Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Hints and Tips for playing TF2

Post by Dog » Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:10 pm

These are from Steam forums...do we have others?

General Tips
- You can tell what level a sentrygun is by listening to how fast it beeps. The higher the level, the faster it beeps.
- If you're playing defense near your team's engineers, keep an ear out for the engineers yelling out that their equipment is getting sapped. If you're nearby and you act quickly, you'll be able to spot and kill the spy responsible while the engineers scramble to save their equipment.

Heavy
- When you right click with the Heavy's minigun it starts spinning without firing so you can prepare to attack faster.
- You can right click with the Heavy's melee to punch with his right hand and left click to punch with his left, occaisionally throwing an uppercut(Critical hit).
- A good way to catch your opponent off guard is to jump around a corner and start winding up your gun in midair. Right after you land, you'll start shooting.

Spy
- When using your team's teleports, blue/red essence will be flowing from you for about 5 seconds. So remember to wait for it to go away if you're a spy!
- As a disguised spy if you see an enemy medic yell out for assistance. Not only will he heal you if you're injured, but you'll look more convincing to the rest of his team if they see you paired up. When you yell for a medic when you are disguised, it will show up in their chat as the person you are imitating calling for the medic.
- As a spy, you can be healed by the enemy team's dispensers.

Demoman
- Demomen can jump a lot higher than soldiers can with their rocket jumps. Use your sticky bomb, place it on the ground, then run and jump and right click to detonate your bomb and go flying into the air. To explosive-jump properly, you crouch-jump and then detonate.
- When solely defending, place your sticky-bombs where they'll still be effective, but the enemy won't see them. Like around a door frame rather than cluttering on the floor in the doorway.
- Holding down primary fire on the sticky bomb will 'charge' the gun. The longer it's charged, the further the bomb will travel. There is a white bar under the ammo indicator showing the power building.
- An effective strategy is to place sticky bombs in highly visible places. If you are effective at playing the demoman, this will have a very significant demoralizing effect on the other team. People will start to avoid the area at all costs and send a squad of people to deal with you. This is in contradiction with hiding the stickies for defense, but both work well.

Engineer
- Jump on top of your dispenser or sentry to reach higher levels in the area to build sentries or teleporter exits in safer/more strategic areas.
- As an engineer, press secondary fire to rotate any blueprint you may have out. Your teleport exit also has a direction people will exit it from, its located on the blue print (look for the arrow). Rotate the exit so people are facing the action, not away from it.

Pyro
- If you're a Pyro and fight an enemy Pyro they will not stay on fire and will not continue to get hurt after you hit them with your flamethrower.
- The pyro's flamethrower makes an effective door blockade. You'll burn a bit of ammo on nothing, unless an enemy gets close - then hes a crispy critter, but no one will want to go through the door way and will give your team a chance to assist/respawn.

Sniper
- When you're sniping, other players can see your dot, so try and position it on a surface they can't see so they won't be expecting your shot.

Medic
- Your UberCharge bar fills up faster while healing teammates who are already injured and not maxed out at 150% health.
- You don't have to be looking at your target to be healing them, so watch your back for Spies and enemy flanking maneuvers.
- The needles from your needlegun drop down fast after being shot so make sure to aim way over your target's head and to lead your target when shooting at them from any kind of length.

Soldier
- To get maximum height out of your rocket jump, crouch-jump almost immediately before you fire the rocket beneath you.

Map Specific Tips
- As a demoman/soldier on Hydro, you can get onto the top of the roof guarding point B. This is a great place to go because the enemy will rarely look up, even if they are getting killed by you. There is no health/ammo up there though, so be careful.

Red Seal
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Hints and Tips for playing TF2

Post by Red Seal » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:48 pm

im new to TF i have no idea as to wut ur talking about. i just try and follow someone i do know that i hate the spy class

l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l3eeron » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:38 pm

[quote="StrontiumDog";p="45170"]
Medic
- Your UberCharge bar fills up faster while healing teammates who are already injured and not maxed out at 150% health.
- You don't have to be looking at your target to be healing them, so watch your back for Spies and enemy flanking maneuvers.
- The needles from your needlegun drop down fast after being shot so make sure to aim way over your target's head and to lead your target when shooting at them from any kind of length.[/quote]

- The needle gun costs uber to shoot
- Shooting an enemy doctor with the needle gun will drain his uber (I beleive only if you shoot needles loaded with your own uber)
- You can switch players while uber
- Dont "double heal" unless its absolutely necesary
- The bone saw rules!

* Tip for all the other players - Protect your medic!

DeafOfficeWorker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by DeafOfficeWorker » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:49 pm

[quote="Red Seal";p="45185"]i do know that i hate the spy class[/quote]

:D
[img]http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s68/pootleshooter/kpsdow.gif[/img]

John Doe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by John Doe » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:50 pm

New tip!

Avoid JD, if you see him he can see you and he will kill you! Its best to turn and run when you see JD, theres a chance he hasnt seen you and you will survive longer.

So remember, if you see JD, run, dont stop and fight, turn tails and run!!!!

RUN RUN RUN!!!

If JD cant kill you then he will get grumpy and go play something else like peggle or DOS:S.

Red Seal
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Red Seal » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:25 am

funny i have not seen JD yet????

- You can switch players while uber an how does one do that l3eeron

erba_knoff
New Villun
New Villun

Ville Awards

Post by erba_knoff » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:13 am

Your guns are autoreloaded by the respawnlocker... fastest way of filling up uber would be by healing a soldier standing by the locker and constantly shoting into the wall.

Edit: Ofcourse you have to move away from locker when shoting yourself or it will give you full health again.
Last edited by erba_knoff on Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mujo
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by mujo » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:31 am

- Pyro's are the best anti-spy system available. Use with diligence near engineers and their sentries. One quick burst of flame into a "friendly" will turn that would-be spy into crispy chicken. Spy checking should be regular, not an option. Defenses are broken by a single spy, opening up to an attack on a Control Point. So Pyros, keep spy-checking.

- Spys: Don't just stand around in the enemies base. People like me look out for that and spy-check. Make yourself as inconspicuous as possible. Keep moving.

- Everyone: If you see enemy sticky bombs sitting around, STOP! Only ONE person should go and sacrifice him/herself for the team. Too many times I see WHOLE TEAMS run right into the sticky death trap. This should not be so.

- Medics: Don't just follow/heal that Heavy guy, give us other classes a break. I understand you're working for that Uber defense-crushing charge. However, some of your teammates are dying because you'll only heal the heavy. This should not be so. Keep an open mind when dealing out health to the masses.

This concludes mUj0's daily TF2 rant/advice.
Adversities do not make a person weak, they reveal what strength he has. -Kierkegaard

[img]http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t51/l3eeon/mujosig.jpg[/img]

l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l3eeron » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:29 am

[quote="mujo";p="45235"]
- Medics: Don't just follow/heal that Heavy guy, give us other classes a break.[/quote]

absolutely...

I dont know how many times (when Im medic) and Im calling for the other medic on my team and he just wont stop healing the HW even tho the HW is at 150% and Im at 10%!!!

DeafOfficeWorker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by DeafOfficeWorker » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:31 am

mujo brings up a good point. You don't start over to charge your uber just because you start healing another player. You can heal multiple teammates and build uber.

His theory regarding "spy-checking" is pure rubbish. You should be in the front fighting the enemy. :twisted:
[img]http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s68/pootleshooter/kpsdow.gif[/img]

l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l3eeron » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:42 am

[quote="Red Seal";p="45224"]
- You can switch players while uber an how does one do that l3eeron
[/quote]

(while uber) Just release the mouse, and start healing the guy you want and he'll be uber-ized!

Gizanked
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Gizanked » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:29 am

disguised spies always show the primary weapon so if you see a member of your team with a shotgun or melee out..or even if they are switching weapons... don't waste your time.

rockets, shotguns and i think heavy will all move sticky pipes from where they got placed. so if you see a stack of them shoot a rocket at them to move them or at least spread them out.

just because you are uber doens't mean you can do whatever you want. sgs will still bounce you and you can't grab the flag or cap the point. so the main goal while uber is destruction, whether it be sgs or that sniper or whatever behind the lines. take something out .. then worry about the cap
http://www.tf2items.com/id/evagizanked
the artist formerly known as Replica

l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l3eeron » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:07 am

[quote="Replica";p="45255"]
rockets, shotguns and i think heavy will all move sticky pipes from where they got placed. so if you see a stack of them shoot a rocket at them to move them or at least spread them out.
[/quote]

The scout's/engy's pistols are good at moving sticky bombs too

l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l3eeron » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:14 am

Oh, heres another thing to point out

When you're medic, dont forget you can cap too!

I see lots of medics just hang back and while their healee is trying to cap...

If its too hostile to stand in the middle of the cap, try n dance on the edge of the cap, knowing the boundaries of the cap zones is key for this.

specially if you're uber, you better be standing on that cap

Zman
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Zman » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:42 pm

Tip foe spys

1. you should usually be changing disguises for one if you have been spotted they wont know its you two if your a pyro in a sniping place they will "spy test" you so use commen sense know were you are
Patrick: "I wumbo, you wumbo, he she we wumbo, wumboing, wumbology, they study of wumbo...come on Spongebob, this is first grade!"