...ever in my history...it is because of yahoo i have developed my figure 8 pattern in the center cap area of warpath running from entrance to entrance constantly burning...

I now no longer plan my path for quickest access to the front line...I plan my path for most ammo on the way...and burn my way up to the line
CG6505 CPT Nelson LCDR Wischmeier AST1 Skimin AMT2 Nichols-4SEP08
CG1705 LCDR Barnes LT Bryant AMTC Seidman AET2 Grigonis AET2 Beacham AMT2 Moletzsky AMT3 Kreder-29OCT09
CG6017 LT Krueger AMT1 Hoke AMT2 Banks-07JUL10
CG6535 LCDR Taylor LTjg Cameron ASTC Jorge AET3 Knight-29FEB12
WPB87340-2 BMC Terrell Horne-2Dec12
WMSL751 BM3 Obendorf-18DEC13

Greyed
Villun
Villun
Loading…

Post by Greyed » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:45 pm

[quote="Plinko";p="127497"]You really have to have a great grasp of key combos (or macros!) to swap between disguises and weapons efficiently to be a good spy, do you have any tips on how to do that best (like whats the best way to cycle through the stab/sap)?[/quote]

For me it is just getting used to the keys and getting really fast at it. Practice, practice, practice. I was grumpy with switching weapons but now I'm good with it. Disguises, same thing. Though what I do is I choose a disguise in my spawn then swing my knife to turn it off. Once I get close to the front line I just hit B (last disguise) and voila! In the thick of things I'll use last disguise. Once I'm out of site I'll change to a new disguise. I don't have a standard rotation. I just pick what is appropriate (Pyro/demo up near the front, engie/sniper near the rear) or whatever I just killed/was killed by if it is one of those 4.

BTW, Yahoo!, might want to describe what Q is. Q here is "duck". Since keys can be remapped saying what key you use probably won't translate over well. ;)
[url=http://stats.theville.org/hlstats.php?mode=playerinfo&player=22614][img]http://stats.theville.org/sig.php?player_id=22614&background=random[/img][/url]

Greyed
Villun
Villun
Loading…

Post by Greyed » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:47 pm

Oh, and I know I'm going to regret this as an engineer but if anyone is serious about spying they have to watch all 3 parts of OMFGNinja's advanced spy guide on Youtube. The stuff he pulls is :shock: .
[url=http://stats.theville.org/hlstats.php?mode=playerinfo&player=22614][img]http://stats.theville.org/sig.php?player_id=22614&background=random[/img][/url]

l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l3eeron » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:02 pm

[quote="Greyed";p="128052"]
OMFGNinja's advanced spy guide on Youtube. The stuff he pulls is :shock: .
[/quote]

:shock:

Yahoo!!
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Yahoo!! » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:02 pm

I don't ever claim to be as good as that ninja guy is. I am in awe in his timing on the jump stab and his ability to take down sentry guns. I can often be clumsy and either land to early or late. I do however nail it once perfectly that I actually fell out of my chair. I also do poorly against sentry guns if they are setup properly.

I would offer this advice to some of you aspiring spies.

-Spamming rockets/flames and such is such a great way to get spies. It just happens to get me quite a bit.
-It is hard to put in words what I do. I often try to say it, but there are times where I just happen to pull off something really awesome, but no one sees it (duh, I am a spy). Of course, lots of it happens to be luck. Better to be lucky than good.
-The one thing you have to remember with videos. They usually pull out the amazing stuff and edit out the bad mistakes. For every single amazing move he does, there could be 5 outtakes of him getting squashed. He is though, still very informative and a definite look for anyone that has a basic grasp of spy but needs a leg to the more advanced level. I just wanted to tell people what I see and how I play.
-I am not entirely against disguising as a friendly. There is nothing wrong with it, its just that in my personal opinion, it proves to be ineffective because you still get shot at. I do like surprising people as a heavy only to redisguise as one of them.

Sorry about Q. For most people its the default key that allows for a quick switch of weaponry. Very handy if you need to do a stab and sap. Essentially, Q is your quick switch key.

Greyed
Villun
Villun
Loading…

Post by Greyed » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:04 am

<Johnny Carson>
I did not know that!
</Johnny Carson>

Thanks!

shimmybot
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by shimmybot » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:13 am

I watched ninja's videos and cried a little bit :lol:

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:00 pm

The leaping stab isn't so hard actually. I've pulled it off on higher ledges before on slower moving targets (or targets not moving). Some of the things he pulls off like the jumping off the top of the stairs to backstab a scout chasing him is crazy thou. However I've noticed the players he's playing against in those videos aren't as spy paranoid as the players in the ville. They generally were easily fooled by him.

Also the best trick he teachs is a illision trick, it has saved my butt many many times.